Author Topic: THOMAS Ann Lee nee CURNOW South Australia burial location 1893  (Read 220 times)

Offline barbatalice

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
THOMAS Ann Lee nee CURNOW South Australia burial location 1893
« on: Wednesday 02 August 23 07:59 BST (UK) »
I’m looking for the burial place/burial record of Ann Lee THOMAS nee CURNOW.
According to the database “Australia, Death Index, 1787-1985”,  Ann Lee THOMAS died 18 Feb 1893 at Mickies Flat, Curramulka, South Australia. 

Her son John THOMAS and his wife Frances MILLER lived in the Curramulka district in the 1880-90s. Their daughter Marion Eva? THOMAS died at Mickies Flat 10 Feb 1882. 

The obvious burial place would be the Curramulka cemetery but I can't find any records for Ann or Marion there.

Any suggestions as to where Ann Lee THOMAS nee CURNOW might be buried? Were people buried at a different cemetery in that period?

Offline cupoflife

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Australia
    • View Profile
Re: THOMAS Ann Lee nee CURNOW South Australia burial location 1893
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 02 August 23 14:00 BST (UK) »
CEMETERY: Curramulka Cemetery
PLOT DETAILS: SECTION: 14S ; Plot: 14
DECEASED FAMILY NAME: THOMAS
DECEASED FIRST NAMES: Ann Lee
DOD   03/02/1893

https://yorke.sa.gov.au/discover/local-history-and-heritage/cemetery-search/entry/6067189/

Offline barbatalice

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 03 August 23 05:41 BST (UK) »
Thank you so much!
This rounds off Ann Lee CURNOW’s story for me. She came to Australia from Cornwall in 1852 with her parents and two young sons. She lived on the goldfields at Bendigo where her husband John THOMAS died in 1857.  She then moved to Strathalbyn, South Australia and then to Yorke Peninsula. Ann died at the home of her son John THOMAS, his wife Frances MILLER and their many children at Mickie’s Flat, Curramulka.
😊

Offline garstonite

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
oakes,liverpool..neston..backford..poulton cum spittal(bebington)middlewich,cheshire......   sacht,helgoland  .......merrick,herefordshire adams,shropshire...tipping..ellis..  jones,garston,liverpool..hartley.dunham massey..barker. salford

Offline garstonite

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 03 August 23 08:38 BST (UK) »
just to let you know she married as CORNOW
Ann Lee Cornow
Event Type   Marriage
Event Date   1838
Event Place   Redruth, Cornwall, England
Registration District   Redruth
Page   274
Volume   9
Affiliate Line Number   76
Registration Quarter   Jul-Aug-Sep
Registration Year   1838 Spouse   John Thomas
oakes,liverpool..neston..backford..poulton cum spittal(bebington)middlewich,cheshire......   sacht,helgoland  .......merrick,herefordshire adams,shropshire...tipping..ellis..  jones,garston,liverpool..hartley.dunham massey..barker. salford

Offline barbatalice

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 03 August 23 11:41 BST (UK) »
Thanks garstonite, the tip on the surname CORNOW on the marriage registration is helpful. I don’t  know if this is a misspelling on the original marriage cert or a mistranscription by GRO.

The details you gave re the children are what I have. There was also an unnamed male THOMAS born Dec Q 1842 Redruth reg dist, mother CURNOW. I think he is the male THOMAS who died Dec Q 1842 Redruth reg district.

As far as I know Ann Lee CURNOW and John Thomas had no other recorded children. They were separated for 5 years 1848-52. John THOMAS arrived in Adelaide in Jan 1848 on the Success with his brothers Mauris and Nicholas and other family members. Ann did not arrive in Australia until Dec 1852 with her parents and 2 sons.

I don’t know what happened to Ann and John’s son William Alexander THOMAS after 1898. He was discharged from prison in Adelaide 13 Jun 1898, but then I lose track of him. 

Offline garstonite

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 03 August 23 16:16 BST (UK) »
Do you know what happened to Rosina Ann Thomas , as she wasn't on the ship to Australia ??   ADDED
apologies - just seen , she died aged 6