Author Topic: St Patrick's COI Ballymoney  (Read 659 times)

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: St Patrick's COI Ballymoney
« Reply #18 on: Tuesday 25 July 23 08:35 BST (UK) »
I know you were really looking to find where St. Patrick's baptismal register is kept (glad jon_ni found contact details for you) but I had another reason for searching for more details.
However, you did not have all the information that I posted- I know there's a lot so perhaps you need to reread it all a few times.

He was born in Ballymoney ( castle st)  his parents were born in Coleraine  area ..
I've already posted details about Susan's family in Ballymoney (not Coleraine area).

Ellen Graham 1896  ( who is not on any census and died before 1901 )
I posted link to Ellen's death registration and the cause of death may fit in with the story you had been told about a fire.

My grandfather was definetely baptised as my gran  said   to him one day  that's  a Catholic  church and wondered why Susan would  have baptised him at a Catholic church which never made sense at all ! ( wish I remember what church was mentioned .I think my gran may have thought St Patrick's was a Catholic church for some odd reason when it's  not.
Our Lady & St. Patrick's is the Catholic church in Ballymoney or perhaps your grandmother was thinking of another Catholic church called St. Patrick's.

Since the family moved around so much it's probably not too surprising that they didn't register all the children's births. My parents somehow didn't realise she hadn't been baptised until she was 7 years old.

If St. Patrick's don't have a record of James' baptism then either it didn't get recorded (this unfortunately did happen) or he was baptised elsewhere- St. Paul's COI in Garvagh most likely if the family were in Garvagh as late as that.
Valuation Revision Book VAL/12/B/30/2E (1896-1910) page 139/151 Main St. Garvagh- #115 Nixon Graham 1906-1908
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Online Cell

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Two words that can change the world "Thank You"
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Tuesday 25 July 23 13:54 BST (UK) »
I know you were really looking to find where St. Patrick's baptismal register is kept (glad jon_ni found contact details for you) but I had another reason for searching for more details.
However, you did not have all the information that I posted- I know there's a lot so perhaps you need to reread it all a few times.

He was born in Ballymoney ( castle st)  his parents were born in Coleraine  area ..
I've already posted details about Susan's family in Ballymoney (not Coleraine area).

Ellen Graham 1896  ( who is not on any census and died before 1901 )
I posted link to Ellen's death registration and the cause of death may fit in with the story you had been told about a fire.

My grandfather was definetely baptised as my gran  said   to him one day  that's  a Catholic  church and wondered why Susan would  have baptised him at a Catholic church which never made sense at all ! ( wish I remember what church was mentioned .I think my gran may have thought St Patrick's was a Catholic church for some odd reason when it's  not.
Our Lady & St. Patrick's is the Catholic church in Ballymoney or perhaps your grandmother was thinking of another Catholic church called St. Patrick's.

Since the family moved around so much it's probably not too surprising that they didn't register all the children's births. My parents somehow didn't realise she hadn't been baptised until she was 7 years old.

If St. Patrick's don't have a record of James' baptism then either it didn't get recorded (this unfortunately did happen) or he was baptised elsewhere- St. Paul's COI in Garvagh most likely if the family were in Garvagh as late as that.
Valuation Revision Book VAL/12/B/30/2E (1896-1910) page 139/151 Main St. Garvagh- #115 Nixon Graham 1906-1908
Hi
That could  be Ellen's death thank you!  I have looked for a death  who was born later than that. As she is on one of his  army records pages  as being 2 years  old  , John 7 years old on same record  ( who was 100% born in 1890) - they've  totally messed up their ages  of the children on some of the records.
 It is hard  to tell if it is her , but probably  most likely as there is no one else as a young child death around the years. And it would explain  the fire story quite a bit.
Yes I know my Boyd's come from there.
But even though Nixon and his brothers were not born there ,  they were born in Gavargh (  I got confused saying they were born in Coleraine area) it wasn't just Nixon who lived  for a time in  Ballymoney in castle st, his brother George did too, George settled there into castle st ,   married  twice, and was living at Castle st  to at least 1918.

His brother  George was born  abt 1860 ( married Margret Ann Alexander in 1880 and lived there in Gate end Ballymoney   ( before Nixon and susan  boyd married ) and had a few kids born in Gate end , then married  Annie lamont in 1899 and lived at castle st Ballymoney .

They   also had another older brother   before civil reg too . He was born abt 1859 ( William) , but he moved to Ballyclare too, and John 1870 moved down  too and married in Ballyclare.

It.s really  hard to say if that is Nixon junior  or Nixon senior in 1906 to 1908  ( because Nixon's senior , ie Ellen  Townsley and Nixon)., disappear off  the planet after 1970 - no death at all for Nixon   , Nixon's brother( James )married Ellen Townsley  sister ( Ester  Townsley) so have  even traced those too  ,  Ive been searching for years for a death for Nixon senior  , not only  in Ireland , just I  case they emigrated or hopped over to Scotland  ( he is not the one in 1898 , he is impossible to be  mine )   . And if still alive in 1901 ,  may be so badly mistranscribed.
if it is Nixon junior it would probably mean that my grandfather was baptised somewhere around there. But I think I'll  check out st Patricks in  Ballymoney first - as that as where my grandfather said  that he was born . He would have no reason to think Ballymoney ( he didn't  just think it . He " knew it"  totally 100% thought he was born in Ballymoney )  if  he was born somewhere else.  He could have picked anywhere  as two of his  brothers are  born in  Ballymoney ,  his other brother Ballyclare and his other brother  in Gavargh.

I wouldn't  like to say for sure where his other subling was born , Susan ( my grandfather's  sister) her birth could be anywhere, but  I think there's  a great possibility she may have been  born in Bushmills  as she was born in 1903 and she has 6 and half months next to her at the time of recording  the bushmills address on the army records. And like my grandfather  her birth hasn't  been registered.
  They lived there in 1903 and 1904 that I know  of  .  He was there until 16th Jan at least,  as I  have a record  of him in the paper in the  Bushmills petty sessions  in  Jan 1904 too besides the address on  one of his  army records pages  .He  said he was leaving town  - so moved on from there early  1904 . A  dog bit him on Christmas  eve  . He  said he didn't  want to prosecute and have the dog destroyed  because  he said he was leaving town anyway,  and didn't  want to leave an ill- feeling behind.
 it can get quite confusing sometimes to say the least with them moving so much!
Please excuse any typos I am using my phone.

Thanks again
Very Kind regards  :)

Census information in my posts are crown copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.u

Offline Jon_ni

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Tuesday 25 July 23 14:49 BST (UK) »
Just highlighting William was Castle Street, Antrim vs John Castle St, Ballymoney.

William 1900 Castle st too...
as two of his brothers are born in Ballymoney
it can get quite confusing sometimes to say the least with them moving so much

Aghadowey
Dec.1900- Son William born Castle St., Antrim
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/birth_returns/births_1901/01968/1758553.pdf
In 1901 they are living in Castle St. in Antrim town

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Tuesday 25 July 23 16:34 BST (UK) »
The 1894 death for wee Ellen Graham gives her as daughter of a tinsmith. Fortunately the occupation helps sort them out from other Graham families in the area.

Nixon Graham was born at Ballynameen on the edge of Garvagh just south of St. Paul's COI. Unfortunately baptisms start 1873.
https://www.townlands.ie/londonderry/coleraine/desertoghill/garvagh/ballynameen/

His brother  George was born  abt 1860 ( married Margret Ann Alexander in 1880 and lived there in Gate end Ballymoney   ( before Nixon and susan  boyd married ) and had a few kids born in Gate end , then married  Annie lamont in 1899 and lived at castle st Ballymoney .
George born about 1857. Margaret Ann married as Alexander but Alexanders also known as McCalshiner, McCaldridge, etc.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!