Author Topic: completely stumped  (Read 735 times)

Offline jackski

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
completely stumped
« on: Saturday 29 July 23 22:47 BST (UK) »
I'm completely stumped with this problem, and hope that somebody out there can offer an idea of where I might look next.
Am looking for Mary Breeze, born December quarter of 1856 - Shrewsbury. In 1861 she is living with parents Joseph and Eliza (spelt Breese on this census only), and sister Martha. By 1871 both parents are dead and both sisters are in an orphanage in Bristol. Orphans were sent out to any part of the country on leaving the institution so she could have gone anywhere. Martha is quite easily traceable in subsequent censuses, but Mary seems to have vanished off the face of the planet!! She doesn't appear to have died, but the usual methods of finding a woman who has married have all failed. I don't know whether she might have gone abroad or not, or maybe married and then died before the next census. Does anybody have any tips on how I might crack this conundrum? Thanks

Offline Viktoria

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: completely stumped
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 29 July 23 23:20 BST (UK) »
A fairly similar situation and the answer was my rellie was a living in worker at an asylum , so not with her mother (who had been widowed,married again but said she was again a widow ) and brother,not yet married, and not with her step father , who on his Census return said he was unmarried!
I can’t remember how I found that out though ,most likely included in the information in the wonderful help given by RootsChatters .
So don’t give up yet.
My rellie was at least in the same town as her Mum and brother ( Manchester) but they were miles away from their hometown .( Norwell. )

Viktoria.

Offline maddys52

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 30 July 23 03:47 BST (UK) »
Have you ruled out the Mary BREEZE (24, born Hodnet) domestic servant at the house of Robert BENNETT and family at 2 Manley Rd, Withington in 1881?
RG11/3892/63 pg6
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:Q27G-RW14

Offline maddys52

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 30 July 23 04:03 BST (UK) »
Another possibility - there is a Mary BREEZE (36, born Salop) hospital nurse, at Holdenhurst, Hampshire in 1891.  :-\
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:4Q2Y-S6Z

(transcribed as BAEEZE on ancestry)

Offline jackski

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 30 July 23 07:30 BST (UK) »
Thanks. I had seen the Hodnet one, but thought that was on the wrong side of Shrewsbury to where she was baptised. Hadn't seen the other one though, so thanks for that.

Offline LizzieL

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 30 July 23 09:17 BST (UK) »

Am looking for Mary Breeze, born December quarter of 1856 - Shrewsbury. In 1861 she is living with parents Joseph and Eliza (spelt Breese on this census only), and sister Martha. By 1871 both parents are dead and both sisters are in an orphanage in Bristol.

I can find Mary and Martha with mother Eliza and grandmother Martha Drayton in 1861. Eliza says she's married, but  Joseph not with them. Is that the family? If so Mary's place of birth is given as Copthorne near Shrewsbury. There is a baptism on 4th Jan 1857 (birth give as 15 Nov 1856) of a mary Breeze d/o Joseph and Eliza of Copthorne at District Chapelry of Shelton and Oxon - Saint Chad Shrewsbury.
If mary was orphaned quite young she may not have known her exact place of birth, but knew it was Shropshire so the Holdenhurst Mary may be her.
Berks / Oxon: Eltham, Annetts, Wiltshire (surname not county), Hawkins, Pembroke, Partridge
Dorset / Hants: Derham, Stride, Purkiss, Sibley
Yorkshire: Pottage, Carr, Blackburn, Depledge
Sussex: Goodyer, Christopher, Trevatt
Lanark: Scott (soldier went to Jersey CI)
Jersey: Fowler, Huelin, Scott

Offline LizzieL

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 30 July 23 09:23 BST (UK) »
Possible for 1881
Nurse with Corrie family in Kensington London

Piece number 30, Folio 88, Page 8

Although it says birth county Staffordshire not Shropshire, it does say birth town was Oxon
Berks / Oxon: Eltham, Annetts, Wiltshire (surname not county), Hawkins, Pembroke, Partridge
Dorset / Hants: Derham, Stride, Purkiss, Sibley
Yorkshire: Pottage, Carr, Blackburn, Depledge
Sussex: Goodyer, Christopher, Trevatt
Lanark: Scott (soldier went to Jersey CI)
Jersey: Fowler, Huelin, Scott

Offline jackski

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 30 July 23 10:30 BST (UK) »
Oooh thanks. Will check this out! I know that people were quite often vague about their ages and other details on censuses, which doesn't help researchers like us at all!!! I hate these mysteries. They bug me till its sorted!

Offline jackski

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 30 July 23 10:32 BST (UK) »
Possible for 1881
Nurse with Corrie family in Kensington London

Piece number 30, Folio 88, Page 8

Although it says birth county Staffordshire not Shropshire, it does say birth town was Oxon

Yes thats the family. Sorry was posting from the family tree I've got sketched in front of me and not the actual census page.