Author Topic: Windows 11  (Read 810 times)

Offline suey

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • The light is on but there's no-one at home!
    • View Profile
Windows 11
« on: Wednesday 26 July 23 09:27 BST (UK) »

I am about to collect a new laptop..Windows 11.  My old machine is Windows 7.

My questions are - do I ask the fix it man to transfer everything from one machine to the other ?  I do have a lot of ‘stuff’ that could be junked.

Do I have everything put onto an external hard-drive and attempt do it myself…not terribly tech savvy, but have used this method before for moving documents and photos.

Apart from my family history program it is only used for documents and photos.

I’m a bit concerned. Everything important is backed-up on external hard drive and tribalpages.  I’ve used Paf5 for years but have heard that it doesn’t work with W11…..
Or do I simply start anew….? 
All census lookups are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Sussex - Knapp. Nailard. Potten. Coleman. Pomfrey. Carter. Picknell
Greenwich/Woolwich. - Clowting. Davis. Kitts. Ferguson. Lowther. Carvalho. Pressman. Redknap. Argent.
Hertfordshire - Sturgeon. Bird. Rule. Claxton. Taylor. Braggins

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Windows 11
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 26 July 23 15:55 BST (UK) »
I got a new computer early this year and got rid of a lot of dross beforehand. Everything was transferred over and there was a file named "Files from old computer". There were some broken files that were not supported by windows 11. You may want to check things out with the assistant at the shop where you intend to buy from first before you buy. That's what I did.
Carol
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

RESTORERS:PLEASE DO NOT USE MY RESTORES WITHOUT PRIOR PERMISSION - THANK YOU

Offline Dyingout

• RootsChat Senior
  • My Father Charles in his hockey playing days
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 26 July 23 16:14 BST (UK) »
PAF works with Win 11 but you may need to upgrade to 5.2 to be certain.
Dow/Dowe Norfolk and Suffolk
Mulley/Wilden Suffolk
Loome/lombe Norfolk

Offline suey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 26 July 23 16:25 BST (UK) »
I got a new computer early this year and got rid of a lot of dross beforehand. Everything was transferred over and there was a file named "Files from old computer". There were some broken files that were not supported by windows 11. You may want to check things out with the assistant at the shop where you intend to buy from first before you buy. That's what I did.
Carol

Thank you,  I think I’m really only concerned about my word documents. I will ask though.  My old laptop is still working fingers crossed 🤞 and I do have hard copies.
Greenwich/Woolwich. - Clowting. Davis. Kitts. Ferguson. Lowther. Carvalho. Pressman. Redknap. Argent.

Offline suey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 26 July 23 16:27 BST (UK) »
PAF works with Win 11 but you may need to upgrade to 5.2 to be certain.

Thank you, can I do that afterwards or should I do it before ?

Offline jc26red

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 26 July 23 17:14 BST (UK) »
Re word documents.

Most new Win 11 laptops/PCs come with Microsoft 365 loaded, you will need to pay for a yearly subscription to use 365 though. Or you can search for Microsoft office downloads if you prefer a one off fee (my preference).

Alternatively there are other free apps which open word documents.

So long as they are backed up, your documents are safe until you are ready to make your choice on application.
Please acknowledge when a restorer works on your photos, it can take hours for them to work their magic

Please scan at 300dpi minimum to help save the restorers eyesight.

Offline suey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 26 July 23 17:45 BST (UK) »
Re word documents.

Most new Win 11 laptops/PCs come with Microsoft 365 loaded, you will need to pay for a yearly subscription to use 365 though. Or you can search for Microsoft office downloads if you prefer a one off fee (my preference).

Alternatively there are other free apps which open word documents.

So long as they are backed up, your documents are safe until you are ready to make your choice on application.

Many thanks for reply, I have purchased office, was offered the subscription option but declined as it would have been more costly in the long run.

Offline Ian Nelson

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 26 July 23 22:07 BST (UK) »
FREE Libroffice offers all the programs which comprise Office 365 and opens Word Documents and offers to save them in Libreoffice format or keep them as Word docs.
Just make sure you Download the App from LIBREOFFICE to avoid getting a 3rd party installer adding unwanted extras.
cheers, Ian
Norfolk, Nelsons of Gt Ryburgh, Gooch, Howman, COLLISONS,  Ainger, Couzens, Batrick (Norfolk & Dorset), Tubby ( also of Yorkshire) Cathcarts of Ireland, Lancashire & Isle of Wight) Dickinsons of Morecambe and Lancaster, Wilson of Poulton-le-Sands and Broughton.  Wilson - Ffrance of Rawcliffe,  Mitchells of Isle of Wight. Hair of Ayrshire, Williamson of Tradeston, Glasgow. Nelsons in Australia with Haywards Heath connections.

Offline suey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 27 July 23 11:49 BST (UK) »

Thanks for reply’s everyone, much appreciated  :)