Author Topic: Mysterious children  (Read 2395 times)

Offline Eric Hatfield

• RootsChat Senior
  • Sydney, Australia
    • View Profile
Mysterious children
« on: Sunday 30 July 23 14:00 BST (UK) »
I have an interesting problem that I'm wondering if anyone can offer a possible explanation please.

My grandmother was adopted, and this problem concerns the couple who raised her in Melbourne Australia - John James Duncan Clark (1843-1902) and Charlotte Clark nee Bond (1849-1922) who were married in Australia in 1875.

I have a copy of the documentation for John's death in 1902, and it lists 4 children for him, all dead - Margaret, Albert, James and John in that order. The informant for this documentation is Charlotte.

When Charlotte died in 1922, no children are listed (it says "no issue"). The informant is a Police Officer because Charlotte died in a road accident, so I'm not sure how and if he actually knew.

John and Charlotte are buried in the Boroondara Cemetery in Melbourne, and in the same cemetery there are several Clark children with a couple of these names also buried there, but searching indicates they were not John and Charlotte's.

I have searched the Victorian BDM for these four children and have found nothing that shows John and Charlotte had any children. I've checked too if they were John's by a previous marriage, but again found nothing. It is hard to see how 4 children could be born and die without there being any record.

The most obvious explanation is that I haven't searched very well - that spelling errors in the records or something have led to me missing them. But I've tried a lot of different searches, so I'm wondering whether the children were invented, which is a pretty radical thing to wonder because I can't see any motive. But Charlotte had a troubled life, emigrating to Australia unaccompanied at age 16, being charged with "baby farming" (adopting children for profit then not caring for them), barely escaping being charged with murder when an adoped baby died due to her neglect, and ending life with an alcohol problem. So I don't know her state of mind or motivations when John died.

So I'm wondering, has anyone ever heard of someone inventing children on their spouse's death documentation, or is this an entirely silly thing to wonder? Is it simply that I haven't searched very well?

Thanks.

Offline Neale1961

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Mysterious children
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 30 July 23 14:45 BST (UK) »
This memorial notice only mentions wife and one daughter. Perhaps as expected.
https://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/189352825?searchTerm=“John%20james%20duncan%20clark”

Is it possible the 4 children named on the death cert were adopted?
Milligan - Jardine – Glencross – Dinwoodie - Brown: (Dumfriesshire & Kirkcudbrightshire)
Clark – Faulds – Cuthbertson – Bryson – Wilson: (Ayrshire & Renfrewshire)
Neale – Cater – Kinder - Harrison: (Warwickshire & Queensland)
Roberts - Spry: (Cornwall, Middlesex & Queensland)
Munster: (Schleswig-Holstein & Queensland) and Plate: (Braunschweig, Neubruck & Queensland & New York)

Offline Nanna52

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Edwin WB Vincent, my actor, (1881-1940)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 30 July 23 18:08 BST (UK) »
Australian states have there own birth, deaths and marriages records so they could have been born and died in a different state.  You may need to check them all.
James -Victoria, Australia originally from Keynsham, Somerset.
Janes - Keynsham and Bristol area.
Heale/Hale - Keynsham, Somerset
Vincent - Illogan/Redruth, Cornwall.  Moved to Sculcoates, Yorkshire; Grass Valley, California; Timaru, New Zealand and Victoria, Australia.
Williams somewhere in Wales - he kept moving
Ellis - Anglesey

Gedmatch A327531

Offline giblet

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 30 July 23 21:55 BST (UK) »
But Charlotte had a troubled life, emigrating to Australia unaccompanied at age 16, being charged with "baby farming" (adopting children for profit then not caring for them), barely escaping being charged with murder when an adoped baby died due to her neglect, and ending life with an alcohol problem.

If the above baby you were referring to was Henry Dwyer, he died 1903 from Congestion of the brain from having Tuberculosis according to the doctor. Nothing in the inquest to suggest neglect, tho there are a couple of pages that are hard to read. If you havent already seen this file it is available online.

Inquest referring to the death of Henry Dwyer.
https://prov.vic.gov.au/explore-collection/explore-topic/inquests-and-other-coronial-records/inquests-deaths-deposition

The newspaper article was easier to read than the hand writing on the inquest file.
https://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/8673162

There is also an inquest for Charlotte online.
Newspaper article on her death
https://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/165129318

I was only checking those records out as sometimes they have further information on the family and may make a mention of other children.

edited... Still not finding anything on the other kids that died.

Offline giblet

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 31 July 23 00:39 BST (UK) »
When Henry Dwyer died his death index indicates his birth mother as mother.
If these other babies death's were registered under their birth mother's name it might be difficult to track them.

deaths
Registration number10939 / 1893
Family name:DWYER
Given name(s)Hy
Place of event:Melb E, Australia
Mother's name Agnes
Mother's family name at birth  DWYER

Offline Eric Hatfield

• RootsChat Senior
  • Sydney, Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 31 July 23 01:15 BST (UK) »
Thanks for these comments and ideas.

This memorial notice only mentions wife and one daughter. Perhaps as expected.
That birth was for Charlotte and William Clark. I wondered if that could have been them, but there are several births to William and I can't think John got changed to William by mistake several times over. So I don't think that's them.

Is it possible the 4 children named on the death cert were adopted?
It's a good thought. But my grandmother, Olive, who was adopted and was definitely alive in 1902, wasn't mentioned, so I think that is unlikely. And even if so, surely there'd be death documentation for them?

Australian states have there own birth, deaths and marriages records so they could have been born and died in a different state.  You may need to check them all.
I suppose I should for completeness, though I don't think they moved around. And I have checked on FamilySearch and not found them (though there are many plausible possibilities, but none with enough information to prove anything).

Here is one curiosity. FamilySearch lists a Margaret Elizabeth Clark born 1883, buried 1884 in Melbourne, so she could be possible. But I can't find her on Victoria BDM so I can't ascertain parents.

If the above baby you were referring to was Henry Dwyer, he died 1903 from Congestion of the brain from having Tuberculosis. Nothing in the inquest to suggest neglect
I can't see the Inquest link, but I have the newspaper reports. Henry died in 1893, and it's true that the initial medical report suggested a natural death, but when the inquest was resumed, a new medical report indicated neglect. There was a jury (strange for an inquest I think) and the Coroner gave the jury the choice between wilful practice to secure death, which would be murder, wilful carelessness or neglect which would be manslaughter or neither carelessness or neglect, which would be accidental death. The jury chose the latter. You can read about it here - https://jean4558.wordpress.com/family-stories/charlotte-and-the-baby-farm/.

I was only checking those records out as sometimes they have further information on the family and may make a mention of other children.
Good thought thanks.

When Henry Dwyer died his death index indicates his birth mother as mother.
If these other babies death's were registered under their birth mother's name it might be difficult to track them.
That is an interesting thought. I would guess that normally adopted children's births would be recorded under their birth mother's name, but subsequent documentation (death, marriage, whatever) would be under their adoptive name, as happened with my grandmother. But clearly it wasn't that way for Henry, though perhaps that was because of the circumstances of his death.

But if this is the case for Charlotte and John, then those four are not their birth children and of lesser interest to me, though I'd still like to know. (The whole thing isn't of direct interest to me because that isn't my biological family line, but I was trying to find out more about John and Charlotte. I think it is possible there was some connection between the Clark family and my grandmother's biological parents that led to John and Charllotte adopting her, so I'm working on this aspect.)

Thanks everyone for thoughts so far, there are a few matters I can work on there. And further ideas are very welcome.

Offline Dundee

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 31 July 23 01:26 BST (UK) »

Here is one curiosity. FamilySearch lists a Margaret Elizabeth Clark born 1883, buried 1884 in Melbourne, so she could be possible. But I can't find her on Victoria BDM so I can't ascertain parents.

That would be this one...

Birth

Registration number 21752 / 1883
Family name:  CLARKE
Given name(s)  Margaret Elizabeth
Place of event:  BRUN, Australia
Mother's name  Catherine MCGANN
Father's Name: Henry

Death

Registration number  11433 / 1884
Family name:  CLARKE
Given name(s)  Margt Elizth
Place of event:  BRS`WK, Australia
Mother's name   Cath MCGANN
Father's Name:  Hy

Debra  :)

Offline Eric Hatfield

• RootsChat Senior
  • Sydney, Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 31 July 23 01:39 BST (UK) »
Thanks. Where did that record come from? I have been using Birth Deaths and Marriages Victoria online, but that record is something different.

That clearly isn't the Margaret I am looking for, but I wonder whether ther eis information there that isn't at the site I am using?

Offline giblet

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 31 July 23 01:50 BST (UK) »
In Charlotte's inquest file there is a statement by a woman, Maud Holmes, who claims to be Charlotte's niece. Maud was noted as a single woman, lived at 39 Gove st Windsor. Not sure if that will help you to connect the families.