Author Topic: Guisborough Parish - Farm names / interpretations (pre-1839)  (Read 148 times)

Offline OYFN

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Guisborough Parish - Farm names / interpretations (pre-1839)
« on: Friday 28 July 23 20:13 BST (UK) »
Hi there,

My Potter ancestors are from the Guisborough area in UK.

I have a will of a Ralph Potter (16XX-1733) which states he is of "Skiri+kholm" in the parish of Guisborough. (I'm unsure which letter the +is - but that's what it looks like).   Any guesses?

Also:

A Ralph Potter (1685(?)-1747) of yeoman of Kettle Hills in the parish of Guisborough.    This farm was willed to his nephew William who purchased it for him/on his behalf.

Several years later, a William Potter of Kettle Hills - in 1807 moved into a property on the corner of Belmangate/Bow. He appears there on the 1839 Tithe, and 1841 Census.   I suspect the Kettle Hills farm was sold/developed.   This particular William Potter is a direct relative to me.

I do know that my family has a history with Codhill Farm / Highcliffe Farm near Hutton Lowcross. I know they were there at least between 1803-1812.   

So, would anyone have any local knowledge about either Kettle Hills farm or were Skiri+kholm is?   Could be closer to Kirkleatham/Upleatham or Moorsholm.

I would appreciated it a great deal!

~ Nancy