Author Topic: completely stumped  (Read 733 times)

Offline LizzieL

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: completely stumped
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 30 July 23 10:45 BST (UK) »
Another possibility - there is a Mary BREEZE (36, born Salop) hospital nurse, at Holdenhurst, Hampshire in 1891.  :-\
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:4Q2Y-S6Z

(transcribed as BAEEZE on ancestry)

She seems to be down as a boarder - hotel guest?

Big hotel, if I have the right one - pictures here

https://www.flickr.com/photos/alwyn_ladell/albums/72157624672521789/

added
it seems to have been a spa hotel offering treatments for various ailments

see history here
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bournemouth_Town_Hall
Berks / Oxon: Eltham, Annetts, Wiltshire (surname not county), Hawkins, Pembroke, Partridge
Dorset / Hants: Derham, Stride, Purkiss, Sibley
Yorkshire: Pottage, Carr, Blackburn, Depledge
Sussex: Goodyer, Christopher, Trevatt
Lanark: Scott (soldier went to Jersey CI)
Jersey: Fowler, Huelin, Scott

Offline jackski

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 30 July 23 10:58 BST (UK) »
Hmmmmm.... so she could have been ill at that point then? I don't see her anywhere in 1901 or 1911, but the only matching death between 1891 and 1901 is a Mary Breeze who died at Knighton, (mid Wales) at the end of 1891. Her only sibling, Martha, was in Glamorgan in 1891 married to John Robert Frazer.

Offline maddys52

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 30 July 23 11:08 BST (UK) »
Who would have thought there so many Mary BREEZEs.

There is another in the 1891 at "The Grange", Walton, Surrey, aged 31, nurse (domestic servant) born Shrewsbury. In the house of Frederick WIGAN. A little young, but another possibility.
RG12/550/14

Offline jackski

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 30 July 23 11:14 BST (UK) »
Oh heck! It's not getting any clearer - there's too many of them, all born about the same time, same place, same occupation!

Offline LizzieL

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 30 July 23 11:31 BST (UK) »
Who would have thought there so many Mary BREEZEs.

There is another in the 1891 at "The Grange", Walton, Surrey, aged 31, nurse (domestic servant) born Shrewsbury. In the house of Frederick WIGAN. A little young, but another possibility.
RG12/550/14

That's a better match with occupation in 1881 and more definite on birthplace. Oxon / Copthorne have been swallowed up by Shrewsbury.

I was a bit concerned about a hospital nurse being a boarder at what would be a very expensive hotel. One scenario was that she was there in the capacity of a private nurse in the employ of a wealthy hotel guest who was there for a treatment. Looking at adverts for the Mont Dore in newspaper archive, it wasn't a sanatorium but offered treatments such as many spa and hydro hotels would.

if you have access to FindMyPast there's an example here

https://search.findmypast.co.uk/bna/viewarticle?id=BL/0001485/18850929/021&stringtohighlight=mont%20dore%20bournemouth

Berks / Oxon: Eltham, Annetts, Wiltshire (surname not county), Hawkins, Pembroke, Partridge
Dorset / Hants: Derham, Stride, Purkiss, Sibley
Yorkshire: Pottage, Carr, Blackburn, Depledge
Sussex: Goodyer, Christopher, Trevatt
Lanark: Scott (soldier went to Jersey CI)
Jersey: Fowler, Huelin, Scott

Offline jackski

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 30 July 23 12:22 BST (UK) »
So... we've got 2 options for 1881:
first born Hodnet, age 24, servant in Withington, Lancashire
second birth town of Oxon, - wrong county - age 24, nurse for Corrie family in Kensington

And 2 options for 1891
first born Salop (transcribed Baeese) age 36 (bit old) hospital nurse at Holdenhurst in Hampshire at a spa hospital
second born Shrewsbury age 31 (bit young) nurse in the household of the Wigan family, in Walton, Surrey
And nothing after that.
Hmmmm....

Offline Gibel

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Saturday 02 September 23 08:34 BST (UK) »
Looking at the children’s entry in the census I went back to the front page to find the name of the orphanage. They appear to have been in the Müller Orphanage at Ashley Down Bristol.

The Müller Organisation holds records for all the children who were in their care

https://www.mullers.org/orphanrecords

You can visit or write for information on the children. Their records would show when they were admitted and where they went on leaving the orphanage.

Offline jackski

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Saturday 02 September 23 08:52 BST (UK) »
Thanks, yes I have applied for these but there is an extremely long wait time, of several months, to obtain these. I'm hoping they will eventually supply some sort of lead to set me off in the right direction.

Offline 4b2

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Sunday 10 September 23 13:42 BST (UK) »
Have you taken the ancestry DNA test?

I had a somewhat similar problem in that my gg-grandmother (born 1861) disappeared after the 1881 census. I had a DNA match who I was fairly sure was a half 2nd cousin, but he didn't reply to a message or have a tree. He was just a name. A fairly uncommon name, with three entries in the birth index for the UK. So I decided to quickly put together a tree for all of them. Within five minutes I was looking at my gg-grandmother in the 1911 census, who had eluded 14 years of research. She always listed her age a bit younger after from the 1891 census, so had escaped my searches in the census for her forename, place of birth and year of birth.

I have 2nd cousin matches from each but one set of my gg-grandparents, who were born around the same time as your Mary. It takes a bit of trawling, but you can often unlock a lot - missing ancestors, children born out of wedlock, unknown half-siblings, I'm also related to my best friend via infidelity are some of what I've found, and still working on it.