Author Topic: Windows 11  (Read 811 times)

Offline andrewalston

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My granddad
    • View Profile
Re: Windows 11
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 01 August 23 15:03 BST (UK) »
Don't forget that you will STILL have your old machine after the new one makes its appearance.

That means that should anything not make the transfer first time round, you can examine the old box and decide what to do on an individual basis, without worrying too much about timescales.
Looking at ALSTON in south Ribble area, ALSTEAD and DONBAVAND/DUNBABIN etc. everywhere, HOWCROFT and MARSH in Bolton and Westhoughton, PICKERING in the Whitehaven area.

Census information is Crown Copyright. See www.nationalarchives.gov.uk for details.

Offline suey

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • The light is on but there's no-one at home!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 01 August 23 18:02 BST (UK) »
Don't forget that you will STILL have your old machine after the new one makes its appearance.

That means that should anything not make the transfer first time round, you can examine the old box and decide what to do on an individual basis, without worrying too much about timescales.

I have had everything from the old laptop put onto an external hard-drive.  I took a look and decided that eleven years worth of ‘stuff’ just wasn’t worth sorting through and deleting the dross and duplicate files.  Soooo, I’m on holiday just now but have decided to start fresh when I get home.   

Can’t believe my old lap-top was 11 years old, I found the original receipt for it ! 
All census lookups are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Sussex - Knapp. Nailard. Potten. Coleman. Pomfrey. Carter. Picknell
Greenwich/Woolwich. - Clowting. Davis. Kitts. Ferguson. Lowther. Carvalho. Pressman. Redknap. Argent.
Hertfordshire - Sturgeon. Bird. Rule. Claxton. Taylor. Braggins

Offline Biggles50

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 01 August 23 18:15 BST (UK) »
If you do not have a USB powered portable Hard Drive then I suggest that you buy one.

Plug it into your old Laptop and using Windows Explorer drag and drop the My Documents folder from your old Laptop to the portable Hard Drive.

Repeat for any other folders that you have stored on the Laptop that are not in the My Documents folder.

Reverse the procedure with your new Laptop.

It is always great computer management to have at least two and ideally three copies of all documents with each being stored on separate Hard Drives.

I use Western Digital Elements 2Tb Hard Drives that currently cost c£65, but other makes are fine.  I prefer these because they are powered via the USB socket other can require their own power supply.

Finally, on my PC I regularly make an exact copy of the content on the My Documents folder on to my USB Hard Drives using a free program called Free File Sync, it is very easy to use