Author Topic: New Ancestry tree not showing 1st wife  (Read 244 times)

Offline Lisa in California

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
New Ancestry tree not showing 1st wife
« on: Thursday 27 July 23 08:04 BST (UK) »
Hi.  I’ve created a number of trees on Ancestry for family and friends so I know the basics about setting up trees.  For a couple of reasons, I just started a new tree solely for my mum’s mother’s branch. I now have a problem that I’ve not previously run across.

Earlier today, I realized that while I can view mum’s gr-grandfather’s first wife’s (Mary’s) profile and make changes to it, when I try to view the entire tree, Mary does not appear.  William’s and Mary’s children appear in “view tree” with a line to just William.  William’s second wife and their children all appear in view tree.

I tried several ideas to rectify the problem and nothing has worked.  I really don’t want to start over by deleting Mary and her children as I’m only 90-95% certain that they were William’s first family so I have typed numerous notes for all of them, indicating why I believe they were his family.  I’ve also included supporting documents (burial records).

Tonight, while looking at the tree again on view tree, I noticed that there is an identical problem with another family member (who was also married twice).

I’ve never had this problem before.  I don’t know how to correct it, short of deleting the entire tree and starting over.  I hope I’ve clearly explained my situation; I know it’s confusing. Any suggestions would be very much appreciated, please.  Thank you, Lisa.
Ellison: Co. Wicklow/Canada       Fowley: Sligo/Canada       Furnival: Lancashire/Canada       Ibbotson: Sheffield/Canada       Lee/DeJongh: Lancashire & Cheshire       Mumford: Essex/Canada       Ovens: Ireland/Canada       Sarge: Yorkshire/Canada             Stuart: Sligo/Canada       Sullivan: Co. Clare/Canada      Vaus: Sussex/Surrey      Wakefield: Tuam or Ballinasloe, Ireland              (Surname: Originated/Place Last Lived)  (Canadians lived in Ontario)

Offline mckha489

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: New Ancestry tree not showing 1st wife
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 27 July 23 08:19 BST (UK) »
Do you mean the tree view with the boxes and lines?

If so, I think it depends who you have set as your home person as to how it shows.
So if your home person is not descended from wife 1 then wife 1 won’t show in the layout.

Over on the left in that vague looking menu are three dots. If you select that, then tree viewing options, there is an option to “show all spouses” I think it defaults to OFF. Turn it On

Edited to add “tree viewing options”

Offline Lisa in California

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 27 July 23 09:15 BST (UK) »
Do you mean the tree view with the boxes and lines?

Yes.  That’s correct.

If so, I think it depends who you have set as your home person as to how it shows.
So if your home person is not descended from wife 1 then wife 1 won’t show in the layout.

The home person is not descended from wife 1.  I’ve never had this problem before because in all of the previous trees, the home person’s parents were only married once.  I still cannot see the home person’s father’s first spouse, but I could have made a mistake somewhere.

Over on the left in that vague looking menu are three dots. If you select that, then tree viewing options, there is an option to “show all spouses” I think it defaults to OFF. Turn it On

Brilliant.  It worked for Mary.  Now I just need to see if I created an error with the other 1st wife.

Edited to add “tree viewing options”

Thank you SO much!  I think I spent two hours trying different approaches.  I should have known better and asked here earlier today.  You’re a lifesaver; thank you.  :)  Lisa
Ellison: Co. Wicklow/Canada       Fowley: Sligo/Canada       Furnival: Lancashire/Canada       Ibbotson: Sheffield/Canada       Lee/DeJongh: Lancashire & Cheshire       Mumford: Essex/Canada       Ovens: Ireland/Canada       Sarge: Yorkshire/Canada             Stuart: Sligo/Canada       Sullivan: Co. Clare/Canada      Vaus: Sussex/Surrey      Wakefield: Tuam or Ballinasloe, Ireland              (Surname: Originated/Place Last Lived)  (Canadians lived in Ontario)

Offline mckha489

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 27 July 23 09:21 BST (UK) »
You are welcome. I am glad it worked!