Author Topic: Missing children  (Read 525 times)

Offline eda

• RootsChat Senior
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
Re: Missing children
« Reply #9 on: Monday 31 July 23 08:35 BST (UK) »
Thanks so much for these records
I didn't realise Thomas was a twin,, lm hoping l can find just where the children and Michael the father went onto live, from a recent dna connection they tell me the oldest child john also left his wife, if I'm correct he is my husbands grandfather  who changed his name and remarried,,
heywood Lancashire  stubbs ,macclesfeild cheshire
winstanley ,  brown, gatley ,mitchel ( milligan/mulligan Blackburn Prescot prestwich Mayo and swineford area )dwyer, Harrison birkenhead and ireland

Offline amondg

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 31 July 23 08:44 BST (UK) »
I'm beginning to think that Martin Mulligan is actually Michael Mulligan, the ages of the children
match those of Michael and Bridget.

Catherine could be someone who moved in after Bridget died as you say there is no marriage.

I think the only way to find out is a copy of a marriage certificate to see who they name as their father

Ref: 1911 census all living together

Samuel Beardmore married Catherine Mulligan 1905 reg. Blackburn
William Henry Horne married Mary Mulligan 1903 reg. Blackburn
John William McCabe married Ellen Mulligan 1909 reg. Blackburn  (Nellie in 1911)

Note all the women born Widnes Lancashire

Offline eda

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 31 July 23 09:15 BST (UK) »
My thoughts, are the same as yours,, l have tried explaining to other Web sites about my findings but nobody understood so it made me doubt the possibility of this being the same family,, so thanks,, according to my Irish research Michael did have a brother named Martin,, Irish famlies seemed to change names, my husbands grandfather changed his first name at least three times and his surname from mulligan to milligan not a drastic change but it didn't help until my husband did a dna test,, l cannot find the marriage of Martin and Catherine or births of children,, but Micheal and Bridget married and have children's births,, so now l will try for the marriage of one of the famlies on the 1911,, also on my husbands grandfather's marrieag certs he gives a false name for his father on both of his marriages,, we know he was on the run from military police 1917,,,have this record,, it's certainly a challenge,,, thanks again
winstanley ,  brown, gatley ,mitchel ( milligan/mulligan Blackburn Prescot prestwich Mayo and swineford area )dwyer, Harrison birkenhead and ireland

Offline Dundee

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 31 July 23 11:11 BST (UK) »
I'm beginning to think that Martin Mulligan is actually Michael Mulligan, the ages of the children
match those of Michael and Bridget.

I had come to the same conclusion and I also think it would be worth having a look at the children's marriage certs to see father's name.  Perhaps the two older girls to start with, the younger ones might have been a bit hazy.

Debra  :)

Offline eda

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 31 July 23 13:36 BST (UK) »
Thankyou Debra,,
Just seen the cost of a marriage cert and as l said in a earlier post this family liked to change  names,, lm convinced they are the same person,,

Offline eda

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 01 August 23 22:28 BST (UK) »
After looking through british news paper archives l found a report of mistreating a child,, the child was Martin mulligan aged 7yrs, the address given was moore Street Blackburn dated 1899 the father who illtreated him was Michael mulligan,, moore Street is the address where all the girls of this family were living 1911 all married,, so yes Michael changed his name to Martin and said his wife was Catherine,, l also found a death for a Michael mulligan in Blackburn 1910 which l have applied for,, l now want to find out what happened to the child Martin,,,