Author Topic: Changing a tree for DNA  (Read 244 times)

Offline Skaife

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Changing a tree for DNA
« on: Tuesday 01 August 23 12:09 BST (UK) »
Hi I would to change the tree that I have linked to my DNA results. The one I am now able to add has far more people than my original. I can see where to change the tree but it wants to know who I am - my own name  on the tree is just identified by initials ( as I’m living!) - which it won’t accept. Any ideas how I can get round this ?

Offline Biggles50

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Changing a tree for DNA
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 01 August 23 14:15 BST (UK) »
Who have you tested with?

Are you the account holder of the location where your tree is located?

If you are trying to link your DNA results into a tree whose account holder is not you, then yes, you will be denied access.

If tested with Ancestry then you can only link to one tree at a time, to link to another tree firstly you have to unlink from your existing linked location.

We need more info to accurately help.

Offline Skaife

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 01 August 23 15:21 BST (UK) »
Thank you Biggles50 - great to have your input. I am with Ancestry and I am the account holder. I’d realised that the tree I had attached  to my DNA was not very wide so all I wanted to do was to change it for another tree where I have details of many more ancestors.

It appears that I have managed to change the tree successfully - the screen has now changed - and in the little frame which indicates me on the tree it does just appear with my initials. So fingers it will all be fine.

I’m hoping to gather more suggestions on thru lines!

Thankyou for your time

Offline Biggles50

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 01 August 23 22:51 BST (UK) »
Pleased you are sorted

Good luck