Author Topic: Dublin employee records of London and Northern Railways  (Read 354 times)

Offline ourgang

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Dublin employee records of London and Northern Railways
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 06 August 23 12:11 BST (UK) »
Hello DevonPaddy B

Where did you discover that you GGF Peter Byrne was an employee of the London and North Western Railway Company?. Do you have the dates when he was a clerk and maybe what office location he worked in?. Sometimes employment records would be archived for notable engineers, maybe directors, company board members but there were probably many clerks and I venture that not many records were kept of their labours.
The Irish Railway Record Society have a premises at the side of Heuston Station in Dublin and used to have a Library night on a Tuesday when volunteers would aid the general public in searching records. I read in their June 2023 Journal that Rhona Murray , Senior Content Acquisition Manager at Ancestry's Dublin office in Sir John Rogerston's Quay is in the process of digitising railway staff records at IRRS and they will eventually be available on Ancestry.
Have a look at the IRRS site   https://irrs.ie/
McGuirk, Jordan of Wicklow
Carr of Liverpool
Connor of Blackrock

Offline ourgang

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 06 August 23 12:27 BST (UK) »
Hello again DevonPaddy B

Just as I was posting the reply above a friend advised that in 1923 the London and North Western Railway Company, along with other smaller companies, amalgamated to form the LMS, the London, Midland and Scottish Railway.
So if your GGF was working after 1923 he would be LMS staff becoming British Railways in 1948.
McGuirk, Jordan of Wicklow
Carr of Liverpool
Connor of Blackrock

Offline DevonPaddyB

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 07 August 23 20:04 BST (UK) »
That sounds like the record source that I was being directed to - many thanks.

I must confess I got my generations and relationships a bit confused in my first posting.
My GGF was Christopher J. Byrne and was listed as the Horse Keeper for the railway company on his census records. His son Peter (my Great Uncle ) was listed as a Shipping Clerk in1901 but according, to  conversation records with his daughter by a relative doing family research, he became Chief Clerk of the company later on.  My GF and his wife were door porters for the company.
I was trying to convey all this to my niece visiting Dublin last week, hence my mix up.

Thanks for your post, I will follow it up.
Ireland: Quirk(e), Flood, Quin, Toole,
Byrne, Brennan, Walsh
England: Andrews, Powell, Freeman, Yarnold, Mason,
Wainwright, Biddlestone, Sanders, Perrin

Offline Kiltaglassan

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Seven Sisters mountain range in Co Donegal
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 07 August 23 20:45 BST (UK) »

His son Peter (my Great Uncle ) was listed as a Shipping Clerk in1901....

House 9 in Nixon Street (North Dock, Dublin)
http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1901/Dublin/North_Dock/Nixon_Street/1276588/
http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/reels/nai003684368/

Doesn't look like shipping clerk, but I'm not sure what it is.
Does anybody know what his occupation was?

Researching: Cuthbertson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Australia; Hunter – Co. Derry; Jackson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Canada; Scott – Co. Derry; Neilly – Co. Antrim & USA; McCurdy – Co. Antrim; Nixon – Co. Cavan, Co. Donegal, Canada & USA; Ryan & Noble – Co. Sligo

Offline DevonPaddyB

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 07 August 23 21:50 BST (UK) »
The first reference shows the transcribed record and if you choose "Show all information" it gives his occupation as Shipping Clerk.
The second reference shows an image of the Census Record itself and it shows it recorded as  "Sipping Clerk"
The 1911 record shows him at 13 New Wapping Street and listed as Railway Clerk.
Ireland: Quirk(e), Flood, Quin, Toole,
Byrne, Brennan, Walsh
England: Andrews, Powell, Freeman, Yarnold, Mason,
Wainwright, Biddlestone, Sanders, Perrin