Author Topic: Marriage Entry Linlithgow in 1705 - I'm not sure what this is all about  (Read 343 times)

Offline JosiahS

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Hi there
Could anyone please help me with a full transcription and explanation of the attached?  I can see that Thomas Struthers the younger is marrying Elizabeth Smith the relict of Thomas Adam, but I'm not sure what all of the other text is telling me.
Many thanks in advance for your help
DU: Jones, Miller, Laverick, Orwin, Burn, Finlay, Robson, Robinson, Jobling, Fenwick, Spoor, Saunders, Billingsley, Appleby
NB: Pickard, Gilchrist, Curry, Heron, Thompson, Bell, Henderson, Aynsley
CU: Bell, Armstrong, Parker
SY: Saunders, Bartlett, Ellis
SX: Bartlett, Cager
BK: Saunders
NY: Miller (Swaledale), Raw
ALL CENSUS INFORMATION CONTAINED IN POSTINGS IS CROWN COPYRIGHT FROM www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline eilthireach

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Marriage Entry Linlithgow in 1705 - I'm not sure what this is all about
« Reply #1 on: Monday 31 July 23 19:02 BST (UK) »
As  much as I can make out at this time of the day!  😂😂 :

July 22d
Thomas Struthers younger [S...... Burger] of this Burgh and Elizabeth Smith relict of umql [=umwhile, meaning the late] Thomas Adam late [dir......] of the Incorporation of the Wrights therein?herein? [doesn't really make sense without further context] Both in this parish; Alexr Smith Chyrurgeon Apothecary Burger of this Burgh... for both [parties] In [Comm .....] forma

Anything in square brackets not 100% certain. Chirurgeon = surgeon

Offline eilthireach

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 31 July 23 19:11 BST (UK) »
Could this be the same Thomas Struthers? Thomas Struthers, slater (All of these in the catalogue of the National Records of Scotland (https://catalogue.nrscotland.gov.uk/nrsonlinecatalogue/search.aspx)

GD30   Papers of the Shairp family of Houston, West Lothian   1455-1926
Country code    GB
Repository code    234
Repository    National Records of Scotland
Reference    GD30/441
Title    Receipt by Thomas Struthers, slater in Linlithgow, to Alexander Guthrie, WS, factor of Thomas Shairp [Sharp] of Blanes [Blance], for mending defects in Kettlestoun Dovecot.
Dates    28/5/

Discharges to Walter Forrester as Treasurer of Linlithgow
Dates    1722-1723
Access status    Open
Location    Off site
Description    1) Discharges Mr Robert Daglish, collegiate minister of Linlithgow to Walter Forrester, 2nd Feb 1722 and 13 Sept 1722 2 items
2) Discharge by Mr William Cumine, doctor of the Grammar School of Linlithgow for a year' salary, 12 Jan 1723
3) Discharge by John Dunbar, subdoctor of the Grammar School of Linlithgow for a year's salary, 1722
4) Discharge by Alexander Bell for a year's salary as clerk, 22nd Jan 1723
5) Discharge of the John Bell, procurator fiscal for salary, 23rd Feb 1723
6) Receipt by George Bell, for rent of [] at back of flesh market, 25th Mar 1723
7) Discharge by George Brown for salary for keeping cloaks, 1723
8) Discharge by Margaret Ramsay, widow of Alexander Mylne of Carriden for rent of the minister's house in Linlithgow, 18th Aug 1722
9) Discharge by Robert Strang, precentor at Linlithgow Grammar for house rent, 27th Jan 1722
10) Discharge by James Lowrie for glazier work, 26th March 1723
11) Discharge by Thomas Struthers, slater, 31st Dec 1722

Offline GR2

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 31 July 23 19:25 BST (UK) »
                                                       July 22d
Thomas Struthers younger Sclaiter Burges of this Burgh and Elizabeth Smith
 Relict of umqu[hi]l[e] Thomas Adam late deacon of the Incorporation of the
wrights therein Both in this paroch; Alexr Smith Chyrurgeon Apothecary
Burges of this Burgh cau[tione]r for both parties In Communi forma

Thomas Struthers younger (his father is still alive and also called Thomas) is a slater (sclaiter) by trade and also a burgess of the burgh, with special trading rights there. He is contracting marriage with Elizabeth Smith, widow (relict) of the late (umquhile) Thomas Adam, who was deacon of the incorporation or guild of wrights (joiners/carpenters) in the burgh. They are currently both living in this parish (paroch). Alexander Smith, perhaps a relation of the bride's, surgeon (chyrurgeon) apothecary and burgess of the burgh is cautioner for both bride and groom in common form (in communi forma = Latin), in other words as is standard practice. The bride and groom each had to deposit a sum of money with the session clerk when they indicated they wished to marry. These were called pledges. If the couple did not marry within forty days, or if there was any scandal associated with the wedding, then they forfeited the pledges. If there were no problems, the money was returned. An alternative, as here, was to name someone who would stand caution or surety for the money. In that case, no money was handed over at the time, but the cautioner, here Alexander Smith, undertook to pay the money if there were a scandal or the wedding did not go ahead in good time.

Offline Isabel H

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 31 July 23 23:02 BST (UK) »
deleted - posted in wrong place
GRAY - Inveresk; Lanarkshire
LINDSAY - Lanarkshire
PURDIE - Lanarkshire; W. Lothian
POZZI - Elgin; Lancashire
MACKENZIE, MORISON - Stornoway
ARCHIBALD, HAY, HUNTER, SNADDON - Clackmannanshire
COXON, HALL, JACKSON, SHOTTON - Northumberland

Offline JosiahS

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 01 August 23 11:02 BST (UK) »
That's a brilliant explanation - many thanks indeed for your help!

All the best
DU: Jones, Miller, Laverick, Orwin, Burn, Finlay, Robson, Robinson, Jobling, Fenwick, Spoor, Saunders, Billingsley, Appleby
ALL CENSUS INFORMATION CONTAINED IN POSTINGS IS CROWN COPYRIGHT FROM www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline JosiahS

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 01 August 23 11:03 BST (UK) »
Thanks for this - I'll check into it further  :)

Could this be the same Thomas Struthers? Thomas Struthers, slater (All of these in the catalogue of the National Records of Scotland (https://catalogue.nrscotland.gov.uk/nrsonlinecatalogue/search.aspx)

GD30   Papers of the Shairp family of Houston, West Lothian   1455-1926
Country code    GB
Repository code    234
Repository    National Records of Scotland
Reference    GD30/441
Title    Receipt by Thomas Struthers, slater in Linlithgow, to Alexander Guthrie, WS, factor of Thomas Shairp [Sharp] of Blanes [Blance], for mending defects in Kettlestoun Dovecot.
Dates    28/5/

Discharges to Walter Forrester as Treasurer of Linlithgow
Dates    1722-1723
Access status    Open
Location    Off site
Description    1) Discharges Mr Robert Daglish, collegiate minister of Linlithgow to Walter Forrester, 2nd Feb 1722 and 13 Sept 1722 2 items
2) Discharge by Mr William Cumine, doctor of the Grammar School of Linlithgow for a year' salary, 12 Jan 1723
3) Discharge by John Dunbar, subdoctor of the Grammar School of Linlithgow for a year's salary, 1722
4) Discharge by Alexander Bell for a year's salary as clerk, 22nd Jan 1723
5) Discharge of the John Bell, procurator fiscal for salary, 23rd Feb 1723
6) Receipt by George Bell, for rent of [] at back of flesh market, 25th Mar 1723
7) Discharge by George Brown for salary for keeping cloaks, 1723
8) Discharge by Margaret Ramsay, widow of Alexander Mylne of Carriden for rent of the minister's house in Linlithgow, 18th Aug 1722
9) Discharge by Robert Strang, precentor at Linlithgow Grammar for house rent, 27th Jan 1722
10) Discharge by James Lowrie for glazier work, 26th March 1723
11) Discharge by Thomas Struthers, slater, 31st Dec 1722