Author Topic: Family Tree Software  (Read 326 times)

Offline gbuttery

• RootsChat Senior
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
Family Tree Software
« on: Wednesday 26 July 23 11:17 BST (UK) »
Hi, I am hoping to restart my research after a few years break (after not being able to progress further)
I just wanted to ask a general question. Do people keep their family trees on sites such as Ancestry.com and/or do you keep your tree on your own device using a commercial tree builder programme?
I used to build my tree using Family Tree Maker many moons ago. When I got a new computer (still many moons ago) I transferred to the free Roots Magic. It never quite transferred cleanly and took quite a bit of re-entering before I managed to input all my information.
The reason I am asking, is that I now have a new laptop and want to put my tree on it. I am thinking of buying the new Roots Magic programme, but worry I will not be able to transfer from PC to laptop. What do people think of this software? Is there a better one?
Sorry to ramble on a bit, but I am keen to get going again, but not so keen to waste my money if I cannot transfer information.
Thanks, Gill
Looking for ALMEY / ARTON / ASSERT/ ATKIN / BOWMAN / BRANTON / BRIGGS / BUTTERY / CAMPEY / CARLILE / CARTER / CLIFFE / FARNELL / FORD / FOWL/ FROKINGHAM / FROW / GIESLER / GODDARD / HODGE / KIDD / MAUD / MEINECKE / PEERS / POOL / PROCTER / ROBINSON / SMITH  / SPEED / TRIMINGHAM / TUTE / UFFINDELL / WINN

Offline martin hooper

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Family Tree Software
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 26 July 23 11:47 BST (UK) »
Hello Gill

Any of the software packages you mentioned are worthy. It's a matter of personal choice. My choice is Family Tree Maker. I think it looks better and is easier to use than Roots Magic. You've tried both so you can decide for yourself.

Transferring between different computers is straightforward. Do you have any cloud storage? If so put the files on there and voila you can access them from any computer. The alternative is putting the files on a drive that's physically movable like a USB stick.

Good luck

Martin 

Offline ChrissieL

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Ben and John Hardman meeting up in Cairo
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 26 July 23 13:46 BST (UK) »
I use both Ancestry and Family Tree Maker. I tend to work on my tree on Ancestry, you can then log on to FTM where it gives you the option to sync with Ancestry and this updates your FTM file.  Like Martin I prefer FTM to Roots Magic which I have also tried.  FTM is great for printing out various types of charts and trees and is easy to use

Chris
Staffordshire: Lawton Probyn Horrobin
Durham: Bamlett Hardman Winship Robinson
Suffolk: Leggett

Offline gbuttery

• RootsChat Senior
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 26 July 23 20:33 BST (UK) »
Thanks all. i did much prefer using Family Tree Maker. Much preferred it for printing out.
I think I'll look at the Family tree maker again.
Again, thanks for your help.
Looking for ALMEY / ARTON / ASSERT/ ATKIN / BOWMAN / BRANTON / BRIGGS / BUTTERY / CAMPEY / CARLILE / CARTER / CLIFFE / FARNELL / FORD / FOWL/ FROKINGHAM / FROW / GIESLER / GODDARD / HODGE / KIDD / MAUD / MEINECKE / PEERS / POOL / PROCTER / ROBINSON / SMITH  / SPEED / TRIMINGHAM / TUTE / UFFINDELL / WINN