Author Topic: A total Brickwall  (Read 1629 times)

Online heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: A total Brickwall
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 01 August 23 09:48 BST (UK) »
Where do you have him in censuses and marriage HG?

There is a George Engles here in Illinois in 1910
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:MKD3-ZQV

Sorry, but that is not him. This is him and he is listed with the surname, English:

George English
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:MPXM-TT6

The Engels were living in Pawtucket, Providence, Rhode Island, United States.

Thank you. That’s better. It helps with context for searchers. The page does have ‘Englis’ though - no ‘h’.

The 1920 one shows year of immigration as 1900 so could it be a wider search than 1903?
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Online rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 01 August 23 09:53 BST (UK) »

I searched them numerous times to find him no where inside them, so I need a new pair of Eyes. Possibly, George’s surname and for name could be Georgios Ángelos/Angelopoulos

Sorry for demanding if so.

Could you tell us exactly which years you have covered numerous times
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline HistoricalGenealogy

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 01 August 23 12:16 BST (UK) »
Sorry for discluding many information. Here is what I got.

George Engels/Englis was born in Patras, Greece on May 16th, 1885, but due to different calenders, his birth date was also listed as June 12th, 1885.

Katherina Leo / Katherine Mary nče David was born somewhere in Turkey / Syria on October 20th, 1890.

According to some family trees and sources, her parents were Leoq David & Sarah nče Ellis.

George immigrated around October 18th, 1903 on the SS Cambroman. There is a SS Cambroman which arrived at the port of Boston, Massachusetts on october 30th, 1903 but I am still not sure.

Some Family trees say George and Kartherina married on June 6th, 1906 but they do not list any sources.

They lived in Pawtucket (located in Rhodes Island)

They then went on to have many children including Peter (1908), Leo George (1910), William (1912), Sophia (1915), Frederick (1918),
Christrine (1921), James Goerge (1926), Steven (1929).

All the children were born in Rhodes Island.

Later in life, the Engels along with their children moved to Los Angelos, California around 1925.

Nothing really happened until 1977, when George Engels died on October 28th, 1977 and his obituary states that his religion was Greek Orthodox.

Later in 1983, Kartherina Mary Engels passed away on August 28th, 1983. Again, like George it lists her religion as Greek Orthodox.

I am thinking to contact the Local Churches of Patras for George's Baptism Record but I have an issue about what could be his Greek name.

Also with Katherina Leo David, I don't know her Turkish / Syrian name and also the exact location of birth.

This is why if someone could find them in the US Passenger (Manifest) lists, that would help as they list their parents or relatives names and where they are from which could be very important to find more about their ancestors and place of birth.

Thanks for anything in advance.

Online rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 01 August 23 12:21 BST (UK) »

I searched them numerous times to find him no where inside them, so I need a new pair of Eyes. Possibly, George’s surname and for name could be Georgios Ángelos/Angelopoulos

This is to let anyone trying to help you know exactly what years you have searched. 

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 01 August 23 12:27 BST (UK) »

This is to let anyone trying to help you know exactly what years you have searched.

As mentioned before, I said I covered the years 1903, but I may have missed some parts.

The ship he was on was called SS Cambroman which arrived around October 18th, 1903 at Boston, Massachusetts.

I don't know about Katherine.

Online rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 01 August 23 12:30 BST (UK) »
I think that you probably need to search the adjacent years in case the information given was wrong

ADDED page 372 on the link you have given suggests that the Cambroman arrived in the USA on 31st October 1903

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 01 August 23 14:38 BST (UK) »
I think that you probably need to search the adjacent years in case the information given was wrong

ADDED page 372 on the link you have given suggests that the Cambroman arrived in the USA on 31st October 1903

But is there a close name to Georg Engels (Ángelos/Angelopoulos) in there?

I have been busy recently so sometimes I may not reply. Thanks in advance again.

Online rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday 01 August 23 14:48 BST (UK) »
Passenger lists for that sailing cover pages 372 to 464 that is around 90 pages, I would imagine that they are all written in English.  That is a very big ask for any of us to do for you when you have already said you have done it and checked it yourself.

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Tuesday 01 August 23 14:52 BST (UK) »
Passenger lists for that sailing cover pages 372 to 464 that is around 90 pages, I would imagine that they are all written in English.  That is a very big ask for any of us to do for you when you have already said you have done it and checked it yourself.

Is there a way to find more about Katherina Mary nee David?