Author Topic: Malcolm McLeod (1820-1892) and Catherine McLeod (1818-1890) Hill of Fearn, Ross  (Read 141 times)

Offline Sildeag

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
I have been unsuccessful at finding the individual birth locations.  Can anyone help?

Malcolm McLeod's parents are Murdoch McLeod crofter and Catherine McLeod (nee McLeod) and
Catherine McLeod's parents are Murdoch McLeod shepherd and Catherine McLeod (nee McLeod)

Their living daughter Mary (Lexy and Jessie died young) was informant on Malcolm's death cert.

I have a Murdoch McLeod (abt 1798-1865) of Kincardine, Ross-shire and Catherine McLeod (nee McLeod) (1796-1885) Knochan, Assynt but they seem to have no son named Malcolm (their son Murdoch was born in 1820 and married Ann Morrison) or daughter Catherine.  I have a few other Murdochs but I don't have any others in a relationship with Catherine McLeod (nee McLeod).

Thanking you in advance.

Online CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Aren’t their respective birthplaces on the census entries?  1851/61/71/81
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline Sildeag

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
I couldn't find them in the censuses.  I have one Murdoch McLeod 57 (abt 1794) born Lochbroom with wife Ann living in Fearn in 1851.  Others Angus, Kenneth, Donald, and Mary.

There is a "Malcolm was christened 5 March, 1816, and his marriage to Catherine McLeod, also from Riff, was recorded as 5 March, 1845."  Camusglassellan 51-67, Camusglassellan 51-69 and Camusglassellan 51-67 https://freepages.rootsweb.com/~coigach/genealogy/n51reiff.htm#69

But I am not certain this is sufficient to prove that these neighbours in Coigach ended up in Hill of Fearn. 

It was a bit of a tangle but the site goes on to say: "Sometime after the 1861 census the family moves to Hill of Fearn in Easter Ross, where Catherine's death registration in 1890 notes her mother above had also been maiden surnamed MacLeod"

Therefore this question is closed.  Thanks for being available to help.