Author Topic: Mysterious children  (Read 2398 times)

Online Eric Hatfield

• RootsChat Senior
  • Sydney, Australia
    • View Profile
Re: Mysterious children
« Reply #81 on: Saturday 12 August 23 01:45 BST (UK) »
Thanks. I hadn't seen that. Obviously I need to search some more on Trove.

It all adds to the picture I have of Charlotte, showing her to be a victim of circumstances who fell into hard times and appears to have chosen less than honest ways to cope. As I said before, she emigrated alone when only 16, apparently had four stillborn children or maybe children who died very young, adopted other children but neglected poor Henry Dwyer so that he died young, lost her husband who was apparently very ill in his latter years, moved around a lot in her last years perhaps struggling to pay rent, now this court case which it seems she was lucky to be acquitted, apparently suffered from alcoholism, and died when she stumbled off the kerb into the path of a car. It appears to have been a sad and difficult life for her.

It is really helpful to have this item thanks.

Offline giblet

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: Saturday 12 August 23 02:15 BST (UK) »
I have noticed on Olive's birth certificate that she was born on28 Jan 1891 and it appears she [olive] was present at the registration of her birth yet Nellie Goddard reg. the birth and not her birth mother on 19 March 1891. Olive would have been approx 6 weeks old then. Wonder if Nellie looked after Olive until she went to Charlotte??

Offline sparrett

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: Saturday 12 August 23 02:30 BST (UK) »
Somewhere in the lengthy chats about Olive which spreads over two threads,  think I remember you saying you thought you had found a connection between Mary McDONALD, Olive's birth mother and the CLARKEs.

A relationship of some kind.?
Ican't find where you said it so may be wrong.

Sue.
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Online maddys52

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: Saturday 12 August 23 02:35 BST (UK) »
Just for interest, you may have seen this already.

Nellie GODDARD wanting to register her home as a private hospital.
https://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/268347479

An item about Nellie GODDARD, registered nurse but failed to register under Midwives Act.
https://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/268574917

Offline giblet

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: Saturday 12 August 23 03:06 BST (UK) »

Nellie GODDARD wanting to register her home as a private hospital.
https://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/268347479

An item about Nellie GODDARD, registered nurse but failed to register under Midwives Act.
https://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/268574917

Thanks for that.
And going by the birth cert. in attendance to the birth was a Dr Parkinson and N Goddard also. So Nellie was at the actual birth.

Online Eric Hatfield

• RootsChat Senior
  • Sydney, Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: Saturday 12 August 23 03:15 BST (UK) »
Wonder if Nellie looked after Olive until she went to Charlotte??
You'd have to think so, as I don't think formal adoption process began for another 25+ years. Was nurse Goddard a friend or just offering a paid service?

No I hadn't seen those before, thanks. I'd never thought to search Trove for nurse Goddard. But is it the same person? These links are in Yarrawonga, which is a long way from Melbourne, but they were 22 and 29 years later, so quite feasible. I can see it may be worth searching for her some more. I recall someone aleady posted some info about her on this thread, so I'll have to check that out too.

Somewhere in the lengthy chats about Olive which spreads over two threads,  think I remember you saying you thought you had found a connection between Mary McDONALD, Olive's birth mother and the CLARKEs.
A relationship of some kind.?
Yes, it is yet another thing I have to do some more work on. As they say, the more you find out, the more there is to still find out!

I have a distant DNA connection to someone who is descended from JJDClark's wife's sister, and also to someone who had both JJD and Olive in their tree. Now it may just be coincidence - perhaps the matches have nothing to do with the Clark family. It is just a possibility, but an intriguing one. I have done some work on it, but so far haven't been able to establish anything (I need some other matches to see if all descend from the same ancestor - which is how I found Olive's mother).

The possibility is that Olive's father was somehow related to the Clarks, hence my DNA match. This would also explain how the Clarks came to adopt Olive, and why Olive felt (as she told my mum) that JJD was especially fond of her even though Charlotte didn't seem to be. It's just a possibility, but perhaps the best possibility I currently have to find Olive's father.

Offline sparrett

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: Saturday 12 August 23 07:11 BST (UK) »

I have a distant DNA connection to someone who is descended from JJDClark's wife's sister, and also to someone who had both JJD and Olive in their tree. Now it may just be coincidence - perhaps the matches have nothing to do with the Clark family. It is just a possibility, but an intriguing one. I have done some work on it, but so far haven't been able to establish anything (I need some other matches to see if all descend from the same ancestor - which is how I found Olive's mother).

The possibility is that Olive's father was somehow related to the Clarks, hence my DNA match. This would also explain how the Clarks came to adopt Olive, and why Olive felt (as she told my mum) that JJD was especially fond of her even though Charlotte didn't seem to be. It's just a possibility, but perhaps the best possibility I currently have to find Olive's father.

Well I would have to leave that line of research to you. ???

But JJD Clark's wife, Charlotte (nee BOND) came alone to Aust. aged 16.  So I don't know how JJD could have a connection to her sister presumably in Ireland.

Sue

Online Eric Hatfield

• RootsChat Senior
  • Sydney, Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: Saturday 12 August 23 07:15 BST (UK) »
Sorry, I didn't write it correctly. It was JJD's mother's sister. I don't know how I wrote that wrongly. JJDs father was Duncan Clark, he married Hessey Becket and it was her sister. Sorry.

Offline sparrett

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: Saturday 12 August 23 07:52 BST (UK) »
Well!  Genetics is confusing at the best of times  :P
Sue