Author Topic: Patrick DOYLE and Margaret BRICE married in NYC 1855-60  (Read 243 times)

Offline Lambendsor (aka IGS)

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Patrick DOYLE and Margaret BRICE married in NYC 1855-60
« on: Tuesday 25 July 23 23:50 BST (UK) »
Can anyone find a record on, say, FindMyPast, of the marriage of Patrick DOYLE and Margaret Ann BRICE/BRYCE at, presumably, a Catholic church in Manhattan sometime between 1855 and 1860?

Patrick DOYLE and Margaret BRICE were the parents of Jane DOYLE (later ERHARDT) - born 1864-67 - and, I think, William DOYLE, who was born c1866 and seems to have died between the two 1870 censuses.

Incidentally, I think Patrick's brother William DOYLE was married to Margaret BRICE/BRYCE's sister, Mary Anne BRICE - sister of John and Henry BRICE - who died 15 May 1854. They bore Jane DOYLE - born 14 Aug 1851, baptized at St Columba, Manhattan, 24 Aug 1851 - and Bartholomew DOYLE - born 4 Jan 1854, baptized 15 Jan 1854 St Columba, Manhattan, died 21 Jul 1874.

Hope this isn't too convoluted...
ENDSOR: Tamworth/Manchester
LAMB: Leeds/Manchester
SMITH: Manchester
HOLMES: Kirk Ireton/Manchester
WORTHINGTON: Middleton/Manchester
SHORROCK: Manchester
BROOKS: Wilmslow/Knutsford
By marriage in Manchester: BAXENDALE, DODD, EYERS, FIRTH, FISHER, FO(R)STER, HARGREAVES, J(A/E)RVIS, McKEOWN, OSBALDESTON, PICKWELL, PODMORE, SCHOFIELD, SHALLCROSS, STONES, WALKER
GREY, DOYLE, GOLDEN, MONAHAN: Ireland
HAWE, FRENEY, NARY: Co. Kilkenny
DONOHO and variants: Co. Longford

Offline eileenwilson

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Patrick DOYLE and Margaret BRICE married in NYC 1855-60
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 16 August 23 14:50 BST (UK) »
Online tree for this couple indicates they were married 11 December 1859 at Holy Cross, Manhattan with her name given as Margaret Terssa Bruce.  They also have a link to the 1860 Census showing Patrick, aged 34, a liquorst(?), with with Marg. T., aged 28, and son Barth., aged 6 (who must be from a first marriage of either Patrick or Margaret), born New York. Also in the household is Wm. Doyle, aged 33, a policeman (Patrick's later profession), born Ireland, and a Thos. Nevin, aged 15, a bartender, born New York.

Further info from that tree shows Patrick born in Co. Longford, Ireland, the son of Bartholomew Doyle & Ann (possibly McKean). That info from Patrick's second marriage in 1884 to Ann Byrnes.

There must be a third marriage (Patrick's first) resulting in child named Barth. in 1860 Census.  Also, Patrick's naturalization names a Bartholomew Doyle as his witness (dated 1865), who may be his father who dies in Brooklyn in 1868.

Offline amondg

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 25 August 23 06:59 BST (UK) »
Find My Past has a transcription of the marriage 11 December 1859, Holy Cross Manhattan
Patrick Doyle to Margaret Teresa Brice.

The actual image would give more information

You could write to the archives of the Archdiocese of New York and request complete information.

The index doesn't list William Boyle

Offline Lambendsor (aka IGS)

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 13 October 23 22:47 BST (UK) »
Ack! Apologies for not acknowledging these replies - and thanks to you both for looking into this. Since posting my query I realized that I could get the basic details on FindMyPast without a subscription - and it turns out the online tree referenced is mine!
ENDSOR: Tamworth/Manchester
LAMB: Leeds/Manchester
SMITH: Manchester
HOLMES: Kirk Ireton/Manchester
WORTHINGTON: Middleton/Manchester
SHORROCK: Manchester
BROOKS: Wilmslow/Knutsford
By marriage in Manchester: BAXENDALE, DODD, EYERS, FIRTH, FISHER, FO(R)STER, HARGREAVES, J(A/E)RVIS, McKEOWN, OSBALDESTON, PICKWELL, PODMORE, SCHOFIELD, SHALLCROSS, STONES, WALKER
GREY, DOYLE, GOLDEN, MONAHAN: Ireland
HAWE, FRENEY, NARY: Co. Kilkenny
DONOHO and variants: Co. Longford