Author Topic: Burials for 1881 Wynford Eagle or Toller Fratrum  (Read 353 times)

Offline Reg Scribe

• RootsChat Extra
  • Naval General Service Medal & Trafalgar Clasp
    • View Profile
Burials for 1881 Wynford Eagle or Toller Fratrum
« on: Thursday 27 July 23 21:23 BST (UK) »
I am searching for the burial place of Angelina Francis who died at Wynford Eagle 21st August 1881.
I can find no trace of burial registers for either parish after 1880 in the Dorset Heritage Centre catalogue or online. Does anyone know if the burials registers or bishops transcripts of burials
for either parish survive.

Offline Little Nell

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Burials for 1881 Wynford Eagle or Toller Fratrum
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 27 July 23 21:44 BST (UK) »
All census information: Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Reg Scribe

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 27 July 23 22:56 BST (UK) »
Thanks Little Nell. No headstone photo though (very unlikely as she was the wife of an Ag Lab).
Contributor not taking messages on findagrave so no help there. Seems to me that they knew she was in Wynford Eagle on the 1881 census & assumed that she is buried there, could be right though? I'm still holding out for proof positive.

Offline Little Nell

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 30 July 23 11:28 BST (UK) »
Dorset History Centre catalogue does not list the burial registers after 1812.  Perhaps they are still with the church?

Nell
All census information: Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Reg Scribe

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 30 July 23 12:52 BST (UK) »
Thanks Little Nell. I have since contacted the Dorset Heritage Centre in the vain hope that they might have the Bishops Transcripts for 1881 but they have them only to 1846, so no help there.
The archivist I spoke to made the same suggestion as you, but as I understand it Wynford Eagle was a Chapelry of Toller Fratrum & both are now closed churches,
I have not yet found any Church ministry or redundant church organisation that has responsibility for the two churches so am at a loss where to look next. So any suggestions would be heartily welcome.
However on the Dorset OPC for these parishes both have lists of monumental inscriptions with dates of death up to the 1950s. Therefore the conclusion must be that there was a burial register post 1880 but where that register is now remains unsolved at present.
As I live in South Devon a visit to Dorset is impractical until I have a lead.

http://www.opcdorset.org/WynfordEagleFiles/WynfordEagleMIs.htm

http://www.opcdorset.org/TollerFratrum/TollerFratrumMIs.htm

Offline ciderdrinker

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 19 August 23 11:57 BST (UK) »
Hi
If you look at the opc for Wynford Eagle burials it does say their burials are held under Toller Fratrum.
And for all others you should look under Toller Fratrum.
You never know they might be right

Ciderdrinker

Offline Reg Scribe

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 19 August 23 16:53 BST (UK) »
Hi Ciderdrinker, thanks for your post.
I have now managed to locate the post 1880 burial register for Toller Fratrum & Wynford Eagle.

It is in the possession of the organisation that cares for the now closed St Basil's at Toller Fratrum.
I haven't seen the register but they did a look up for me & unfortunately Angelina was not recorded
as buried there. Since then I've checked on Dorset OPC & Ancestry every available parish within a 5 mile radius of Wynford Eagle & still not found her.

Current thought is that she was buried at Wynford Eagle but that the burial was not entered in the register of the two parishes, or less likely, that she was buried in a non conformist burial ground of which I haven't found any nearby.

Offline Enumerated

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 02 March 24 20:41 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Little Nell. No headstone photo though (very unlikely as she was the wife of an Ag Lab).
Contributor not taking messages on findagrave so no help there. Seems to me that they knew she was in Wynford Eagle on the 1881 census & assumed that she is buried there, could be right though? I'm still holding out for proof positive.

The memorial manager can be contacted by clicking on Suggest Edits, scroll down and then click on Contact Manager and write your message. This is the proper way to contact the manager about a memorial.

Offline Reg Scribe

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 03 March 24 12:47 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Enumerated. I will follow up this suggestion.