Author Topic: Avast anti-virus  (Read 272 times)

Offline HughC

• RootsChat Veteran
  • et patribus et posteritati
    • View Profile
Avast anti-virus
« on: Saturday 29 July 23 07:14 BST (UK) »
I downloaded a version of Avast that supposedly still works with Windows XP.
The installation seemed to go OK, but no short cut appeared on the desktop screen.
Which of the many executable files in the Avast folder should I be running?
Bagwell of Kilmore & Lisronagh, Co. Tipperary;  Beatty from Enniskillen;  Brown from Preston, Lancs.;  Burke of Ballydugan, Co. Galway;  Casement in the IoM and Co. Antrim;  Davison of Knockboy, Broughshane;  Frobisher;  Guillemard;  Harrison in Co. Antrim and Dublin;  Jones around Burton Pedwardine, Lincs.;  Lindesay of Loughry;  Newcomen of Camlagh, Co. Roscommon;  Shield;  Watson from Kidderminster;  Wilkinson from Leeds

Offline andrewalston

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My granddad
    • View Profile
Re: Avast anti-virus
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 01 August 23 15:09 BST (UK) »
Avast should show in the system tray (bottom right of the screen) following a restart after installation.

I can't remember whether there's a link under the Start menu.

You can also check whether it is running in the Task Manager (Control-Shift-Esc to bring it up). Under the "Processes" tab, there should be a name or two starting "Avast".
Looking at ALSTON in south Ribble area, ALSTEAD and DONBAVAND/DUNBABIN etc. everywhere, HOWCROFT and MARSH in Bolton and Westhoughton, PICKERING in the Whitehaven area.

Census information is Crown Copyright. See www.nationalarchives.gov.uk for details.

Offline HughC

• RootsChat Veteran
  • et patribus et posteritati
    • View Profile
Re: Avast anti-virus
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 01 August 23 15:20 BST (UK) »
Thank you, Andrew.  Yes, it says it's running, so evidently it just lurks in the background,
even though there's nothing to say so in the system tray
(perhaps I forgot to do a restart).
Bagwell of Kilmore & Lisronagh, Co. Tipperary;  Beatty from Enniskillen;  Brown from Preston, Lancs.;  Burke of Ballydugan, Co. Galway;  Casement in the IoM and Co. Antrim;  Davison of Knockboy, Broughshane;  Frobisher;  Guillemard;  Harrison in Co. Antrim and Dublin;  Jones around Burton Pedwardine, Lincs.;  Lindesay of Loughry;  Newcomen of Camlagh, Co. Roscommon;  Shield;  Watson from Kidderminster;  Wilkinson from Leeds