Author Topic: Ronald Light record  (Read 144 times)

Offline Davedrave

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Ronald Light record
« on: Wednesday 26 July 23 09:05 BST (UK) »
I would like to know whether the record of Ronald Vivian Light, born in Leicester in 1885, a gunner in the HAC, is online, in particular any details of his court martial.

ESSEX: Cramphorn Raven Sams Sayers Taylor; GLOS: Beacham/Beauchamp; HERTS: Chamberlain Chuck; LEICS: Allot Bentley Godfrey Greasley Hunt Hurst Jarvis Lane Lea Light Woodward; LINCS: Lambert Mitchell Muse ; STAFFS: Hodgkins Jarvis; SURREY: Light; WARKS: Astley/Chesshire Bradbury Hicken/Hickin Hudson; WORCS: Ballinger Beauchamp Laight

Online KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Ronald Light record
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 26 July 23 09:10 BST (UK) »
Please remember that some two-thirds of WW1 Service Records were destroyed in a WW2 bombing raid.

Where have you looked?

Have you found a Medal Index Card?
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline ALAMO2008

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 26 July 23 09:27 BST (UK) »
Medal Card
CHAPMAN ROBINSON McKAY O'MALLEY

Online ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 26 July 23 09:32 BST (UK) »
There are many contemporary newspaper reports of his court martial in 1917 for sending false telegrams to his CO purporting to come from the War Office; also in connection with an abortion case in the same year; and his trial for murder in 1920.

National Archives has his records as an officer in the Royal Engineers. The HAC medal roll notes that he held a commission in the RE from 27/2/15 to 1/8/16.

https://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/C1106620
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Davedrave

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 26 July 23 09:35 BST (UK) »
Please remember that some two-thirds of WW1 Service Records were destroyed in a WW2 bombing raid.

Where have you looked?

Have you found a Medal Index Card?

Thanks. I know they exist because they have been seen by an author, but I really want to know more detail if possible. (Light was the accused in the Green Bicycle murder case. Much was made of his honourable character as an officer. Sir Edward Marshall Hall was his barrister.)
ESSEX: Cramphorn Raven Sams Sayers Taylor; GLOS: Beacham/Beauchamp; HERTS: Chamberlain Chuck; LEICS: Allot Bentley Godfrey Greasley Hunt Hurst Jarvis Lane Lea Light Woodward; LINCS: Lambert Mitchell Muse ; STAFFS: Hodgkins Jarvis; SURREY: Light; WARKS: Astley/Chesshire Bradbury Hicken/Hickin Hudson; WORCS: Ballinger Beauchamp Laight

Online ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 26 July 23 09:47 BST (UK) »
If you are looking for the (extensive) newspaper reports of the court martial in 1917, search for "Ronald Light" rather than "Ronald Vivian Light"
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Davedrave

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 26 July 23 09:47 BST (UK) »
Many thanks, I’ve found press reports now. I’m not related but my Lights in Leicester were living here during the Green Bicycle events and the murder took place in my family’s back yard, as it were.

Quite how Ronald Light could be portayed in court as an upstanding officer and gentleman, beggars belief.

Offline Davedrave

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 26 July 23 09:49 BST (UK) »
If you are looking for the (extensive) newspaper reports of the court martial in 1917, search for "Ronald Light" rather than "Ronald Vivian Light"

Thanks, that’s useful to know.