Author Topic: Registration district for Raphoe  (Read 322 times)

Offline wyanga

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Registration district for Raphoe
« on: Sunday 30 July 23 00:46 BST (UK) »
Could someonr help me with the birth, marriage, and death district for Civil Records for Raphoe in Donegal Please
Wyanga
Ireland: Taylor, Clark, Doyle, Pollock,Boyle
England: Toogood, Long, Ford, Lander, King, Dye,Copeman, Heness, Gardner, Robertson, Cameron, Sherwen, Bell 
Scotland: Campbell, McNaughtan, McKellar

Offline maddys52

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.
    • View Profile
Re: Registration district for Raphoe
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 30 July 23 03:25 BST (UK) »
I'm not certain I understand what information you need. Here is a list of places within the Raphoe registration district:
https://www.johngrenham.com/places/regdist_results.php?rdid=243&order=placename&REGISTRARS_DISTRICT=Raphoe&PLU=Raphoe

You can click on the district to see what records exist, eg
https://www.johngrenham.com/records/gro_regdist.php?rdid=243&REGISTRARS_DISTRICT=Raphoe&search_type=full

Offline wyanga

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 30 July 23 04:28 BST (UK) »
maddys52
                  i was looking for the reg, district shown on Death records for Raphoe and I have found it is Strabane from a known death registration.
thank you for your interest.
Wyanga
England: Toogood, Long, Ford, Lander, King, Dye,Copeman, Heness, Gardner, Robertson, Cameron, Sherwen, Bell 

Offline Kiltaglassan

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Seven Sisters mountain range in Co Donegal
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 30 July 23 07:15 BST (UK) »

Try the Registration District Map Browse section of Shane Wilson's website. Click on (County) Tyrone.
https://www.swilson.info/regdistmap.php

Registration District             County                           Dispensary Districts

Strabane                           Tyrone, Donegal                  Castlefinn, Raphoe, Dunnamanagh,Newtown Stewart, Strabane

Researching: Cuthbertson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Australia; Hunter – Co. Derry; Jackson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Canada; Scott – Co. Derry; Neilly – Co. Antrim & USA; McCurdy – Co. Antrim; Nixon – Co. Cavan, Co. Donegal, Canada & USA; Ryan & Noble – Co. Sligo

Offline wyanga

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 30 July 23 08:42 BST (UK) »
Kiltasgassan
    what i have is a Sally Wilson married Thomas Cather 5th March 1838 Presbyterian Church Raphoe
he was the blacksmith in Raphoe.
i and several other family members have  dna matches with the descendants of Sarah (Sally) Wilson.
 I am sure that this Sarah Sally Wilson is the sister of my Gt Gt Grandmother Mary/Ann Wilson b abt 1807 in Antrim, with parents James Wilson and Mary Stewart, according to 1851 Census Scotland, and death records from Glasgow in Scotland Our contact from the Cather family in US has a death for a Mary Wilson at Raphoe about 1880.
 i am trying to confirm if this did occur, and if Mary Wilson nee Stewart did die in Raphoe.
 i believe that this Wilson family is named in Rev Park's 1817 census of the 1st Ballymoney
Presbyterian  Church in Ballymoney where he has the family from Seacom Ballymoney .
   It is a jig saw of different links and very difficult to put it all together,
Wyanga

Online aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 30 July 23 08:59 BST (UK) »
Civil registration of non-Catholic marriages didn't start until 1845 (Catholic ones from 1864) so Irish Genealogy will not have an 1838 marriage.
Registration of births & deaths also started in 1864.
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/civil-search.jsp

wrong information deleted to avoid confusion

Raphoe is quite a considerable distance from North Antrim.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline Kiltaglassan

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Seven Sisters mountain range in Co Donegal
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 30 July 23 09:35 BST (UK) »

...Our contact from the Cather family in US has a death for a Mary Wilson at Raphoe about 1880.

Might this be the death:

Mary Wilson on 5 May 1881 at Kinicaly [sic], Taughboyne aged 90 yrs. Raphoe Registrar's District.
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/deaths_returns/deaths_1881/06440/4850468.pdf
https://www.townlands.ie/donegal/raphoe-north/taughboyne/st-johnstown/kinnacally/

Researching: Cuthbertson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Australia; Hunter – Co. Derry; Jackson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Canada; Scott – Co. Derry; Neilly – Co. Antrim & USA; McCurdy – Co. Antrim; Nixon – Co. Cavan, Co. Donegal, Canada & USA; Ryan & Noble – Co. Sligo

Offline wyanga

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 30 July 23 12:14 BST (UK) »
Kiltaglasson,
                   I am sure that the Mary Wilson aged 80 widow is the one that is included in their tree information. there is no name of the former husband and the informant name does not ring any bell for me.
 I think it has been used in error because of the Raphoe distrct link. I include my reply to Aghadowey here re the marriage in 1838.
   I have a copy of a letter from The Presbyterian Historical Society of Belfast in 1992
Quote:
 " I did find in the Raphoe records the marriage of a Thomas Cather to a Sally Wilson daughter of James and Mary Wilson of Raphoe on 5th March 1838"
   My present research is centered on a James Wilson wife Mary with children Mary Sarah and James of Seacon  contained in the 1st Presbyterian Church Ballymoney  Rev Park 1817 census,
   Yes I have no idea what the Sarah was doing in Raphoe but the dna match proves she is a relative.
   The james Wilson is included in the 1803 Agricultural census at Seacon Ballymoney.
 He is not in the 1825 Tithe records for Seacon Ballymoney, but there is a James
Wilson at Carrowreagh Antrim in the 1824 Tithe record, but there is no James Wilson at Carrowreagh in 1803 records.
    The daughter Mary/Ann  married Samuel Taylor of Aird in abt 1829 and their 8 children were baptised at Bushmills Presbyterian. Carrowreagh was very close in walking distance of Aird, and would have enabled my gt gt Grandparemts to meet.
   My only suggestion to the above reference of James wilson and Mary Wilson being of Raphoe 'is that they were visiting Raphoe from Carrowreagh for their daughters wedding and perhaps the Church minister or Clerk thought they lived there.
   I did say it was a jigsaw with many pieces .
Wyanga

Offline wyanga

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 07 August 23 07:39 BST (UK) »
" I did find in the Raphoe records the marriage of a Thomas Cather to a Sally Wilson daughter of James and Mary Wilson of Raphoe on 5th March 1838"

Could anyone tell me if there is a headstone for a James Wilson with wife Mary in the 1st Presbyterian Church Buriel ground in Raphoe, most likely after 1838 ?
Any information and an inscription would help and be much appreciated
Wyanga