Author Topic: Thomas Milne and his wife Janet (Jessie ) Henderson Burial  (Read 257 times)

Offline Christine Buck

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Thomas Milne and his wife Janet (Jessie ) Henderson Burial
« on: Tuesday 25 July 23 05:52 BST (UK) »
Hello there, i was wondering if anyone can have a look for me and see if they can find the Above
Couples Burial place? in Scotland. I think it would be in Aberdeenshire (not sure).

Thomas Milne was born in Rhynie in 1800 and Died in 1872                               
Janet Milne (nee Henderson)  was born in Culsamond, Alford in 1805 and Died in 1889

much appreciated

Christine

Offline ruthhelen

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Thomas Milne and his wife Janet (Jessie ) Henderson Burial
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 25 July 23 07:18 BST (UK) »
Looks like they are buried in Insch, although Jessie's date of death has been transcribed as 1869, rather than 1889 in the ANESFHS index - if you have the death registrations, you will be able to confirm the dates.

Kirkyard of Insch
Stone: 242

Jessie Henderson 11 Oct 1869
Thomas Milne 6 Mar 1872

Ruth
McArthur, Milne, Mitchell, Black, Robertson, Morrison, Slessor, Lawrence - Aberdeenshire/Banffshire. Muir, Waddell, Fraser, Orr, Cowden - Lanarkshire/Renfrewshire/Dunbartonshire. Dalziel, Dalzell, Gourley, Cromie, Crombie, Bell - Co Down. Lewis, Corrigan, Morris, Cox, Hay - Monmouthshire/Pembrokeshire.  Baker, Ginger, Woodhurst, Swift, Jones - Kent/London.

Offline GR2

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 25 July 23 08:31 BST (UK) »
Looks like them in 1871 on FreeCEN:

https://www.freecen.org.uk/search_records/59026d2ae9379091b1e4ae36/thomas-milne-1871-aberdeenshire-oyne-1801-?locale=en

And 1861:

https://www.freecen.org.uk/search_records/590269a9e9379091b1d62791/thomas-milne-1861-aberdeenshire-oyne-1801-?locale=en

And 1851:

https://www.freecen.org.uk/search_records/59026690e9379091b1c9737a/thomas-milne-1851-aberdeenshire-oyne-1801-?locale=en

And 1841:

https://www.freecen.org.uk/search_records/5a140039f4040b9d6ee41419/thomas-milne-1841-aberdeenshire-oyne-1801-?locale=en

There was another Rootschatter asking about the Milne family quite recently. If you do a search, you will come up with their posts and the replies.

The correct date is 1889. The Daily Free Press 15-10-1889:

At Bank House, Alford, on the 11th inst., Mrs Jessie
HENDERSON, widow of the late Thomas Milne, Newton of
Ardoyne, Oyne, aged 80 years.

Aberdeen Journal 20-3-1872:

At Newton of Ardoyne, by Insch, on the 8th inst., THOMAS
MILNE, Farmer there, aged 72 years.

Offline Christine Buck

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 25 July 23 08:52 BST (UK) »
Hello GR2,
Thankyou for your reply. I have been advised on here  that they are buried in Insch, I've searched on Find a Grave and Billions of Graves and found nothing!

I think that recent roots member asking about William Milne... was me. Thomas is his Williams father.

Christine

Offline Christine Buck

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 25 July 23 09:00 BST (UK) »
Hello Ruthhelen,

Thankyou for your reply, i have searched on Find a Grave and Billions of Graves and can't find anything about them.

Christine

Offline ruthhelen

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 25 July 23 09:12 BST (UK) »
Thankyou for your reply, i have searched on Find a Grave and Billions of Graves and can't find anything about them.

The reference I gave you was from the index to the Aberdeen & North East Scotland Family History Society (ANESFHS) memorial inscriptions booklets, which you can view here: https://anesfhs.org.uk/databanks/memorial-inscriptions/miindex

The booklets are available to order from the ANESFHS website.

Ruth
McArthur, Milne, Mitchell, Black, Robertson, Morrison, Slessor, Lawrence - Aberdeenshire/Banffshire. Muir, Waddell, Fraser, Orr, Cowden - Lanarkshire/Renfrewshire/Dunbartonshire. Dalziel, Dalzell, Gourley, Cromie, Crombie, Bell - Co Down. Lewis, Corrigan, Morris, Cox, Hay - Monmouthshire/Pembrokeshire.  Baker, Ginger, Woodhurst, Swift, Jones - Kent/London.

Online Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 25 July 23 10:40 BST (UK) »
Don't imagine that either of those web sites is a complete source. That is very far from being the case.

For a start they mostly record gravestones, and not everyone has a stone.

Furthermore, both those sites depend on some volunteer having happened to photograph/survey a graveyard. It would appear that no-one has done Insch so far.

The reference given by Ruth is also compiled by volunteers, in this case from the Aberdeen and North-East Scotland Family History Society, and it covers many but not all graveyards in North-East Scotland. Again, it does not include people who are not mentioned on a gravestone.

Surviving original records of burials in Scotland (including those with no stone) are usually held by the local council. In this case, Aberdeenshire Council's burial records are (mostly) available online at www.deceasedonline.com for a small fee.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.