Author Topic: Findmypast discounts?  (Read 446 times)

Offline Caw1

• RootsChat Senior
  • Joyce Irene Harriss 1920 - 2011
    • View Profile
Findmypast discounts?
« on: Friday 28 July 23 01:42 BST (UK) »
Hello
I was just wondering if anyone knows of any discounts for Findmypast?

I didn’t renew from my previous subs as have been having a break so didn’t want the added expense ontop of an Ancestry one I have … kept if as have DNA test with them.
Now back to researching again and find I could do with FindMyPast for 1921 census… can’t believe the cost at just short of £200, so if anyone has any info it woukd be gratefully received.

Many thanks in advance

Caroline
Guy - UK,USA
Bangerter -UK,Australia,Switzerland
Harriss - UK, Australia
Merrall - UK
Swinnock - UK
Lloyd - UK

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Findmypast discounts?
« Reply #1 on: Friday 28 July 23 09:28 BST (UK) »
I remember with fondness their special offers - $1 or £1 for a month. It’s been a long time since that kind of tempter at FindMyPast.

I regularly read about good deals for Ancestry subscriptions, but have never noticed any similar deals or discounts for FindMyPast.

I’ll be interested in the answer to your question Caroline.  :)

Offline scotmum

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • A tree full of life, a life full of branches!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 28 July 23 09:37 BST (UK) »
For anyone with a student in the house or who is a mature student themself, and has a  .ac.uk email address, offers such as 20% off FindMyPast membership subscriptions sometimes appear on the likes of Student Beans (need to regieter with them first):

https://www.studentbeans.com/student-discount/uk/findmypast
"Trees without roots fall over!"

""People who never look backward to their ancestors will never look forward to posterity." - Edmund Burke

Don't just wait for the storm to pass, learn to dance in the rain.

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Be curious and however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at.”  Stephen Hawking

In a world where you can be anything, be kind .

Offline Romilly

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 28 July 23 09:39 BST (UK) »
I’ve noticed recently that many Records, which were previously free to view on Family Search, are now only accessible on Find My Past.

I too used to buy Credits when it was 1937 and me. Sadly no longer an option.

Romilly.
Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Researching:
Wilson, Warren, Dulston, Hooper, Duffin, Petty, Rees, Davies, Williams, Newman, Dyer, Hamilton, Edmeads, Pattenden.

Offline Biggles50

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 28 July 23 12:08 BST (UK) »
I tried asking a miserly 10% off was offered, I declined.

OK they have the 1921 census.

No DNA

£199.99 is way too much to spend for minimal additional content.

My Heritage was also as stingy with minimal discounts.

Offline Jomot

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 28 July 23 14:15 BST (UK) »
I already get the 15% loyalty discount but for the last 2-years I've asked if they can improve on that, and both times they have - not by much, but every little counts!. 

They wouldn't give me any extra discount on the Premium package though, so I took out the Pro subscription instead and then bought the 1921 as an add-on - and they automatically applied the same additional discount!  Go figure  ???

MORGAN: Glamorgan, Durham, Ohio. DAVIS/DAVIES/DAVID: Glamorgan, Ohio.  GIBSON: Leicestershire, Durham, North Yorkshire.  RAIN/RAINE: Cumberland.  TAYLOR: North Yorks. BOURDAS: North Yorks. JEFFREYS: Worcestershire & Northumberland. FORBES: Berwickshire, CHEESMOND: Durham/Northumberland. WINTER: Durham/Northumberland. SNOWBALL: Durham.

Offline Caw1

• RootsChat Senior
  • Joyce Irene Harriss 1920 - 2011
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 28 July 23 14:24 BST (UK) »
I already get the 15% loyalty discount but for the last 2-years I've asked if they can improve on that, and both times they have - not by much, but every little counts!. 

They wouldn't give me any extra discount on the Premium package though, so I took out the Pro subscription instead and then bought the 1921 as an add-on - and they automatically applied the same additional discount!  Go figure  ???

I too used to get the 15% discount but didn’t renew this year..perhaps a mistake. I had the Pro sub and then just paid extra for 1921 addition.

Thankyou to all who’ve voiced their opinions and experiences. It would seem they’re not quite as accommodating as Ancestry so I might have to give them a call and see what they can do. I have had a sub with them for many years!

Caroline
Guy - UK,USA
Bangerter -UK,Australia,Switzerland
Harriss - UK, Australia
Merrall - UK
Swinnock - UK
Lloyd - UK

Offline PaulineJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 28 July 23 15:04 BST (UK) »
I've taken the sub which includes 1921, and I think it's better value (not cost, value) than ancestry.  It got to the stage on ancestry where every other hint was in a non- included dataset (eg fold3, newspapers).
All census look up transcriptions are Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/
======================================
We are not a search engine. We are human beings.