Author Topic: Ancestry Maiden surnames.. anyone else ?  (Read 543 times)

Offline larkspur

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Tracing myself back to better people.Or maybe not!
    • View Profile
Ancestry Maiden surnames.. anyone else ?
« on: Wednesday 26 July 23 16:06 BST (UK) »
Is anyone else having this problem? I have been entering some details on a branch of my tree, mainly the female's. But when I go back to the lady in question her maiden name has gone and she is now there with her husbands surname. I don't want her under her husbands surname, she deserves to have her own!!  :-[  What am I doing wrong please, I have never had this problem before.
AREA, Nottinghamshire. Lincolnshire. Staffordshire. Leicestershire, Morayshire.
Paternal Line--An(t)(c)liff(e).Faulkner. Mayfield. Cant. Davison. Caunt. Trigg. Rawding. Buttery. Rayworth. Pepper. Otter. Whitworth. Gray. Calder. Laing.Wink. Wright. Jackson. Taylor.
Maternal Line--Linsey. Spicer. Corns. Judson. Greensmith. Steel. Woodford. Ellis. Wyan. Callis. Warriner. Rawlin. Merrin. Vale. Summerfield. Cartwright.
Husbands-Beckett. Heald. Pilkington. Arnold. Hall. Willows. Dring. Newcomb. Hawley

Online dowdstree

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Mary Malcolm - 1860 to 1945 - My Great Granny
    • View Profile
Re: Ancestry Maiden surnames.. anyone else ?
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 26 July 23 22:00 BST (UK) »
No idea what is wrong, sorry.

I added a couple this afternoon to my tree and the ladies have stayed under their maiden names.

Hope your problem sorts itself out or maybe give Ancestry a phone.

Dorrie
Small, County Antrim & Dundee
Dickson, County Down & Dundee
Madden, County Westmeath
Patrick, Fife
Easson, Fife
Leslie, Fife
Paterson, Fife

Offline mckha489

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 26 July 23 22:04 BST (UK) »
It might be happening if you first enter them with their maiden name, but then subsequently add a census.  You have to watch which boxes you tick over on the right hand side window because if you tick the one with the now married surname in it then that will over-ride the surname.

Offline larkspur

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 05 August 23 11:14 BST (UK) »
Many thanks for the replies. Thank you  mckha489 I will have to keep an eye on that one.
Paternal Line--An(t)(c)liff(e).Faulkner. Mayfield. Cant. Davison. Caunt. Trigg. Rawding. Buttery. Rayworth. Pepper. Otter. Whitworth. Gray. Calder. Laing.Wink. Wright. Jackson. Taylor.
Maternal Line--Linsey. Spicer. Corns. Judson. Greensmith. Steel. Woodford. Ellis. Wyan. Callis. Warriner. Rawlin. Merrin. Vale. Summerfield. Cartwright.
Husbands-Beckett. Heald. Pilkington. Arnold. Hall. Willows. Dring. Newcomb. Hawley

Offline andrewalston

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My granddad
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 05 August 23 14:52 BST (UK) »
Virtually no American software has any concept of a name change, despite it being an extremely common concept in genealogy.

Ancestry will allow you to add a name to a person, and then you can tick the little box to make it "preferred".

However there is no possibility of explaining what sort of name that is, or putting a date against it.

The software I use has record types for six different types of name such as Married or Nickname, and allows all of them to have associated dates. This I can record exactly what a person's name was when written down in a document.
Looking at ALSTON in south Ribble area, ALSTEAD and DONBAVAND/DUNBABIN etc. everywhere, HOWCROFT and MARSH in Bolton and Westhoughton, PICKERING in the Whitehaven area.

Census information is Crown Copyright. See www.nationalarchives.gov.uk for details.

Offline larkspur

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 07 August 23 13:16 BST (UK) »
Thankyou Andrew. I see we now have a new format when entering information too. Just get used to one way of working to discover it has been changed yet again!