Author Topic: Carrolls in Manchester  (Read 538 times)

Online heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Carrolls in Manchester
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 03 August 23 17:58 BST (UK) »
There are some Catholic indexes available and records then to purchase but you have to purchase CDRoms from the local society.
You may however, be able to find records through local archives.
I have to say, though, that results are disappointing.
https://mlfhs.uk/databases/catholic-records

Searching for Mark Carroll around the right time gives that name as Godfather to several children.

1850   Peter Keefe at Manchester, Cheetham Hill, St. Chad   
1855 John Carroll at Manchester, Cheetham Hill, St. Chad
1861   John Mylott at Manchester, St. Patrick, Livesey Street

Needless to say that finding civil/census records for these are difficult. It just would not be straight forward  ::)

I can’t see Peter Keefe but then found a marriage in 1844 for Andrew Keeffe and Mary A Fegan in 1844 here
https://www.lancashirebmd.org.uk/marriagesearch.php

Cross referencing the marriage on Catholic records they married at St Wilfred’s Hulme but that is the other side of the town to St Chad’s and St Patrick’s.
Not much help really  :-\
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Online heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 03 August 23 19:04 BST (UK) »
I have found a likely Peter Keeffe living in Cheshire in 1861 2588 /178/1
His mother seems to have married Peter Flood and her maiden name was Fox so no obvious connection to Mark Carroll.  :-\
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Runner55

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 04 August 23 06:39 BST (UK) »
Thank you for your notes Heywood - there may well be something there for me to follow up on with the baptisms and Mark Carroll's role as godfather ... hmm ... might be onto something there.

Much obliged!
Runner55

Offline wivenhoe

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 04 August 23 08:35 BST (UK) »

Ancestry Census England 1851  at 49 Camp Street Deansgate Manchester
SHENTON Samuel     29y   pattern warper                         b. Manchester Lancashire
SHENTON Ann          31y                                                 b. Bolton Lancashire
SHENTON Emma        5y                                                  b. Manchester
SHENTON Samuel       2y                                                  b. Manchester
POTTS      John M        7y                                                 b. Manchester
/
PREDAM Hannah   head   unmarried  33y   folder & sewer     b. Manchester
/
CARROLL Mark           24y   silk weaver                             b. Ireland
CARROLL Catherine    26y   power loom weaver                  b. Ireland
CARROLL John             5m                                                b. Manchester Lancashire
FEGAN Ann                62y  mother formerly  cook               b. Ireland
CUNDELL Mary           50y  lodger  wid   formerly servant    b. Ireland
CUNDELL Bearneard    21y  lodger  un  cork cutter             b. Ireland

Three households at this premises.
I read this to be Ann FEGAN, mother of head-of-house   Mark CARROLL

Offline Runner55

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 04 August 23 16:18 BST (UK) »
Hi wivenhoe, we've always thought this Ann Fegan was (Fegan/Fagan) Mark's wife Catherine Fagan's mother and the relationship 'mother' was being loosely interpreted as the matriarchal figure in the house. But, yes, could also feasibly be Mark's mother who'd remarried and changed her name.

The plot thickens. Lots to think about there.

Runner55

Offline california dreamin

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 15 August 23 16:29 BST (UK) »
Hi Runner 55

The earlier of the Catholic churches in Manchester was the 'Hidden Gem' aka St. Mary Mulberry Street. So this is always a good place to start to look for Catholic ancestors in Manchester.

If you are having trouble locating them in terms of their profession as silk weavers personally I would be directing you towards Macclesfield and Stockport which were silk weaving towns.

CD

Offline emmsthheight

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 07 November 23 06:25 GMT (UK) »
Hi

It’s nice to meet someone else having fun with these lovely Landscapes Irish families!

My grandmother and her Irish family ended up in Salford and Manchester.

However it became clear that they did not come to Salford first,
The Roman Catholic Church they used first only had records from a couple of years after they came

For possibly this reason and others especially family they were still having  baptisms and marriages in Ireland
I found a group of families who appeared as witnesses on those RC baptisms and marriages and many of them turned out to be related

The same group including some Carroll’s repeatedly turned up together having baptisms in Ireland

You may be able to pursue similar avenues

In my case my first discovery was that my ggrandmother Anastasia Hoey was born in Heywood. Her parents were married in Bury C ofE. I found some children but not all baptised in Heywood RC. Also many godparents including Carroll’s.

They then went to Salford but the missing baptisms remained a mystery.

Eventually knowing her father John Hoey was born in Dublin  with the help of the net I found two missing baptisms at St Michael Dublin. complete with referrals to the mother of HeywoodUK.

To my surprise there were also other events to other Hoeys and people related to them   

I’ve also found links before that. Including cousins/ aunts from Dundalk and possible links to a group of Hoeys around Castlebellingham. I’m still chipping away. Like you many went to America.

The best Irish links were Irish genealogy, the big sites such as Ancestry and good old Rootschat

Just a few ideas. Is it worth trying Heywood?  Latest Irish records? Back to Ireland?  Some of my best clues were from looking at the whole group of Hoey saddlers and the godparents

Also a kind person checked the slow led 1851 census for Salford and that’s where I got my Dundalk and Cassidy link from

I hope you see an Avenue here you haven’t tried

Sorry it’s a bit rambled but you so want to give any one bogged down with these lovely people!

Good luck

Emms ??? ;)
Hoey : Louth, Dublin, Lancashire,
Diggle: Pendleton Lancashire,
Stickley: Dorset, Lancashire
Bockmann, Boedemann etc Artist, Europe and London

English Merchants in Brazil and Portugal especially Carruthers family

1st Battalion Connaught rangers WW1

Website:  Look  out for new website coming soon to replace Fells and Seas