Author Topic: Bring out your Photos Please for Restoring and Dating  (Read 1151 times)

Offline jmagarac

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Bring out your Photos Please for Restoring and Dating
« Reply #9 on: Friday 18 August 23 02:54 BST (UK) »
I have two photos that I would love “framed”, or slightly coloured. I don’t know if the people in the background could be made any clearer.  However, my iPad refuses to behave and no matter how much instruction I receive from kind RootsChatters, I can never get the photos reduced to the recommended “size”.

Lisa... many image are very hard to reduce to the 500KB size limitation. It requires lower resolutions and data compression (JPG or JPEG stands for Joint Photographic Experts Group) - or a combination of both. It was, and is, a lossy compression file format developed by this group. It is only possible to compress an image so far, before image degradation occurs. Also opening and saving and then opening and saving will degrade it even further. Try to avoid doing that. If you wanted to send an image to me to reduce your file size to the allowed image size - I would be glad to do that for you. I am on a Mac, and I believe Apple Mail has a size attachment limit of 25 MB.  So anything that size or smaller could be sent via email. You can also send larger files using free online service like MailBigFile and YouSendit and WeTransfer. I have used all of them at one time or another. If you want to send me something... just respond and we can figure out how to get you my email address.

Offline MimiBibi

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 21 August 23 23:17 BST (UK) »
I joined on the weekend and posted a photo of my gran and dad c.1925 - but it's still 'waiting approval'?

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 22 August 23 19:41 BST (UK) »
Hi Mimi and welcome to RootsChat, I'm sure that your photo will be approved soon.
Carol
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

RESTORERS:PLEASE DO NOT USE MY RESTORES WITHOUT PRIOR PERMISSION - THANK YOU

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 22 August 23 22:46 BST (UK) »
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline Lisa in California

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 24 August 23 22:10 BST (UK) »
I have two photos that I would love “framed”, or slightly coloured. I don’t know if the people in the background could be made any clearer.  However, my iPad refuses to behave and no matter how much instruction I receive from kind RootsChatters, I can never get the photos reduced to the recommended “size”.

Lisa... many image are very hard to reduce to the 500KB size limitation. It requires lower resolutions and data compression (JPG or JPEG stands for Joint Photographic Experts Group) - or a combination of both. It was, and is, a lossy compression file format developed by this group. It is only possible to compress an image so far, before image degradation occurs. Also opening and saving and then opening and saving will degrade it even further. Try to avoid doing that. If you wanted to send an image to me to reduce your file size to the allowed image size - I would be glad to do that for you. I am on a Mac, and I believe Apple Mail has a size attachment limit of 25 MB.  So anything that size or smaller could be sent via email. You can also send larger files using free online service like MailBigFile and YouSendit and WeTransfer. I have used all of them at one time or another. If you want to send me something... just respond and we can figure out how to get you my email address.

First, my apologies for not promptly thanking you; I “dropped in” to RootsChat (once?) for just a few moments during the past week and haven’t had a chance to send replies.  :-[  Thank you very much for the explanation and for kindly offering to help.  Two RootsChatters also offered to help (another one I have not replied to/thanked).  At the moment, I’m unable to spend time on RootsChat but I hope to return soon.  Perhaps once things settle down here I can focus on genealogy again. Thank you again for trying to help me.  Lisa

Added: An example of my week, and lack of concentration: when I read your reply date of “Friday 18 August 23 02:54 BST (UK)” I wondered how that could be possible - how could it be Friday, the 23rd today (at the moment, in California) it’s Thursday, the 24th.  It took a few minutes to realize the 23rd was actually the year, not the day of the month.  ::)  ;). Luckily, this is the first time I’ve had that reaction.
Ellison: Co. Wicklow/Canada       Fowley: Sligo/Canada       Furnival: Lancashire/Canada       Ibbotson: Sheffield/Canada       Lee/DeJongh: Lancashire & Cheshire       Mumford: Essex/Canada       Ovens: Ireland/Canada       Sarge: Yorkshire/Canada             Stuart: Sligo/Canada       Sullivan: Co. Clare/Canada      Vaus: Sussex/Surrey      Wakefield: Tuam or Ballinasloe, Ireland              (Surname: Originated/Place Last Lived)  (Canadians lived in Ontario)

Offline still_looking

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 30 August 23 08:01 BST (UK) »
I posted a photo yesterday which will hopefully be approved in the fullness of time, I hope it isn't judged too damaged.

Although I have plenty of others including a few candidates for a 'where am I?' they are not to my knowledge in any way connected to me so I'm reluctant to post them unless they are in some manner identified (e.g. named or in a named group) or they are in some way interesting (e.g. illustrate an old occupation, historical view).

Where a photo can't be scanned is it acceptable to provide a photo instead? I have the option of working from a RAW format so obtaining the necessary dpi shouldn't be difficult.

S_L

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 30 August 23 08:42 BST (UK) »
Hi S_L

Although a good scan is preferable, many members put up photos. Try to keep them as perpendicular as possible when taking the pic. There is a max size of 500kb.

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline still_looking

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday 30 August 23 08:58 BST (UK) »
Hi S_L

Although a good scan is preferable, many members put up photos. Try to keep them as perpendicular as possible when taking the pic. There is a max size of 500kb.

Gadget

Gadget,
Thank you for letting me know, I'll try to do my best.
S_L

Offline jmagarac

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Wednesday 30 August 23 15:17 BST (UK) »
Hi S_L

Gadget

Gadget,
Thank you for letting me know, I'll try to do my best.
S_L

Yes. Square to the lens is most desirable - but SHARP and in-focus trumps that. If, by chance, you can not get the perpendiculars square - then I suggest you write in the actual original dimensions (centimeters or inches) in your request. That way... anyone restoring or repairing your file can match that.