Author Topic: Stratton Audley Graves - Stockley  (Read 149 times)

Offline pegwill

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Stratton Audley Graves - Stockley
« on: Wednesday 02 August 23 13:42 BST (UK) »
Good Morning
I am trying to locate 2 graves in the hope the inscriptions will assist me in my research could you please point me in the right direction. I have tried 'Find A Grave'  but cannot find any information. Both graves I'm seeking are shown as being in Stratton Audley. This is another tack to try and find information about Richard and Mary neither are shown as being born/baptised in Stratton Audley.

1)   Mary Stockley who died in 4th Nov 1834, age 68, buried by D. Jackson Curate. This puts her date of birth as 1766.

2)   Richard Stockley who died in 1845 but was buried 4th Jan 1846, age 71 by John Russel, (???)  Minister. This puts his date of birth as 1774.

Many thanks

Regards

pegwill

Offline Milliepede

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Stratton Audley Graves - Stockley
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 02 August 23 15:39 BST (UK) »
Might it be best to contact that particular cemetery directly for information?

I would also point out that not all graves have headstones so keep that in mind.
Hinchliffe - Huddersfield Wiltshire
Burroughs - Arlingham Glos
Pick - Frocester Glos

Offline Milliepede

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 02 August 23 15:45 BST (UK) »
Was she Mary Cripps married 26 Aug 1798 Padbury Bucks?  If so perhaps that was her local birthplace.

This info from a family tree which has Richard born Stratton Audley 1775 parents Thomas & Elizabeth.
Hinchliffe - Huddersfield Wiltshire
Burroughs - Arlingham Glos
Pick - Frocester Glos

Offline pegwill

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 02 August 23 16:20 BST (UK) »
Hi miliiepede

At first I thought it was Mary Cripps and Richard Stockley but the DOBs do not work out. From the licence Mary was 24 years old making her DOB 1774 instead of the calculation from the death date of 1766. Richard's DOB is not included in the Licence brief from the BucksFHS. I'm aware that not all graves will have headstones and there is no guarantee that 'Find A Grave' has recorded them all anyway. Any idea who I might contact regarding the Grave? I have tried the Bicester FHS but am still waiting a reply.

I have tried unsuccessfully to trace Mary Cripps, Mary does not seem to come from Padbury, or at least I cant find her parents. At one time I assumed that Mary had been married before, but I couldn't track down any further information. I could buy the Allegation which costs 11.50 but I'm not sure that it contain any useful information, especially as there seems to be a discrepancy in the DOB's.

Regards

pegwill