Author Topic: Margaret Dunn who are the real parents ?  (Read 425 times)

Offline SOFEE

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Margaret Dunn who are the real parents ?
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 03 August 23 17:06 BST (UK) »
Scotmum &  Kiltaglassan

Thanks for that " in the midst of winters" it was very interesting and Yes you could be right that could definitely say dr Winter on the census extract I saw "Agher," was mentioned and i did see that scribbled on the census too...so you could have connected soe of the dots so to speak  ;D
thanks again for taking the time to research and reply its appreciated

Sofee
Caithness/Sutherland;-Mackay/Mckay, Manson, Scott, Fraser,
Ayrshire;-Hood, McCrone, McCallum, Dunlop
Dundee;-O'Fee
Co Antrim;- O'Fee, Marks
Glenbervie,Kincardine;-Officer

Offline Kiltaglassan

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Seven Sisters mountain range in Co Donegal
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 03 August 23 17:18 BST (UK) »

Here's Agher House (and church) on the OSi National Townland and Historical Map Viewer (MapGenie 25 Inch in Basemap Gallery).

https://arcg.is/1nvOre0

Researching: Cuthbertson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Australia; Hunter – Co. Derry; Jackson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Canada; Scott – Co. Derry; Neilly – Co. Antrim & USA; McCurdy – Co. Antrim; Nixon – Co. Cavan, Co. Donegal, Canada & USA; Ryan & Noble – Co. Sligo

Offline Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 03 August 23 19:41 BST (UK) »
If her parents were dead by the time of her first marriage images of their death certs (if they were registered) aren’t online yet.

I’m not having any luck with the newspapers or Will calendars,
It’s very odd that the names change in 1876 and then go back again in 1920, clearly she was using the second set of names enough that the informant of her death knew them.

People do change their names but it’s usually the surname what possibly reason could a married woman have for changing her maiden name.

I do have a family where the married daughters change their maiden name when they move away from the home area but they are changing it back to the family’s original surname.

Offline Wexflyer

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Not Crown Copyright
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 03 August 23 21:28 BST (UK) »
Some points

A great-grandfather of mine was described as both a gardener and steward, so I see no conflict between the two descriptions.

The 1920 document was indeed required for pension purposes. As your g-grandmother was seeking to obtain an old-age pension, and needed documentary evidence from the census to substantiate this, I would tend to think that the parental details given on this form are correct.

Which then brings up the following point. Why the very, very different details on the second marriage? Different for both parents. For one parent I can well believe in a simple mistake - I have seen mistakes on multiple marriage certs, But mistakes for both parents? The thought that leaps to my mind is bigamy. Do you know if the first husband was dead?
BRENNANx2 Davidstown/Taghmon,Ballybrennan; COOPER St.Helens;CREAN Raheennaskeagh/Ballywalter;COSGRAVE Castlebridge?;CULLEN Lady's Island;CULLETON Forth Commons;CURRAN Hillbrook, Wic;DOYLE Clonee/Tombrack;FOX Knockbrandon; FURLONG Moortown;HAYESx2 Walsheslough/Wex;McGILL Litter;MORRIS Forth Commons;PIERCE Ladys Island;POTTS Bennettstown;REDMOND Gerry; ROCHEx2 Wex; ROCHFORD Ballysampson/Ballyhit;SHERIDAN Moneydurtlow; SINNOTT Wex;SMYTH Gerry/Oulart;WALSH Kilrane/Wex; WHITE Tagoat area

Offline SOFEE

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 03 August 23 21:55 BST (UK) »
Wexflyer

Yes Margaret's first husband was tragically killed in a shipbuilding accident at work in Glasgow 1875.

I was wondering if there was the possibility of Margarets parents on the census died when she was just a young child and taken in by family or whoever John Dunne and Margaret Elliot were...I haven't managed to find records on them to see if further census records etc mention Margaret staying with them. and perhaps she thought of them as her parents as they looked after her??? just a thought

Caithness/Sutherland;-Mackay/Mckay, Manson, Scott, Fraser,
Ayrshire;-Hood, McCrone, McCallum, Dunlop
Dundee;-O'Fee
Co Antrim;- O'Fee, Marks
Glenbervie,Kincardine;-Officer

Online Dundee

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 03 August 23 22:19 BST (UK) »
Both marriages note the mother as deceased, neither show the father as being deceased.

Debra  :)