Author Topic: Diary summary week ending 6th August  (Read 1673 times)

Online BumbleB

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Diary summary week ending 6th August
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 02 August 23 08:56 BST (UK) »
Thank you.  As I'm not too well at the moment we didn't do anything special.

Transcriptions and NBI are merely finding aids.  They are NOT a substitute for original record entries.
Remember - "They'll be found when they want to be found" !!!
If you don't ask the question, you won't get an answer.
He/she who never made a mistake, never made anything.
Archbell - anywhere, any date
Kendall - WRY
Milner - WRY
Appleyard - WRY

Online Viktoria

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 02 August 23 08:57 BST (UK) »
Congratulations Caroline ,you don’t say how many years you have been married, have a lovely day and take lots more photographs.

We got to 58, would have loved to celebrate our Diamond ,but was not to be.
We had been together for 61 years though ,since I was 16 and he 22.
Not living together  :o.    Ooooh no , not in those days!

My son wants to do quite a bit before he moves in ,it is easier without furniture .
The floor in the utility room is tiled and a couple sound hollow underneath , so he is tasking the tiles up and seeing what is beneath and if all is well one of those floors you just pour on and the compound levels itself , that done then vinyl tiles which will be warmer than hard ones, although that is the back entrance so a traffic area. My back entrance is through French windows from the kitchen ,The house renovators changed the original outlay.
Shame really as I could have looked down the garden whilst washing up ,now it is a blank wall!

He will get it done somehow.

Well must make shape and get on.
Look after yourselves and one another .
Viktoria.
BumbleB ,
P.S. Your post came as I was typing mine so just seen yours .
Sorry to read that,you have not been well for quite a time now but as you had not mentioned anything I was hoping things had improved.
Now hoping you quickly feel better. Let us know .
Viktoria.

Online Caw1

• RootsChat Senior
  • Joyce Irene Harriss 1920 - 2011
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 02 August 23 12:24 BST (UK) »
Congratulations to you BumbleB for your 1st Aug anniversary, sorry you’re not well enough to celebrate, hope your recovery keeps going to perhaps have a later celebration.

Viktoria- we have been married for 50 yrs and have known one another since 1969.. met on a blind date on 15th Feb!
Hope all the work on your sons house goes well and he’ll soon be moving in!

LM - congrats for your 59th too.

Caroline
Guy - UK,USA
Bangerter -UK,Australia,Switzerland
Harriss - UK, Australia
Merrall - UK
Swinnock - UK
Lloyd - UK

Online Viktoria

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 03 August 23 10:43 BST (UK) »
We first went out in August 16th 1953.
I was 16 and he nearly 22!
He looked so much younger but behaved very decently ,my parents were worried but on meeting him ,quiet and polite and respectful ,they softened.
The exact opposite of my older sister’s boyfriend whom they did not like.
He was so different to the daft lads at the Church Youth Club etc ,had done his National Service where he faced death in a daily basis in The Pay Corps!
Played football most of the two years for I suppose The Regiment .
Was atNight School three nights a week for three hours each night doing accountancy.
Quiet and polite, they warmed to him .
His Mother came to speak to my parents as there was such an age gap ,when we wanted to get married ,no idea really what was said but they agreed .
He was mature for his age whilst I was daft!
We made a good pair.
It lasted 58 years, sad we missed our Diamond Wedding , but very good memories and I know I was incredibly lucky.
We “pulled together “as a Lancashire saying has it, both striving for the same things ,ie simply no debt and living within our means.
That was our luxury ,no debt other than the mortgage.

Times changed but we did not really, and I am the same today.

Will be on 16 August 70 years since we first went out and on 18 th our 67 th
Wedding anniversary.
I will have white roses in the house ,as those in my bouquet, there were  lilies  of the valley too and stephanotis , the florist had a job finding those two in
August.

Congratulations to those with anniversaries ,hope you have lovely celebrations however grand or modest they may be.

Hope those unwell start to feel better ,it has been a long haul for quite a few.
Look after yourselves everyone.
Viktoria.

Offline candleflame

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 03 August 23 16:39 BST (UK) »
Ooohhhh LM your post about the dogs pedigrees brought back memories! I have my mums dog pedigrees upstairs as I sorted them when I cleared her papers. They’d always had dogs in her family home and when her mother died when she was only 15, they seemed to start getting pedigree ones.
My father said after they married that there were to be no more dogs,  so once the last one died , that was it. However the animal world got its own back and stray cats would appear at my parents house so we grew up with many different cats over the years, imaginatively called Ginger or Tiger or Mama!
So I grew up as a cat lover and those on the cat thread know I am staff to a rescue cat.

Congratulations on the length of those marriages. We are mere ‘whippersnappers ‘ at 40 years, but we’re a little bit younger than some of you have hinted at on here.
North East of England

Online Viktoria

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 03 August 23 17:44 BST (UK) »
Get the tissues out!
Ben - a super calm friendly Westie, Dad best in Breed at Crufts 1976 when we came back to England .Home bred and just the one puppy in the litter.

Eight weeks old and the vast sum of £35!
Lived to be 16 ,he accepted a naughty Scottie ,then when she died from Leukaemia,after a while a rescue Red Setter.
He was game to the end and on the last morning ,he was breathless so my husband took the Setter out and Ben sat sadly waiting for them to come back.No Vet’s open near us on Sundays.
It was a very cold morning so after just a couple of minutes I went to bring him in and cuddle him as he was sad to be missing his walk I thought .
He was splayed on the floor blue tongue and not sure he was conscious !
Picked him up and  tried to expand his chest a bit and blew into his nose but no improvement .
Gradually the breaths got shallower and longer intervals .
Husband came home and I shouted “ come straight in Ben is ill “
He did and we both cried ,there was a long long pause ,Ben took one shallow breath more and then no more.Silly but as if he waited for my husband and the Setter whom he loved .

I nursed him for half an hour ,just in case he was aware of anything .
A super little dog such a lovely temperament. Well before dogs were almost
tailor made,with the accompanying health problems !

It is always hard to part with pets but euthanasia is often the last kind thing we can do for them. Doesn’t feel like that though does it.

The Setter dud not seem to be sad but we could not know for certain .
When she had to be put to sleep at home —- such a big dog at least six feet from nose to tail tip.Magnifcent, she made me feel  like a millionaire.
An unexplained total collapse ,
Oh dogs, , don’t they pull your heart strings!
Viktoria.

Offline louisa maud

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 03 August 23 17:58 BST (UK) »
Animals do pull at your heart strings Viktoria , my mum and dad never had another dog but we did have cats, that's another story

LM
Census information is Crown Copyright,
from  www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Granath Sweden and London
Garner, Marylebone Paddington  Northolt Ilford
Garner, Devon
Garner New Zealand
Maddieson
Parkinson St Pancras,
Jenkins Marylebone Paddington
Mizon/Mison/Myson Paddington
Tindal Marylebone Paddington
Tocock, (name changed to Ellis) London
Southam Marylebone, Paddington
Bragg Lambeth 1800's
Edermaniger(Maniger) Essex Kent Canada (Toronto)
Coveney Kent Lambeth
Sondes kent and London

Offline DianaCanada

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Thursday 03 August 23 18:57 BST (UK) »
This story which was broadcast locally did cause some tears to fall…especially seeing the parade of dogs.

https://kitchener.ctvnews.ca/memorial-service-for-police-dog-held-in-woodstock-1.6502249

Offline mare

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Friday 04 August 23 06:38 BST (UK) »
Visiting just in time to extend congratulations Caroline for your anniversary, we follow a similar pattern in our timelines again as we met June 1969. Cheers to you both and enjoy celebrating in company of friends and family.
Belated congratulations to you too BB on your 60th anniversary a few days ago, sister and her husband celebrated theirs in May with just their 3 children and partners and the 8 of them in a private room at a nice restaurant but would have happily let it go by if not organised by the daughters and their husbands.
Looking forward to sister in Australia coming over next month for 4 weeks, us 4 sisters will catch up with some get-togethers while she's here, it's been a while since last in NZ and so a bit of tripping about to see other family and friends as well.

Have looked in on the diaries without logging into RC, already many distractions with preparations for the move, deciding what or what not to take with us etc and visualising the space we do or don't have when we get there!

Cheers all ...