Author Topic: Fordyce Family from Fordyce early 1800's and Davidson's from Boyndie  (Read 243 times)

Online lynellen

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Fordyce Family from Fordyce early 1800's and Davidson's from Boyndie
« on: Wednesday 26 July 23 15:27 BST (UK) »
I'm hoping someone can help track down an illigitimate child.

The Mother was Elizabeth Fordyce born 1802 in Fordyce.
In the kirk sessions for September 1816 there is a record of her being with child by an Alexander Davidson. There's a note of a letter from her Father, Mr Fordyce from Craigmills in Fordyce claiming Alexander Davidson one of his servants to be the father.
She would have been only 14 at the time.

I can find no record of this child's birth anywhere.

I was originally researching George Davidson who appeared to be the last child of John Davidson and Jannet Smout/Smollet from Boyndie, but I can find no record of George's birth.

From other records I have found that George would have been born around 1816/1817. He had an older brother named Alexander born in 1796 in Boyndie, who would have been 21 at the time of George's birth.

I am wondering if George Davidson is actually the child born to Elizabeth Fordyce and Alexander Davidson, but brought up by Alexander's parents as thiers.
The dates are right, but I don't know if it even the same Alexander Davidson, so it's a bit of a shot in the dark.

In the 1841 census, although George is by then married with his own children (wife and children living in Pilgair, Gamrie), he is recorded living as an ag.Lab for a John Fordyce (farmer) also in Gamrie at Whitehills.

This may just be a complete coincidence but I thought it worth following up.

Can anyone help shed some light on the child born to Elizabeth Fordyce and Alexander Davidson 1816/17 in Fordyce?
Thanks folks
DAVIDSON - Boyndie, Ordiquhill, Fordyce, Gamrie, Botriphnie
BOOTH - Gamrie, Fyvie
GERRIE (GERRY) - Fyvie
SMOLLET (SMOLLETT, SMOUT, SMOWT) - Boyndie
MORISON (MUIRSON/MEARSON) - Ordiquhill
ROY - Mortlach
HEARSON - Lincolnshire & Sussex

Offline GR2

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Fordyce Family from Fordyce early 1800's and Davidson's from Boyndie
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 26 July 23 16:26 BST (UK) »
If the minutes say she is "with child", then it would not have been born yet. It may have died at birth or the record of its baptism may not have survived. It might have been a girl.

Have you tracked down George Davidson's death certificate to see who are given as parents?

Online lynellen

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 26 July 23 16:39 BST (UK) »
Thanks for your reply GR2

His death cert gives John Davidson and Jannet Smollet as his parents.

All John and Janet's children were born in and around Boyndie between 1791 and 1811, all recorded, accept for George. There were 10 in total including George.

According to census records and one of George's children's birth certificates George was born around 1817, so 6 years after the last child and 26 after the 1st one

In 1817 his Mother, Janet would have been 51 and his Father John 46. I guess not impossible but maybe unlikely????
BOOTH - Gamrie, Fyvie
GERRIE (GERRY) - Fyvie
ROY - Mortlach

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 26 July 23 18:25 BST (UK) »
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Online lynellen

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 26 July 23 18:35 BST (UK) »
Hi Forfarian

Thanks for getting involved in this new posting. I've put my question under a new heading in the hope that someone may come up with something I haven't seen.

Alexander Davidson didn't marry until 1850 when he was 54. He married Elspet Milne in Tullynessle.
What I'm trying to find out is did the illigitimate child that Elizabeth Fordyce was carrying in September 1816 live and was the father Alexander Davidson the one that was born in Boyndie in 1796

I realise I may never solve the mystery, but thought that someone on here may have researched the Fordyce family and come up with some answers. They still might not helpin the birth of George Davidson 1817 but thought it worth asking.
BOOTH - Gamrie, Fyvie
GERRIE (GERRY) - Fyvie
ROY - Mortlach

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 26 July 23 20:54 BST (UK) »
I've put my question under a new heading in the hope that someone may come up with something I haven't seen.
If you are posting a follow-up, it's advisable either to continue the existing thread, or to include a link to any and all previous related threads.

This is to make sure that anyone who sees the new thread knows what has previously been found, and doesn't duplicate time and effort already expended.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Online lynellen

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 26 July 23 21:40 BST (UK) »
Sorry Forfarian, I didn't mean to cause confusion or any extra work for anyone. I'll keep it all in a single thread in future or, as you suggest, give a link to previous threads (if I can work out how to do that).
Should I close this thread and go back to the original one?

BOOTH - Gamrie, Fyvie
GERRIE (GERRY) - Fyvie
ROY - Mortlach