Author Topic: Postcard dating  (Read 747 times)

Offline shanreagh

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Postcard dating
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 02 August 23 09:59 BST (UK) »
My understanding through having a husband in the Royal NZ Navy, is that during times of war the cap tally does not have the name of the ship on it. This is so that if a ship is sunk or a cap is lost that the enemy cannot get information about the ships that may have been in the area.  In NZ they were issued with a cap tally that just had RNZN or even HMS.  He only had to wear the RNZN cap tally once when transiting offshore from Vietnam during the Vietnam War.  He also got a war allowance for being in Vietnamese waters, meticulously calculated from the records as they were doing a bit of zig zagging and they were not eligible when in open waters.

Point being that if the pic was taken in war that there may not be a cap tally with name on it. 

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 05 August 23 14:01 BST (UK) »
I gave it a clean for your you.
Carol
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

RESTORERS:PLEASE DO NOT USE MY RESTORES WITHOUT PRIOR PERMISSION - THANK YOU

Offline emeraldcity

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 05 August 23 19:38 BST (UK) »
Thanks Carol. Nicely done.