Author Topic: Looking for Lyons in Clontuskert, Galway/Roscommon Ireland - Help  (Read 89 times)

Offline MichaelLyons

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Looking for Lyons in Clontuskert, Galway/Roscommon Ireland - Help
« on: Wednesday 02 August 23 00:58 BST (UK) »
Looking for Lyons in Clontuskert, Galway/Roscommon Ireland. Was able to find some info and went back as far as 1840's.
Grandfather was one of 10. Most of the brothers and sisters moved away(to where?) except for 3, Cis, Michael and Jack, all of which never had kids. From what I can understand There was a Patrick that moved to the U.S.
Grandfather's name was Joseph, son of James Lyons and Bridget Kelly. James was son of also a James of Chapelpark, Clontuskert. There is a cart path, Lyons Boreen that runs through the sheep farm they had.
Anyone with info? What happened to family that moved away? Was the family always from Chaplepark/Clontuskert?

Offline Clontuskertheritage

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Looking for Lyons in Clontuskert, Galway/Roscommon Ireland - Help
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 09 August 23 15:18 BST (UK) »
Hi Mike, this is my first post on roots chat so hopefully I get it right.
James Lyons was also my great grandfather. His father was Johnny Lyons not James though. The older James was his grandfather. There was also at least 13 children but some of them died as babies. There was also one set of triplets and a set of twins. One of the triplets was Jack (born in 1888) who lived to old age but sadly the other 2 triplets died. The twins also survived to adulthood - Paddy and Jim.
I don't think Patrick ended up in the US, I believe he lived in Co. Clare but he may have gone to the US first for a while.
Most of the family stayed locally in Ireland, but one moved to Leitrim, one to Clare, one to Dublin. Another daughter lived in Cornwall in the UK. And your own grandfather Joe went to the US. I will send you more details privately. thanks B