Author Topic: Just found a cousin in New Zealand need a bit of help  (Read 2605 times)

Offline Lucy2

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Just found a cousin in New Zealand need a bit of help
« Reply #45 on: Saturday 16 September 23 15:43 BST (UK) »
Orphanage :   

*     Do you have any real proof that he was in an orphanage  ?    Or is it just hearsay ?

There's no point at this stage looking at orphanages / industrial schools or whatever, unless you have some firm evidence of where exactly, (the locality), he was placed.    I know you've said Auckland ... that there was a brother too.   But nothing's been found to back that up ... yet !   So it's best placed to one side at the moment.   

I think I said it before ...

--  Yes, some of this IS "recent history" for which certain records may be difficult to obtain (e.g. privacy regulations still in force)  - they may not be accessible online - or they may cost $$ to purchase :

The best starting point (- and I don't want to harp on about it again  -) is to obtain information from the events you actually know about. 

Official records --  e.g.  ANDERSON  Marriage record 1955 ... and only order the "Printout" of this record (as it gives the maximum information available).

--  And now you've mentioned his divorce in 1955 -- maybe the Printout record of this first marriage in 1950 is also worth purchasing ?   Who knows what information that has ? 

--  The children of his 1955 marriage will have birth records - (information on full birth records will state where their father was born / his age at the time of their births ).  Is that information known to the cousin ??    If so, are there any discrepancies in that information ??  Is his birthplace info and age consistent ?

--  Also worthwhile adding here, links to any new threads you start which relate to same topic of finding John ANDERSON's birth family.   

~  Lu

Offline Lucy2

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: Saturday 16 September 23 16:20 BST (UK) »
.....   I think I now know the side of my family that connects me
to the Anderson and Moses family's through my DNA

My grandad was Charles Adam Yeo his father Charles Mathew Yeo was born in 1844 Freenaglas Cornwall.

We have just found we have another DNA match with the name Yeo but he has no tree on ancestry I have sent a message but no reply as yet.

*    Have you followed up on Charles Adam YEO ?

I don't want to put all the details here (for privacy reasons), but wondered if you'd seen  the newspaper article published in "The Advertiser" of 19 January 1905 -- page 6 -- column five (this newspaper I think serves the area of Barrow ?).      Article entitled " Married at Eighteen" comes up (as a clue) under a search at FindMyPast by using his full name.

*    Have you had a follow up with the other DNA match to YEO (the one without ancestry tree)  ??

~  Lu

Offline minniehaha

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • "To live in hearts we leave behind, Is not to die"
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: Saturday 16 September 23 22:21 BST (UK) »
PM sent with suggestion about making contact with a well known Yeo New Zealander. Details provided. Who knows, it might go somewhere.....

Minniehaha.
HAMMOND, Cainham/Caynham, Shropshire, U.K. Otago-NZ.
GALBRAITH, Ireland, Dunedin, Otago-NZ., Kensington-London, U.K.
GRANT, Sct., Dunedin, Otago-NZ., Vancouver, Canada.
GLASS, Aberdeenshire, Otago-NZ.
CAIRNEY/CARNEY/KEARNEY/Ireland, Airdrie, Scotland, Otago-NZ.
O'BRIEN Mary Ann, Limerick, Otago-NZ.
NICOL(L) James, Scotland, Otago-NZ.
SCOTT Thomas, Shetland, Otago-NZ.
MCHARDY/MCHARDIE Euphemia, Scotland, Otago-NZ.

Offline slewis

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: Sunday 17 September 23 07:51 BST (UK) »
Thank you minniehaha
Povah Liverpool,wrexham
Kelly, Manchester, Yorkshire
Crook Liverpool, Bolton
Yeo,Barrow in Furness, Stoke Damerel

Offline slewis

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: Sunday 17 September 23 11:08 BST (UK) »
Hi Lu
every think you have said makes sences I wish I could just pop round to see my cousin and have a look my self at whatshe dose have
re the orphanage my cousin said her father told her.
The Yeo DNA match still no contact.
I have not seen the news paper article in  The Advertiser I am not on Find my Past I will see what I can find on ancestry
I am sending you a PM
Sue
Povah Liverpool,wrexham
Crook Liverpool, Bolton

Online Dundee

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: Monday 18 September 23 11:36 BST (UK) »

My grandad was Charles Adam Yeo his father Charles Mathew Yeo was born in 1844 Freenaglas Cornwall.

I think that Charles Adam might be your prime suspect as the father of this John ANDERSON.

There is a bit of a sketch of his life here:

http://theauxiliaries.com/vets-drivers-div/t-cons-x-y-z/yeo-c/c-yeo.html

There is a gap between when he deserted his family in 1905 and when he enlisted in 1917.  He was working on merchant ships for at least part of that time and was in New Zealand.

https://www.crewlist.org.uk/people/crew

I can see a couple of voyages.

1907 - Page is torn but appears to be Kaipara (Fireman)

https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:QJDV-ZJ7W

1908 - Orari  (Fireman)

https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:KL1W-5T1

You would think that if your cousin also has a close DNA match to any descendants of Charles' first marriage then that should clinch it.

Debra  :)

Offline slewis

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: Monday 18 September 23 12:57 BST (UK) »
Hi Dundee
 Thank you so much for for all this information you are spot on and for the links I really appreciate your help.
Yes we both have another 1st/2nd cousin but he is not replying to our messages. He is also in New Zealand, also have a 2nd/3rd cousin we are almost sure Charles Adam is grandfather to both me and my cousin.
Thanks again kind regards Sue
Povah Liverpool,wrexham
Crook Liverpool, Bolton

Offline Lucy2

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: Monday 18 September 23 20:07 BST (UK) »

*    Have you followed up on Charles Adam YEO ?
....  wondered if you'd seen  the newspaper article published in "The Advertiser" of 19 January 1905 -- page 6 -- column five (this newspaper I think serves the area of Barrow ?).      Article entitled " Married at Eighteen" comes up (as a clue) under a search at FindMyPast by using his full name.

Sue ...  the newspaper article referred to above, is the same as the one which Dundee has just sent you in her (first) link.   [That will save you going looking for it. ]

Great work, Dundee with sourcing and collating all that info for Charles Adam YEO.    :)

~  Lu

Offline slewis

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: Monday 18 September 23 21:38 BST (UK) »
Hi Lu
 Yes I have seen it this afternoon with Dundee post, Charles married in 1901 said he was 21 He was born in 1882 . 
I believe Charles Adam is John Anderson father  and we now no that he did travel to New Zealand. That means John Anderson was born  in NZ ( when, we’re, and name) ???
Thank you both I could not have done it with out you.
Kind regards Sue

Povah Liverpool,wrexham
Crook Liverpool, Bolton