Author Topic: Diary summary week ending 30th July  (Read 1700 times)

Offline candleflame

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Diary summary week ending 30th July
« Reply #18 on: Thursday 27 July 23 16:30 BST (UK) »
It’s colder inside the house than outside today!
North East of England

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Friday 28 July 23 09:43 BST (UK) »
Hello all. It’s been a while since I posted, but I still read most of the diary threads.

I just wanted to let everyone know that I started a new thread which  might be of interest to those who frequent the diary threads:

https://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=875003.new#new

:)

Offline Viktoria

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Friday 28 July 23 20:52 BST (UK) »
Just watching “ The secret world of biscuits, “ can you believe it?
99 pence for 14 Puffin biscuit  bars, own brand answer to Penguins which were £1 -14  for 14.
Sometime in the 70’s ,what did they cost pre Covid?
A lot more but even more now.

Now watching Bollywood at The Proms, a tribute to the voice of so many songs that defined the sound of those films, Lata  Mangeshkar.
A very high almost childish voice ,she was quite an old lady when she made many recordings.
She died last year,hope there is at least one of her recordings played.

Viktoria.

Offline louisa maud

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Saturday 29 July 23 16:31 BST (UK) »
Well church fete today, hard work but I am home now putting  my feet up,  really hard work, not many people  don’t know why, someone said it is not a good time but we try to space out 3 over a year,  it is always the same , staff contribute, staff buy stuff and that is how it goes time after time, we took just over £700,  where it came from, I know not but it did from somewhere and we were pleased..
I won a box of chocolate mallows, guess what folks, no jam in the middle like there used to be when I was a child, not had them for years,  nearly £2  a box now. 
Weather strange but when the sun  are out it was stifling, looks like rain now though.
Meal time down, I am not cooking I am so shattered, fish and chips will  be good enough for me.
Hope everyone is feeling chipper today.

LM
Census information is Crown Copyright,
from  www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Granath Sweden and London
Garner, Marylebone Paddington  Northolt Ilford
Garner, Devon
Garner New Zealand
Maddieson
Parkinson St Pancras,
Jenkins Marylebone Paddington
Mizon/Mison/Myson Paddington
Tindal Marylebone Paddington
Tocock, (name changed to Ellis) London
Southam Marylebone, Paddington
Bragg Lambeth 1800's
Edermaniger(Maniger) Essex Kent Canada (Toronto)
Coveney Kent Lambeth
Sondes kent and London

Offline Viktoria

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Saturday 29 July 23 18:20 BST (UK) »
We don ‘t do Fairs like we used to,so few people willing to give hours of work.
The last straw was when with a young Vicar who coached a Youth football team dud not help us ( average age 80!) to lift big boxes of white elephants!
Well they felt so heavy !
Hardly any young men.
A bit better now but no fairs, however we have a massive JigSaw Festival coming later this year . Help at our church from two others but one not so helpful ,a group of four .
It lasts a week and is a good fund raiser.I will be there in one capacity or another ,I like being in the kitchen or serving food.
We do mid morning snacks,light lunches later and afternoon tea .
Loads of baking etc.
Good fun.
Makes about £6,000.
That us one third of the total ,the other two churches that help really well get a third also but the fourth - don’t think they get a full third as they do not get involved.
Our church is smack bang in the town centre near shops and supermarkets etc so lots if passing trade but also The East Lancs Railway run services from Bury all week, beneficial to them and us.
Well publicised too so people from far and wide.
I haven’t done any jigsaws this year ,we sell new,used but all the parts there and some already made ,very popular are WasJigs , you do not see what you are making but what for example  the people on the front picture are seeing opposite them eg in a Railway carriage .
Had a check on small plastic containers as I usually do individual trifles and bake .
Did a coffee cake one year and used those very crisp highly baked coffee beans people can crunch .
A woman asked “What  is THAT.!” Flicking it on her plate, “ A coffee bean you can crunch ,very light and crisp and meant to be eaten as we would peanuts etc,but of course coffee flavoured “.
“ Hope it did not spoil your cake “.
“ it looked like a dead beetle, .”
Well as she had chosen the cake from the display with a label saying Coffee Cake ,and there were more  beans on each slice she ought to have known.
Nowt so queer as folk.
Hope you all have a nice day tomorrow, cold here and very wet for a spell this morning .
Cheerio .Viktoria.

Offline louisa maud

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Sunday 30 July 23 17:07 BST (UK) »
We don't have many young men to help but Saturday we did manage to get a chap to put the tables up, something us women usually do  , all over 80 now, so thankful to the chap concerned , the fund raiser group are hoping that the 4 people who helped will help again , if not there will be no further fund  raising in  future if we can't manage it,  we need money with the cost of what the church has to pay to the diocese having risen again.

Lousy day today, rained almost constantly since about 2pm ish, so sorry for those on holiday,

Hope everyone, despite the weather is having  a good weekend, some might of course have the sun

LM

Garner, Devon
Garner New Zealand
Maddieson
Parkinson St Pancras,
Bragg Lambeth 1800's
Coveney Kent Lambeth
Sondes kent and London

Online BumbleB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Sunday 30 July 23 17:13 BST (UK) »
LM - I had no idea that a church had to pay fees to the Diocese  :o  (sorry, I gave up religion when I was about 13).  :-X
Transcriptions and NBI are merely finding aids.  They are NOT a substitute for original record entries.
Remember - "They'll be found when they want to be found" !!!
If you don't ask the question, you won't get an answer.
He/she who never made a mistake, never made anything.
Archbell - anywhere, any date
Kendall - WRY
Milner - WRY
Appleyard - WRY

Online radstockjeff

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Sunday 30 July 23 17:29 BST (UK) »
Farewell service this morning to the  minister at the local Methodist Church who is moving to pastures new in September. Good turnout, probably over 60, which is way above the norm.We are not members there but still hold our membership at another Methodist Church in the Circuit, but for convenience , 5 minutes walk rather than half an hour car journey, so its a no brainer really. We have been attending on an irregular basis for a while. We have had much better pastoral care from this Minister than we ever got from the one in our "real" church since our dear Nick died three years since. But that's another story.
It was an emotional time this morning for the Reverend gent and particularly at the close when presentations and speeches were made. It was quite obvious that from comments he will be greatly missed.
And then we followed with tea and coffee and a  very nice salad lunch in the church hall, prepared by the "kitchen team", with donations for Cancer Research.
Nurse, Musther, Smith, Julnes, Rogers, Parsons,Grieves(Greaves,Greeves),Wood,Cray,Scrine,Shellard,Greenstock,

There's nothing wrong with being mediocre...as long as you're good at it!

Offline louisa maud

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Sunday 30 July 23 17:30 BST (UK) »
They most certainly do, think it might be called "the family purse" but not 100 % sure I'm ashamed to say,  it is a huge amount. LM

PS
No, it is called " the parish share or quota"

Garner, Devon
Garner New Zealand
Maddieson
Parkinson St Pancras,
Bragg Lambeth 1800's
Coveney Kent Lambeth
Sondes kent and London