Author Topic: More 1683 Scatchard Quarter sessions entries  (Read 103 times)

Offline mezentia

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
More 1683 Scatchard Quarter sessions entries
« on: Sunday 30 July 23 16:28 BST (UK) »
This entry appears to be an indictment of one Catherine Scatchard for stealing a pair of shoes, a pair of gloves and an apron from one William Hartley.

So far I have:

Scatcherd Catherina
Ac q{uo}d Cathernina Scatcherd nup{er} de Arkworth
in le West rid{ing} Com{itatus} pr{ae}d{ictae} Spinster primi die July
Anno {dicte} D{o}m{imini} n{ost}ri Georgii Dei grat{ia} nunc Regis
Magn{ae} Brit{anniae} et tertio vi e armis et apud Batley
in le West rid{ing} Com{itatus} pr{ae}d{ictae} pa{??} calcea{menta} (Augce a
pair of shoes) {??} semicint{?..?} (Augce an Apron) et {??}
pa{?} churothecas{?} (Augce a pair of Gloves) ad valen{?}
quatuor soli{?} et sex denare ad Conis et Catallis
{t}ujusdin Willi Hartley adt{??} et i{?}m inpeu{?} exi{??}
illite et injuste cepit et aspertavit Contra par d{icti} D{o}m{ini}
Regis {??} Coron{am} et Dignitat  suas etc.

Test
Willus Hartley

which I attempt to translate as:

And that Catherine Scatchard lately of Arkworth in the West Riding ?? Spinster on the first day of July in the year of our Lord George the third by the grace of God King of Britain and ?? did with force of arms at Batley om the West Riding aforesaid ?..? (?? a pair of shoes) ?..? (?? an Apron) ?..? (?? a pair of gloves) to the value of ?? and six denare ?..? of William Hartley ?..? contrary to the peace of our Lord his crown and dignity &c

Corrections gratefully received :)
Anderson - Leics., Yorks.; Attwood - Worcs., Staffs.,  Salop; Baylis - Worcs.; Beach/Bache - Worcs., Staffs., Salop; Bills - Devon, Worcs.<br />Dovey - Worcs., Staff., Salop; Gill - Worcs.; Hampton - Worcs., Staffs.; Hancox/Hancocks - Worcs., Staffs.<br />Hill - Worcs., Staffs., Salop; Sherwood - Worcs., Staffs.; Stonyer - Worcs., Staff., Salop, Essex<br />Woodall - Worcs., Staffs.; Potter - Essex.

Offline arthurk

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: More 1683 Scatchard Quarter sessions entries
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 30 July 23 17:16 BST (UK) »
A few thoughts:

Catherine is of Ackworth, not Arkworth.

in le West rid{ing} Com{itatu} pr{ae}d{icto} - in the County of the West Riding aforesaid (I've changed the endings here to what I think are correct)

For '...Magn{ae} Brit{anniae} et tertio' read '...Magn{ae} Brit{anniae} etc tertio' ('of Great Britain etc, the third [year]')

Augce is Angce - a contraction of Anglicae (= in English)

'quatuor soli{?} et sex denare' read 'quatuor soli{dum} et sex denar{ium}' (four shillings and six pence)

'{t}ujusdin Willi Hartley' needs to be read with the word in the margin: 'Test[imonium] cuiusd[a]m Will[iam]i Hartley' (The testimony of a certain William Hartley)

Those are the bits I managed.
Researching among others:
Bartle, Bilton, Bingley, Campbell, Craven, Emmott, Harcourt, Hirst, Kellet(t), Kennedy,
Meaburn, Mennile/Meynell, Metcalf(e), Palliser, Robinson, Rutter, Shipley, Stow, Wilkinson

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Bookbox

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 30 July 23 17:17 BST (UK) »
You have more or less all of it right. It's quicker for me to write it out again, in both languages, rather than fiddle about with the brackets and queries - if you don't mind.

Scatcherd Catherina
Ac q(uo)d Catherina Scatcherd nup(er) de Ackworth
in le West rid(ing) Com(itatu) p(re)d(icto) Spinster primo die Julij
Anno r(eg)ni D(omi)ni n(ost)ri Georgij Dei gra(tia) nunc Regis
Magn(e) Brit(annie) &c tertio vi & armis &c apud Batley
in le West rid(ing Com(itatu) p(re)d(icto) unu(m) par calces (Anglice a
pair of shoes) unu(m) semicinct(orium) (Anglice an Apron) et un(um)
par chirothecare (Anglice a pair of Gloves) ad valen(ciam)
quatuor solid(orum) et sex denar(iorum) de bonis et Catallis
cujusd(a)m Will(elm)i Hartley adtunc et ib(ide)m invent(a) exist(entia)
ill(ic)ite et injuste cepit et asportavit Contra pac(em) d(i)c(t)i D(omi)ni
Regis nunc Coron(am) et Dignitat(em) suas &c
Test(is)
Will(elmus) Hartley

Catherine Scatcherd
And that Catherine Scatcherd, lately of Ackworth in the West Riding in the aforesaid county, spinster, on the first day of July in the third year of the reign of our lord George by the grace of God King of Great Britain etc., with force and arms etc., at Batley in the West Riding in the aforesaid county, did unlawfully and unjustly take and carry away one pair of shoes (in English, a pair of shoes), one apron (in English, an apron) and one pair of gloves (in English, a pair of gloves) to the value of four shillings and sixpence, from the goods and chattels of a certain William Hartley, then and there being found, against the peace of the said lord King, his crown and dignity etc.
Witness – William Hartley

Notes
Ackworth, not Arkworth
The regnal year, in this case tertio (= 3rd), always comes at the end of the dating clause.
Where goods are described in English, e.g. 'a pair of shoes', the preceding word in the bracket is Anglice = 'in English'. This is often found where the clerk has had to produce a Latin rendering of an everyday English term, just to ensure clarity.

(Sorry, arthurk, you just beat me to it - no red warning received!)

Offline arthurk

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 30 July 23 17:25 BST (UK) »

;D ;D ;D - but you did all of it!

I missed the goods and chattels bit, so scrub what I put about the bit in the margin. I also didn't double-check the endings for shillings and pence, so I'll defer to you on that as well.
Researching among others:
Bartle, Bilton, Bingley, Campbell, Craven, Emmott, Harcourt, Hirst, Kellet(t), Kennedy,
Meaburn, Mennile/Meynell, Metcalf(e), Palliser, Robinson, Rutter, Shipley, Stow, Wilkinson

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Bookbox

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 30 July 23 17:31 BST (UK) »

;D ;D ;D - but you did all of it!

I missed the goods and chattels bit, so scrub what I put about the bit in the margin. I also didn't double-check the endings for shillings and pence, so I'll defer to you on that as well.

Well, I'm not at all sure about my endings for the shoes and gloves - they don't match Latham's Revised Medieval Latin Word-List. I sometimes think the clerks just made these endings up when they weren't sure ;D

Offline mezentia

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 30 July 23 18:26 BST (UK) »
Thank you both. I will go through your replies and add more to my word and phrase list.

Latham's Revised Medieval Latin Word-List

will be added to my acquisition list :)
Anderson - Leics., Yorks.; Attwood - Worcs., Staffs.,  Salop; Baylis - Worcs.; Beach/Bache - Worcs., Staffs., Salop; Bills - Devon, Worcs.<br />Dovey - Worcs., Staff., Salop; Gill - Worcs.; Hampton - Worcs., Staffs.; Hancox/Hancocks - Worcs., Staffs.<br />Hill - Worcs., Staffs., Salop; Sherwood - Worcs., Staffs.; Stonyer - Worcs., Staff., Salop, Essex<br />Woodall - Worcs., Staffs.; Potter - Essex.