Author Topic: City of London Union Workhouse Bromley - William Vanhackovens  (Read 362 times)

Offline Korowe

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
City of London Union Workhouse Bromley - William Vanhackovens
« on: Wednesday 02 August 23 12:31 BST (UK) »
Hello

I've posted previously about William Vanhackovens and his brother Thomas and I'm still trying to find any document which might verify their parents. All I currently have are Poor School Records that mention their father was in the workhouse and they were possibly from CornHill Parish. And for Thomas his marriage certificate mentions his fathers name is Thomas and a mariner. I did find a baptisim for a Thomas Van Hack Ovens (ie middle name Van Hack, surname Ovens) in 1816 and I believe he is the best candidate for their father. I just need to prove this but have not found baptisim records for William and Thomas.

I have a death certificate for William which says he died 27th May 1863, aged 20 in the City of London Union Workhouse Bromley. Cause of death was epillepsy.

First up, I thought Bromley was in Kent (I'm in Australia but have lived in London for a few years) so I'm just trying to understand if this City of London workhouse was actually situated outside of London.

Secondly, I'm trying to find any record of Williams admission to the Workhouse, I've not had much luck on Ancestry and have been researching all Williams who may have been admitted sometime between 1843 and 1863. Any suggestions on further research?

Many Thanks
Julie  :)

Offline jorose

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: City of London Union Workhouse Bromley - William Vanhackovens
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 02 August 23 12:43 BST (UK) »
As the death was registered in Bow district, his death most likely was in the parish of Bromley in Poplar, commonly known as Bromley-by-Bow. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bromley-by-Bow
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Korowe

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 02 August 23 12:52 BST (UK) »
As the death was registered in Bow district, his death most likely was in the parish of Bromley in Poplar, commonly known as Bromley-by-Bow. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bromley-by-Bow

Thank you! I know exactly where this is....I used to live in Limehouse :)

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 02 August 23 12:52 BST (UK) »
Link to earlier post to save duplication of information
https://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=867255.0
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline ciderdrinker

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 02 August 23 14:20 BST (UK) »
Hello
You've probably already seen this but going on Thomas seniors baptism to parents Ovens

William s of Thomas and Mary Ovens baptised 25 Feb 1844 born 30 Dec 1843 George Yard lab Whitechapel

The guy baptised in 1816 parents James and Margaret Ovens seems to be remarrying down in Hampshire 9.11.1863 to Mary Ann Lynham d of John at Newport. His father is given as James and he marries as Thomas Vanhack Ovens.

Children Margaret 19 Aug 1858 bapt 6 Sep 1858 ,Mary Ann Mar 1861 ,Joseph 7.7.1863,Frances Sep 1865 and Alfred Mar qtr 1868 Clifton Bristol.
Frances buried at St Phillips Bristol  4 Feb 1868 age 2 1/2 years of Brick St.

Not got a death for the first wife though and I haven't seen the second marriage to get his marital status or occupation.

Sorry I have nothing more.

Ciderdrinker

Offline jonw65

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 02 August 23 14:29 BST (UK) »
I have a death certificate for William which says he died 27th May 1863, aged 20 in the City of London Union Workhouse Bromley.

Buried 1 June 1863, City of London Cemetery
https://col-burialregisters.uk/archive/burial-registers-january-1860-to-december-1869/register-008/1064964

Offline Korowe

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 03 August 23 11:38 BST (UK) »
I have a death certificate for William which says he died 27th May 1863, aged 20 in the City of London Union Workhouse Bromley.

Buried 1 June 1863, City of London Cemetery
https://col-burialregisters.uk/archive/burial-registers-january-1860-to-december-1869/register-008/1064964

Thank you very much for this link, it will come in handy for further research.

Offline Korowe

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 03 August 23 11:42 BST (UK) »
Hello
You've probably already seen this but going on Thomas seniors baptism to parents Ovens

William s of Thomas and Mary Ovens baptised 25 Feb 1844 born 30 Dec 1843 George Yard lab Whitechapel

The guy baptised in 1816 parents James and Margaret Ovens seems to be remarrying down in Hampshire 9.11.1863 to Mary Ann Lynham d of John at Newport. His father is given as James and he marries as Thomas Vanhack Ovens.

Children Margaret 19 Aug 1858 bapt 6 Sep 1858 ,Mary Ann Mar 1861 ,Joseph 7.7.1863,Frances Sep 1865 and Alfred Mar qtr 1868 Clifton Bristol.
Frances buried at St Phillips Bristol  4 Feb 1868 age 2 1/2 years of Brick St.

Not got a death for the first wife though and I haven't seen the second marriage to get his marital status or occupation.

Sorry I have nothing more.

Ciderdrinker

Thank you very much, I do have this information so its good to confirm I am on the right track. I've been working with another DNA match and he has just overnight confirmed to me he has a DNA connection to a William Downer Ovens, son of James and Margaret Ovens and brother to Thomas Van Hack Ovens. So we now have confirmation he is the father. I don't believe Mary Ann Lynham is the mother of Thomas and William. They were married after William had died.

I have followed up that lead on the William son of Thomas and Mary Ovens baptised 25 Feb 1844, and I believe her name is Mary Dandy. But I still have no concrete evidence like a baptisim record for either William and Thomas. And I haven't been able to find them in the 1851 census. Both boys were at a Workhouse school in the 1861 census in Acton.