Author Topic: Death Confirmation help pls Thomas Hesketh  (Read 263 times)

Offline Jayhen6

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Death Confirmation help pls Thomas Hesketh
« on: Wednesday 02 August 23 20:37 BST (UK) »
Looking for any help regarding the confirmation/corroborating evidence re the death of Thomas Hesketh born circa 1784 in Atherton, Lancashire. He was the father of Thomas Manley Hesketh who became a wealthy master cotton spinner and Mill owner in Bolton during the Industrial Revolution. I found that in 1806 Thomas age 22 was recorded as a ‘Gentlemen’ when he married Betty Manley. He then became a grocer and moved to Bolton with Betty where they had several children including Thomas Manley (born in 1813). By 1828 Betty was a widow and she married a John Stones in Bolton. This prompted me to try and find out what happened to Thomas her first husband. I found a burial (Lan OPC) in 1820 of a Thomas Hesketh age 36 yrs at Peel Chapel in Little Hulton (near Bolton) but there is insufficient information on that record to confirm its Thomas. The age fits but that’s not conclusive. Would really appreciate if anyone can unearth a record with more information. Thanks in advance.. Jayhen
Daubney's of Lincoln:-:Fox's of Ringley:-:Norris's of Chorley:-:Tong's of Bolton:-:Chadwick's of Leeds

Offline Little Nell

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Death Confirmation help pls Thomas Hesketh
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 02 August 23 21:25 BST (UK) »
There is an administration for Thomas Hesketh, shopkeeper of Bolton, granted 16 Feb 1821 to his widow Betty Hesketh.  See here:

https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:S3HT-D1Q7-DZ6?i=124&cat=126866

It says that Thomas died 27 September 1820 - would that work for the burial record?

Nell
All census information: Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Jayhen6

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 03 August 23 07:56 BST (UK) »
There is an administration for Thomas Hesketh, shopkeeper of Bolton, granted 16 Feb 1821 to his widow Betty Hesketh.  See here:

https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:S3HT-D1Q7-DZ6?i=124&cat=126866

It says that Thomas died 27 September 1820 - would that work for the burial record?

Nell

Hi, there. That’s great and yes that is surely him, albeit the burial record states he was buried on 27 Sep 1820. Many thanks for your help. Jayhen
Daubney's of Lincoln:-:Fox's of Ringley:-:Norris's of Chorley:-:Tong's of Bolton:-:Chadwick's of Leeds

Offline Susan Blackstone

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 03 August 23 09:28 BST (UK) »
Hi Jayhen6, I was interested in reading your post on Thomas Hesketh.  I too researched this family particularly John Stones the second husband of Betty Hesketh.  There was quite an age gap, Betty was older by 20 years. I lived in Astley Bridge, Bolton as a child and Hesketh Mill dominated the landscape.  The family lived in Astley Bank and both John and Betty were buried in St Paul's Church Astley Bridge.  John was buried 23/02/1859 aged 55 and Betty 11/12/1858 aged 75.  If you look on the Bolton section of the Rootsweb site there are photographs of family members.

Offline Jayhen6

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 03 August 23 11:33 BST (UK) »
Hi, thanks for the information I’ll take a look as I’m researching the Hesketh family in Bolton.

Regards Jayhen

Offline Jayhen6

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 03 August 23 11:35 BST (UK) »
Hi Jayhen6, I was interested in reading your post on Thomas Hesketh.  I too researched this family particularly John Stones the second husband of Betty Hesketh.  There was quite an age gap, Betty was older by 20 years. I lived in Astley Bridge, Bolton as a child and Hesketh Mill dominated the landscape.  The family lived in Astley Bank and both John and Betty were buried in St Paul's Church Astley Bridge.  John was buried 23/02/1859 aged 55 and Betty 11/12/1858 aged 75.  If you look on the Bolton section of the Rootsweb site there are photographs of family members.

Thanks. I’m not familiar with Rootsweb, do you have to register etc? Regards Jayhen