Author Topic: Marriage in Barony, Lanarkshire, Scotland  (Read 272 times)

Offline BobThompson

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Marriage in Barony, Lanarkshire, Scotland
« on: Wednesday 26 July 23 22:48 BST (UK) »
I've perused some of the previous  posts regarding Barony and realize it is an area of estimable size.  I am looking for information on the marriage of John McCaughan and Bridget Grant that took place in Barony on 26 Jun 1846, according to information I have tracked down.  FWIW, this was probably a Roman Catholic union as that is the faith they practiced after making their way to Frostburg, Maryland, USA in the 1851 to 1854 time frame.

John was originally from County Antrim, Ireland and I believe Bridget might have been as well.  I can only find references to Ireland for her, so that is not certain.  If no one is able to find their record, I would appreciate any clues or prodding as to where I might be able to search in this quest.

John and Bridget represent a couple of my 2x great grandparents on my father's side.  I would love to learn more of their story.

Thanks, Bob Thompson

Offline Kiltaglassan

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Seven Sisters mountain range in Co Donegal
    • View Profile
Re: Marriage in Barony, Lanarkshire, Scotland
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 27 July 23 20:14 BST (UK) »

Welcome to RootsChat  :)

You have posted in SCOTLAND RESOURCES which is for resources not queries.

I have asked a moderator to move your request to the Lanarkshire board where you might find an answer.

Researching: Cuthbertson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Australia; Hunter – Co. Derry; Jackson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Canada; Scott – Co. Derry; Neilly – Co. Antrim & USA; McCurdy – Co. Antrim; Nixon – Co. Cavan, Co. Donegal, Canada & USA; Ryan & Noble – Co. Sligo

Offline loobylooayr

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 27 July 23 21:46 BST (UK) »
Hi,

The original record of this marriage can be viewed on Scotland's People. www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

The marriage is actually registered in the old parish records of the Church of Scotland in Barony parish, not the Roman Catholic records.

Credits need to be purchased in order to access this  - but be aware , these records can often just have the bride and groom's name and not much else.

Looby :)

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 27 July 23 21:59 BST (UK) »
What is it that you are hoping to find?

If they married in 1846 and emigrated after the 1851 census, which was taken on 30 March 1851, they should be in that census.

A quick search on FreeCEN https://freecen1.freecen.org.uk/cgi/search.pl finds 11 Bridget McCauchans or variants in Lanarkshire, all of whom were born in Ireland.

Note: this is the original version of FreeCEN. Running the same search on the later and allegedly improved version https://www.freecen.org.uk/ finds only one of them.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline Neale1961

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 27 July 23 22:57 BST (UK) »
There are Catholic baptism records available on Scotlands People for 2 sons. These records may give you more information about the family, such as sponsor's names.

MCKENCHAN   JOHN   
parents - JOHN MCKENCHAN / BRIDGIT GRANT   
MALE   born 16/6/1847     baptised 20/6/1847   
AIRDRIE, ST MARGARET'S

MCLAUGHAN   JAMES   
parents - JOHN MCLAUGHAN / BRIDGET GRANT   
MALE   born 30/10/1848   baptised 1/11/1848   
AIRDRIE, ST MARGARET'S

Milligan - Jardine – Glencross – Dinwoodie - Brown: (Dumfriesshire & Kirkcudbrightshire)
Clark – Faulds – Cuthbertson – Bryson – Wilson: (Ayrshire & Renfrewshire)
Neale – Cater – Kinder - Harrison: (Warwickshire & Queensland)
Roberts - Spry: (Cornwall, Middlesex & Queensland)
Munster: (Schleswig-Holstein & Queensland) and Plate: (Braunschweig, Neubruck & Queensland & New York)

Offline Neale1961

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 27 July 23 23:52 BST (UK) »
It looks as if John McCaughan had left Scotland in about 1849- 50, and the family followed later.

July 1851 onboard “Huron of Boston” arriving New York from Glasgow
Bridget Grant, 26 Irish, female going to husband, with family
John McKechnie 4 male born Scotland
James McKechnie 2 male born Scotland
Mary McKechnie 8 months female born Scotland

1851 census 114 King Street, Calton
https://www.freecen.org.uk/search_records/5a150a23f4040b9d6e14ce77/bridget-mckechen-1851-lanarkshire-barony-1825-?locale=en

This is quite possibly Bridget’s mother and sisters living at the same address.
Milligan - Jardine – Glencross – Dinwoodie - Brown: (Dumfriesshire & Kirkcudbrightshire)
Munster: (Schleswig-Holstein & Queensland) and Plate: (Braunschweig, Neubruck & Queensland & New York)

Offline Neale1961

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 28 July 23 05:11 BST (UK) »

Offline BobThompson

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 28 July 23 20:09 BST (UK) »
Thanks to all for great responses, especially Neale1961 for some in depth and accurate sleuthing.  I just wish a church record would surface for John and Bridget's marriage, as I would love to have information on John's parents, although I'm reasonably sure his father was Archibald. Now I have to purchase some tokens and dive back into the McCaughan rabbit hole for images at Scotlands People.