Author Topic: “D” PLAT 17Coy (T) RASC B.O.A.R History  (Read 372 times)

Offline Shazbaz

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
“D” PLAT 17Coy (T) RASC B.O.A.R History
« on: Sunday 30 July 23 08:43 BST (UK) »
Hello
I’m trying to research my grandads service history, I know that he served as a Driver in the RASC around 1947-1948 in “D” PLAT 17Coy (T) RASC B.O.A.R his name was George Mead DOB 22/07/1925 and his service number was 19093167
If anyone can help me with any information about him or what his platoon did etc I would be so grateful.
My grandad lived in Moldgreen in Huddersfield West Yorkshire all his life but I think he might have been born in Doncaster.
I have tried researching my nana and grandads family history through the paid family tree sites but I’m not great with technology!
Please let me know if you need any more details and if I have them I would be happy to tell you what I know.
Thank you so much in advance for any help 😊

Online KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: “D” PLAT 17Coy (T) RASC B.O.A.R History
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 30 July 23 08:57 BST (UK) »
Most service records, for people serving after 1920, are still with the MOD.
Apply here:
https://www.gov.uk/get-copy-military-service-records

And a guide here:
https://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/help-with-your-research/research-guides/second-world-war/
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline Andy J2022

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 30 July 23 10:11 BST (UK) »
The Royal Army Service Corps (RASC) was a corps of the British Army responsible for land, coastal and lake transport, air despatch, barracks administration, the Army Fire Service, staffing headquarters' units, supply of food, water, fuel and domestic materials such as clothing, furniture and stationery and the supply of technical and military equipment. The T in the title of 17 Company indicates that it was a general Transport Company. During WW2 a standard transport company consisted of a workshop platoon, two or more transport platoons and a composite platoon. I imagine that 17 Company's post war (ie peacetime) establishment was at a slightly lower strength than its war equivalent. A transport platoon typically had about 30 trucks (still called lorries in those days) and each truck would be the responsibility of its driver, usually a private. Each platoon would be divided into 5 sections each commanded by a corporal. The trucks themselves might be 3 tonners, 6 tonners, or occasionally 10 tonners, or a mixture of all three. and would have been used for collecting stores from the ordnance depots and bringing them forward to the units in the formation (Division or Brigade) the company was supporting.

Having previously served in North Africa, by the end of the war 17 Company was based in Berlin. But by 1947-1948 when your grandad was serving, it was at Wandsbek, a borough of Hamburg. Later in 1949 the company moved to Waynes Keep, near Nicosia in Cyprus and later still to Famagusta on the East coast of the island, so your grandad missed out on a sunshine posting!

The British Army of the Rhine occupied the whole of Northern Germany as shown in green on this map
but 17 Company would only have been responsible for supporting units in a relatively small area around Hamburg. As far as I am aware the area was the responsibility of the 1st Armoured Division, but whether 17 Coy was supporting the Division or one of its brigades is not known. Depending on the type of trucks in your grandad's platoon, he might have been employed ferrying cargos forward from the supply depots based down in the western part of the British Zone, using the larger 6 or 10 tonners or, doing more local trips driving a 3 tonner taking food, general supplies and fuel forward to the units. He would almost certainly have been making regular trips to places like Bremen and Hanover.

Offline Shazbaz

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 30 July 23 10:41 BST (UK) »
Thank you so much for your help, in the letter my grandad writes that he has a 32 seater T.C.V, I know he was a driver but does this info about his vehicle help with what he would have been doing there?
Thank you so much again 😊

Offline Shazbaz

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 30 July 23 11:39 BST (UK) »

Online KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 30 July 23 11:40 BST (UK) »
TCV = Troop Carrying Variant

Probably a Bedford QLT?
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline Shazbaz

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 30 July 23 11:46 BST (UK) »
The Royal Army Service Corps (RASC) was a corps of the British Army responsible for land, coastal and lake transport, air despatch, barracks administration, the Army Fire Service, staffing headquarters' units, supply of food, water, fuel and domestic materials such as clothing, furniture and stationery and the supply of technical and military equipment. The T in the title of 17 Company indicates that it was a general Transport Company. During WW2 a standard transport company consisted of a workshop platoon, two or more transport platoons and a composite platoon. I imagine that 17 Company's post war (ie peacetime) establishment was at a slightly lower strength than its war equivalent. A transport platoon typically had about 30 trucks (still called lorries in those days) and each truck would be the responsibility of its driver, usually a private. Each platoon would be divided into 5 sections each commanded by a corporal. The trucks themselves might be 3 tonners, 6 tonners, or occasionally 10 tonners, or a mixture of all three. and would have been used for collecting stores from the ordnance depots and bringing them forward to the units in the formation (Division or Brigade) the company was supporting.

Having previously served in North Africa, by the end of the war 17 Company was based in Berlin. But by 1947-1948 when your grandad was serving, it was at Wandsbek, a borough of Hamburg. Later in 1949 the company moved to Waynes Keep, near Nicosia in Cyprus and later still to Famagusta on the East coast of the island, so your grandad missed out on a sunshine posting!

The British Army of the Rhine occupied the whole of Northern Germany as shown in green on this map
but 17 Company would only have been responsible for supporting units in a relatively small area around Hamburg. As far as I am aware the area was the responsibility of the 1st Armoured Division, but whether 17 Coy was supporting the Division or one of its brigades is not known. Depending on the type of trucks in your grandad's platoon, he might have been employed ferrying cargos forward from the supply depots based down in the western part of the British Zone, using the larger 6 or 10 tonners or, doing more local trips driving a 3 tonner taking food, general supplies and fuel forward to the units. He would almost certainly have been making regular trips to places like Bremen and Hanover.

Thank you so much, this has lots of great information 😊 I know my grandad was a driver and you mentioned that what he was doing would depend on what he was driving.
In my grandads letter he says he has a 32 seater T.C.V, would this be of any help to you in knowing more about what he would have been doing?

Thank you so much again for your help, I have his service number so I am going to apply for his service records, I wish I could visit the records library in person to try to find out more but I live in Australia now so unfortunately that’s not a possibility.

I just want to say that this site has an amazing amount of information on it and I am sure that it’s thank to the people like yourself who are happy to share so much of your time and knowledge, thank you again for taking the time to share with me 😊

Offline Andy J2022

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 30 July 23 11:47 BST (UK) »
A TCV is/was a troop carrying vehicle. Not necessarily a coach or a bus, it could well have been a truck with temporary wooden benches fitted in the back, such as the Bedford QLT suggested by KGarrad. However most 3 (and later 4) tonners only carried 20 fully equipped troops, so 32 passengers does suggest this was a coach. If his primary vehicle was a truck with seats, he would have been employed taking soldiers from other units on journeys to places like firing ranges and training areas  etc. However if it was  coach the tasks might have included transport to social events and picking up the soldiers' families from their married quarters and taking them to the local NAAFI shop, amenities centres, or cinema. He would probably also have been involved in collecting service children and taking them to and from the local primary schools, and other such mundane things. He might also have done runs to RAF Gutersloh or the nearest main civil airport at Hanover to drop off and collect soldiers going and returning from leave or postings.

Offline Shazbaz

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 30 July 23 11:50 BST (UK) »
Thank you 😊
Im sorry if my replies are going to the wrong place, I’m not sure if I’m replying to each person or replying to the thread, I’m struggling to use the site as I am trying to use it on my mobile phone 😂