Author Topic: Woods Maghera 1922  (Read 313 times)

Offline Summer18

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Woods Maghera 1922
« on: Wednesday 02 August 23 22:17 BST (UK) »
On behalf of a friend of mine I am seeking information by way of newspaper report into the tragic death in a fire of Mary Catherine Woods in Maghera early November 1922.

I believe that the inquest into her death was early December 1922 but I am seeking to find the possible newspaper report of that time into the inquest

Thanks for any information

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Woods Maghera 1922
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 02 August 23 23:40 BST (UK) »
On behalf of a friend of mine I am seeking information by way of newspaper report into the tragic death in a fire of Mary Catherine Woods in Maghera early November 1922.

I believe that the inquest into her death was early December 1922 but I am seeking to find the possible newspaper report of that time into the inquest

Thanks for any information

Where did this information come from? It would be unusual to have such a gap between the death and the inquest. Maghera comes under Magherafelt registration district but I can't see a matching death in PRONI's database.

An Annie Woods died 30 Nov.1922 age 8 months (strange because index usually just gives age as '0' indicating deceased was under one year old) but you haven't given any indication of age.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Online scotmum

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • A tree full of life, a life full of branches!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 02 August 23 23:56 BST (UK) »
Closest I'm seeing at moment was a death by burning followed by inquest next day, of a Mary Woods, but in Bessbrook and January 1925. Oddly, I am not finding this death on GRONI index though.
"Trees without roots fall over!"

""People who never look backward to their ancestors will never look forward to posterity." - Edmund Burke

Don't just wait for the storm to pass, learn to dance in the rain.

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Be curious and however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at.”  Stephen Hawking

In a world where you can be anything, be kind .

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 03 August 23 00:01 BST (UK) »
The only death in 1922 in Maghera sub-district (Magherafelt district) is for the infant Annie Woods I mentioned earlier. It's possible she died elsewhere (hospital perhaps) but nothing matches in an N.I. county.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 03 August 23 09:13 BST (UK) »
Closest I'm seeing at moment was a death by burning followed by inquest next day, of a Mary Woods, but in Bessbrook and January 1925. Oddly, I am not finding this death on GRONI index though.

This might be the death for 'Mary' Woods- Bessbrook in Newry registration district-
D/1925/184/1023/7/499   Minnie   Woods   26th January 1925   45      Female   Newry

Online scotmum

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 03 August 23 09:44 BST (UK) »
Just checked newspaper again and that works datewise. Newspaper was printed 28th, referred to inquest previous afternoon, 27th and inquest report referred to the death as previous evening, so 26th.

Summer18, given the surname and nature of death, could this be the one your friend is looking for information on? Are you certain of Maghera being the place and 192 the year, for the Mary Woods your friend has provided details to you of?

If it helps, the Mary who died in 1925, had a son, John and a sister, Harriet.

""People who never look backward to their ancestors will never look forward to posterity." - Edmund Burke

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Be curious and however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at.”  Stephen Hawking

Online scotmum

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 03 August 23 16:03 BST (UK) »
The 1922 Annie Woods death, seems to fit with this birth:

U/1922/181/1022/28/371   Annie   Woods   28th February 1922   Female   Bradley   Magherafelt(pre-1973 Q4)

and so this marriage:

ELIZABETH BRADLEY and JOHN WOODS
on 10 June 1920

Elizabeth/Lizzie was a minor at the time.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 03 August 23 16:19 BST (UK) »
I would draw your attention to the fact that the child's name is listed as ANNIE (not Mary Catherine as in your PM) in the death, and apparently, as scotmum found, in the birth registration.