Author Topic: Diary summary week ending 6th August  (Read 1675 times)

Offline louisa maud

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Diary summary week ending 6th August
« on: Tuesday 01 August 23 18:01 BST (UK) »
No one has started the new week so here I am.

I have had an emotional  afternoon in some ways , I decided to go through photographs, I must have hundreds upon hundreds of them, lots came from my
mother when her flat was emptied, amongst photographs I found our dogs  pedigree papers, very interesting !, Laddie was born  1st  January 1940, the pedigree lists to his Gt Gt grandparents, one gt grandparent was a champion and had won over 100 prizes,  his registered name was  Sheenlocks Lad but we called him Laddie, he was the sweetest cocker spaniel , lived to be 12 years old, it looks as if he cost £2 15s 0p, the bill of sale said he could be returned in 48 hours with vetinary  ?., they have stamped on the rest,  the papers are really very clean considering the how old they are , emotional  to say the least, I remember Laddie was taken to the vet when he was 12 , he had to be put to sleep, as he walked  upstairs with the vet he looked back at my dad, my dad was in tears, broke his heart, we never had another dog after Laddie died.

LM
Census information is Crown Copyright,
from  www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Granath Sweden and London
Garner, Marylebone Paddington  Northolt Ilford
Garner, Devon
Garner New Zealand
Maddieson
Parkinson St Pancras,
Jenkins Marylebone Paddington
Mizon/Mison/Myson Paddington
Tindal Marylebone Paddington
Tocock, (name changed to Ellis) London
Southam Marylebone, Paddington
Bragg Lambeth 1800's
Edermaniger(Maniger) Essex Kent Canada (Toronto)
Coveney Kent Lambeth
Sondes kent and London

Offline DianaCanada

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Diary summary week ending 6th August
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 01 August 23 18:35 BST (UK) »
That made me tear up.  My dog is 11 but in excellent shape, and unlike his owners, no signs of aging yet!  OH and his late wife had a dog who lived to be 16, I met him when the dog was 13 I think.  I took her in to the vet when the time came, to spare OH the pain.  She’d had a very good life, a Brittany spaniel.  I must say he spoils this little one more than he did the Brittany, he was strict with her.  She would jump the fence at times, something the current dog can only dream about.
Would those papers be of interest to an association of breeders?
Viktoria, you mentioned in a previous post your church or community having a jigsaw puzzle exchange, if only I lived closer!

Offline jo1962

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 01 August 23 18:37 BST (UK) »
Aww, that's a lovely story LM. Dogs really do get into your heart. Being a dog lover and owner myself I understand how your dad must have felt. It sounds as though Laddie had a lovely home and family. My westie, Bob, is now 13.5 years old and has slowed down massively in the last 6 months. I do have a new puppy who is now 4 months old and I love her dearly but I know when it's Bob's time to leave I will feel just like your dad. On another note, how wonderful to have so many old photo's to look at.

Offline louisa maud

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 01 August 23 19:04 BST (UK) »
My parents were told at the time that cocker  spaniels rarely live after about 9 years, he went everywhere with us, never made a mess indoors, we didn't have a garden, he was a well behaved dog and we all loved him, I can even remember the date 29th November 1952.,
The photos, some I have no idea who they are as they came from my parents home, I had sat with my m,other at onetime putting  details on the back but a whole batch was missed, I would like to put them in order and send them to the families concerned.
I found  some photos of my neighbour in 1977 when we had a street party, she passed away last week, her family might  like  them,  she was on the committee with  me and we all dressed up as majorettes and did a routine, had no idea what we were doing  but it was a laugh .
A dog is a friend for life

LM

Garner, Devon
Garner New Zealand
Maddieson
Parkinson St Pancras,
Bragg Lambeth 1800's
Coveney Kent Lambeth
Sondes kent and London

Offline Viktoria

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 01 August 23 21:06 BST (UK) »
My daughter’s dog, a Border Terrier of exceptional calmness ,is doing another sleepover at Flash  Harry’s , she often does.
Getting old now but a home bred puppy, owner of the mother  a Veterinary Nurse ,so a very good start and used to children whilst still with her mother.
A fantastic little dog.
I nearly got a dog last Sunday , A Cavalier needing rehoming , but a bit of a mystery , change  of mind by owner etc so not got a dog.
For the best as lots of work in son’s house to be done so it will be better when my time is mine ,I can help him a lot ,not heavy stuff but sewing and decorating etc.

Cheerio folks ,look after yourselves.
Viktoria.

Offline Caw1

• RootsChat Senior
  • Joyce Irene Harriss 1920 - 2011
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 01 August 23 23:17 BST (UK) »
LM your tale about your lovely Laddie brought a tear to my eyes, I’m sure he was greatly missed.
As a child we had a Black and Tan dachshund (Mandy) who had flown out to join us when we moved to Ethiopia in early 1950’s, she was a little dear and adored my mother, we also had a German Shepherd (Fanny) who was very respectful to Mandy.. sadly she became infirm and couldn’t walk well so the vet came to the house and she was put to sleep… we were all dreadfully upset as you can imagine .. she was about 10 I think… we had her buried in a quiet spot at the bottom of the garden, we kept Fanny in the house until after the event but as soon as she went out she made a b line for Mandy’s grave and stayed there for a week sitting beside her, nothing would entice her in until she’d finally decided herself that she’d stayed there for long enough… I remember it all so vividly..

Talking of photos… I was looking through our wedding album on Saturday and noticed some photos were missing… I realised my daughter must have removed them when she was making a photo book for my 70th birthday and handed them all back in a large envelope… of course you know what it’s like once I’d found and replaced them I then went through all the others finding their homes… took me all afternoon but I really enjoyed looking through them all and the memories flooding back. The only sadness was seeing so many pictures of family and friends who are no longer with us.

Well it’s our 50th anniversary on Friday and we e got family and friends coming on Saturday for a bbq … I think we might be defeated by the weather… but my OH insists he’s going out to bbq… mad fool, but I think we’ll have to eat indoors, such a pity as all our other family bbq celebrations over the years have always had good weather testified by all the photos I looked on Saturday! Still it will be nice to all get together, apart from my son & wife as it’s along way to come from Brisbane!

Good to hear you son is getting organised in his new home Viktoria, I’m sure you’ll be a great help with sewing and decorating, he’s lucky to have you so close at hand. Good luck with it all.

Take care everyone

Caroline
Guy - UK,USA
Bangerter -UK,Australia,Switzerland
Harriss - UK, Australia
Merrall - UK
Swinnock - UK
Lloyd - UK

Offline louisa maud

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 02 August 23 08:38 BST (UK) »
Congratulations Caroline and your husband on reaching your Golden anniversary,  hope the weather cheers up for you and you can be outside.
This month we have been married for 59 years.
LM

Garner, Devon
Garner New Zealand
Maddieson
Parkinson St Pancras,
Bragg Lambeth 1800's
Coveney Kent Lambeth
Sondes kent and London

Online BumbleB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 02 August 23 08:49 BST (UK) »
Snap - LM.  OH and I celebrated our 59th yesterday, 1 August.  AND we had only known each other for 59 years.  Met in March/April 1964.  I had my sailing date to NZ due in June, but OH suggested I go to London instead and get married.  And we did.  8)
Transcriptions and NBI are merely finding aids.  They are NOT a substitute for original record entries.
Remember - "They'll be found when they want to be found" !!!
If you don't ask the question, you won't get an answer.
He/she who never made a mistake, never made anything.
Archbell - anywhere, any date
Kendall - WRY
Milner - WRY
Appleyard - WRY

Offline louisa maud

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 02 August 23 08:52 BST (UK) »
Crumbs, that was quick, he obviously made a good decision, congratulations to you and your husband, did you celebrate yesterday?

LM

Garner, Devon
Garner New Zealand
Maddieson
Parkinson St Pancras,
Bragg Lambeth 1800's
Coveney Kent Lambeth
Sondes kent and London