Author Topic: MCCORMICK  (Read 423 times)

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
Re: MCCORMICK
« Reply #9 on: Monday 31 July 23 12:44 BST (UK) »
Some curious things about that probate record - see screenshot from the Calendar of Probate.

How did he come to die in the church?

And why was it worth the effort and expense of obtaining a grant of probate when his assets in England were only £88? The legal fees could have been enough to wipe that out. 

It might be interesting to see what his death certificate says about his wife/wives. See www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk, Ref statutory deaths 1966/859/2. It's too recent to view online - you'd have to order a copy, cost £12.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 31 July 23 12:48 BST (UK) »
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline rosie17

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 31 July 23 12:52 BST (UK) »
Some curious things about that probate record - see screenshot from the Calendar of Probate.

How did he come to die in the church?

And why was it worth the effort and expense of obtaining a grant of probate when his assets in England were only £88? The legal fees could have been enough to wipe that out. 

It might be interesting to see what his death certificate says about his wife/wives. See www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk, Ref statutory deaths 1966/859/2. It's too recent to view online - you'd have to order a copy, cost £12.

I have viewed it online and that is the place of death on certificate and No other mention of his other wife .Correct names for his parents

Rosie

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 31 July 23 13:33 BST (UK) »
Who was the informant? Cause of death?

Offline rosie17

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 31 July 23 13:45 BST (UK) »
Read reply 1 his brother William McCormick
He died 5hr can't make out the minutes but pm so looks like he had a had a heart attack while in Church
1 Myocardial Infarction
2 Cardiac Failure
3 Coronary Artery Disease

His occupation was Houseman which matches the passenger records

Rosie

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 31 July 23 14:27 BST (UK) »
So presumably William McCormick, retired civil servant, to whom probate was granted, was this brother. If Archibald was 70, none of his children would have been old enough to be retired.

And presumably the wife who was mentioned on the certificate was Mary Ellen Griffin?

In which case, and given the other information unearthed, it looks as if the one married to Isabella must have been a different Archibald McCormick.

FreeBMD lists six McCormick children with mother's maiden name Griffin between 1921 and 1925. Of these three are in West Derby, one in Marylebone and two in Amesbury and it doesn't look as if they are all one family. Robin J was born in Amesbury in 1923, and  another one was born in Amesbury in 1924.

Then there are four McCormack, mother's maiden name Griffin, one in Prescot and three in Salisbury, the last one in 1933. So it does look as if Archibald and Ellen were still in Wiltshire in 1933.

Offline rosie17

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Monday 31 July 23 14:59 BST (UK) »
The death for the Archibald McCormick born 22 August 1896 born Bladnoch Wigtonshire
He can be found on the 1901 census address 38a Milburn St Kirkcudbright

Archibald McCormick born Bladnoch Wigtonshire age 5
His father John McCormick occupation ( road roller driver ) matches the occupation on Archibald McCormick death certificate

Mary Ellen Griffin is not mentioned as his wife it's Isabella ??Kina copy very blurred

The poster has mentioned Archibald left his wife

So I would say I have the correct Archibald the correct parents and Isabella that fits in with passenger record .Archibald McCormick can be found on some electoral records with a Isabella McKinna and there is a marriage 1947 Lambeth which is  good possibility

Rosie

Offline rosie17

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday 01 August 23 11:21 BST (UK) »
Wow! Thank you.

I have also dug up some info. He did marry Isabella, in Lambeth in 1947, they flew to New York shortly after.
They did trips back and forth in 1953 and 1957, address in Toronto onslow crescent. Couple of Addresses in London, found electoral roles 1946 and 1947, she was mckinna. She was married to an Edward mckinna and widowed before she married Archibald. Address listed on passenger lists when they visited, Overton rd Brixton.
I can’t him coming home, but found her death and gravestone, Toronto
I’m now imagining the “story” next stop his army records!
Thank you so so much 😊

Glad it was the right information just noticed your reply this morning  :)

Rosie

Offline rosie17

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Tuesday 01 August 23 11:32 BST (UK) »
Kristie you won't find an arrival for Archibald McCormick UK.Incoming Passenger list just goes  up to 1960 .He most probably came home after Isabella died ,I think you can send me a private message and I can send you the death certificate

Rosie