Author Topic: Chaplain to Isles of Scilly  (Read 187 times)

Offline Rann69

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Chaplain to Isles of Scilly
« on: Wednesday 02 August 23 09:31 BST (UK) »
A family member was Chaplain from 1870-1884. H e died November 1884 and is buried in St Marys. We know a lot about his life, marriage and death including assisting with the wreck of the Schiller in the 1870's

Anybody any idea if there are any photographs of him and where I might be able to get one? Thanks.

Db

Online arthurk

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Chaplain to Isles of Scilly
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 02 August 23 11:27 BST (UK) »
Have you tried the Isles of Scilly Museum - https://www.iosmuseum.org/

On a wet holiday there many years ago we spent more time in the museum than anywhere else, I think, with the help of a quiz for the children.

Unfortunately the building it was in has been condemned, and they've had to pack everything up ahead of a move to new premises, so it might be a case of them knowing what they have but not being able to get at it.

They might also be interested in anything you can tell them about your relative, as he would have been a significant figure in the islands.

ADDED:
Just found this site too: https://sites.rootsweb.com/~ricksmith61/scilly/index.html
Researching among others:
Bartle, Bilton, Bingley, Campbell, Craven, Emmott, Harcourt, Hirst, Kellet(t), Kennedy,
Meaburn, Mennile/Meynell, Metcalf(e), Palliser, Robinson, Rutter, Shipley, Stow, Wilkinson

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Rann69

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Chaplain to Isles of Scilly
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 02 August 23 11:40 BST (UK) »
Hello and thanks for your suggestions. I will try these.