Author Topic: Roots Magic to Family Historian  (Read 525 times)

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Roots Magic to Family Historian
« Reply #9 on: Friday 28 July 23 12:40 BST (UK) »

https://www.toptenreviews.com/best-family-tree-maker

Family Historian has been rated the best for as long as I can remember - and I got my first version in 2006.
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline Deirdre784

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 28 July 23 12:49 BST (UK) »
I did trial versions on all the available software before deciding on FH about 7 years ago now. While I don’t use anything like all the facilities it offers, and generally use ancestry (with help from FindMyPast) to get the data first, i like the way i can compile books with reports, free text, photos, trees etc.

But everyone has their own ideas and preferences 😀
CARDIFF:Lord,Griffiths,Barry,Cope,Mahoney ~ PEMBROKESHIRE:Griffiths,Rees,Owen,Thomas ~ ESSEX:Lord,Foreman,Hatch ~ SOMERSET:Lord,Cox,Hockey,Linham,Bryant ~ STAFFORDSHIRE:Cope,Elks,Hackney,Gallimore,Davenport ~ SUFFOLK:Lord,Lockwood,Hatch,Rix,Foreman ~ IRELAND:Barry,Meany,Cummins,Grogan ~
PONTYPRIDD:Leigh,Brooks,Adams,Davies,Thomas ~ KENT:Leigh ~ CHESHIRE:Adams,Tudor,Illidge ~ DENBIGHSHIRE:Edwards,Bolas ~BRECON:Leigh,Thomas,Davies ~SOMERSET:Adams,Keitch,Bridge ~ABERGAVENNY:Minton ~ MERTHYR:.....

Offline rosijayne

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 28 July 23 13:25 BST (UK) »
I have to say I like the reports you can make with FH, including the all relatives wall chart. It all seems really clear to navigate, with a good focus window display.
Gill
Fill/Field-Kent       
Hayward/wilts
Wood/Kent
Shoesmith/Kent
Andrews/Kent
Austin/Kent
Heritage/Kent
Lawrence/Lincolnshire and Hertfordshire
Beaumont/Lincolnshire and Hertfordshire
Reeves/Kent
Rooker/Birmingham

Online RJ_Paton

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Cuimhnichibh air na daoine bho'n d'thainig sibh
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 28 July 23 15:08 BST (UK) »
Thank you, that's worth knowing!

I have managed to import a Gedcom from Roots Magic, but your way sounds much easier.
Is it straightforward to do?
Gill

I haven't tried it (long term FH User) but according to the Help File it is one of the Options presented when importing into a new project
If the imported data contains facts (events or attributes) that are of a custom fact type, or any type that Family Historian does not already recognise, a new fact definition will be created for it, in a fact set called "RootsMagic Import".  This fact set can be project-level or system-level.  If a fact set is project-level, that means that the fact set can only be seen, and is only available for use, within that project.  If a fact set is system-level, that means that the fact set can be used with any project.

The project-level option has the advantage that if you choose this option, the import will not affect any other projects.  For that reason, this is a good option to choose unless you are planning to make repeated imports.  After you have imported a data file, you may want to make changes to the fact definitions.  For example, you might need to rework a sentence template that uses a RootsMagic expression which is not available in Family Historian.  If you make these changes at the system-level, you will only need do this once.  Thereafter, if you repeat the import or import another RootsMagic database file, you won't need to repeat your changes.  If you choose the system-level option, fact definitions will not be added (or updated) at the system-level, if they already exist in the system-level "RootsMagic Import" fact set. If you chose the project-level option, however, you would need to repeat your changes.

Another consideration though is that if you choose to import to a project-level fact set, after the import you will be easily able to see exactly which file definitions have been created, because they will be the file definitions in the project-level "RootsMagic Import" fact set.

This is not a critical decision because you can switch a fact set from project-level to system-level or vice versa, at any time.

Offline rosijayne

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 28 July 23 15:56 BST (UK) »
Thank you.
Gill
Fill/Field-Kent       
Hayward/wilts
Wood/Kent
Shoesmith/Kent