Author Topic: 1945 Divorce Record - is there any way to access?  (Read 758 times)

Online MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
Re: 1945 Divorce Record - is there any way to access?
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 26 July 23 18:51 BST (UK) »
From someone's family tree.

Richard Craddock Gray got remarried on 15 July 1944 at St Mungo's RC Church, Glasgow. He stated he was a bachelor at the time.

A Michael and Mary Joyce show as witnesses.

Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline ccaufield

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 26 July 23 19:34 BST (UK) »
Have you obtained the marriage certificate for Richard and Isabella? I see they were married in Kilmarnock in 1919. Ref 597/9. This is from www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

If so there should be what is called an RCE attached to it (Register of Corrected Entries) which will not give you all the details of the divorce but tell you who instigated the divorce, when granted and their addresses, if known.

Hope this helps,

Dorrie

Ha! This is likely the only record I hadn't downloaded, and there was the RCE! You are correct, no details of the divorce are given, but there is a date and an address. I guess I'll just have to wait until 2045 to see the actual records.

Offline ccaufield

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 26 July 23 19:35 BST (UK) »
From someone's family tree.

Richard Craddock Gray got remarried on 15 July 1944 at St Mungo's RC Church, Glasgow. He stated he was a bachelor at the time.

A Michael and Mary Joyce show as witnesses.

I think it's from my tree lol. That was his second marriage, which took place 4 months after the divorce was finalized.

Offline ccaufield

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 26 July 23 19:37 BST (UK) »

Also, marriage was 1944, did you mean to say 1945 for divorce to first wife?

For some reason, I am not finding the divorce indexed on the NRS website, which I thought it would be as they say:

From 1935 to 1984, individual divorce cases are listed in our catalogue and can be found by searching for either party involved in the action.

And, neither the 1919 and 1944 marriages, nor the 1966 death, are indexed with a middle name for Richard.

In 1892, not 1893, there is this birth:

GRAY
RICHARD CRADDOC
CRADDOCK
M
578 / 686
AYR

So if your chap, it certainly looks like he rarely used 'Craddock' or even 'C', on records in later life.

I think I was lucky and found the record before it was pulled from the site. Originally, it should have been released in 2020, but when the law was changed it got pushed to 2045.

And you are correct, he often does not use that middle name, but I do have birth, marriage (x 2), divorce, and death records. 

Online scotmum

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • A tree full of life, a life full of branches!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 26 July 23 23:11 BST (UK) »
They used to be, but I think they have deleted references to divorces less than 100(?) years ago from the catalogue.

I wondered about that, but there were several other 1940s divorce references returned in the search. See example below, and their website still indicated "From 1935 to 1984, individual divorce cases are listed in our catalogue".
"Trees without roots fall over!"

""People who never look backward to their ancestors will never look forward to posterity." - Edmund Burke

Don't just wait for the storm to pass, learn to dance in the rain.

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Be curious and however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at.”  Stephen Hawking

In a world where you can be anything, be kind .

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 27 July 23 10:06 BST (UK) »
That's very curious.

I have a couple in my tree who were divorced in 1950. Some years ago I was able to order and look at all the documents about this case in West Register House, before the West Search Room was closed. I put the case reference (CS258/26264) into the NRS catalogue search, and it returned no results. So that set of documents, at least, is not included in the catalague now, although it was then.

So I searched in the NRS catalogue for the term divorce from 1940 to 1950, which returned 37 results. Of the 37, most seemed to be more general, and did not name individuals.

So I searched for listings starting CS (Court of Session), which produced just 6 results, including the two in your screenshot. Using CS258 narrowed it down to 4 of the above 6, not including yours. See screenshots.

So I deduce that they have indeed removed from the online catalogue all references to divorces from 1940 to 1950 inclusive, except these 6 cases. Why these 6, I wonder? What is different about them?

Where exactly did your screenshot come from? Is it from a printed book? Does the rest of the page include any divorces in that period that are not listed in my screenshots?

Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline ccaufield

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 27 July 23 18:33 BST (UK) »
I love this forum - you have such excellent research skills! Forfairan - I took that screenshot from the NAS website in January of 2018. They must of all been removed after. My guess about the remaining ones - they just got missed. Human error.

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Thursday 27 July 23 19:43 BST (UK) »
Some day, if I'm in the search room, I might ask about that. I have dug out a couple of other examples of divorces for which I have seen all the documents but which are no longer in the online catalogue.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.