Author Topic: 20% Scottish DNA but no sign of Scottish relatives!  (Read 875 times)

Offline Edith reeve

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
20% Scottish DNA but no sign of Scottish relatives!
« on: Thursday 03 August 23 16:54 BST (UK) »
I am baffled! I have 20% Scottish DNA which is a pretty big chunk!
Yet I can find no Scottish relatives at all! Starting to doubt the validity and accuracy of these tests.
 ::)
Lloyd/Foreman/Morris family research
Anglesey
Widnes
Manchester
Canada
Germany
Eastern Europe

Offline farmeroman

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: 20% Scottish DNA but no sign of Scottish relatives!
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 03 August 23 16:56 BST (UK) »
Is this on MyHeritage?

Offline Edith reeve

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 03 August 23 17:09 BST (UK) »
On Ancestry
I have just gone onto heritage to check on there and it says no scottish at all. Very different results.

Ancestry                                                               Heritage
English & Northern and western Europe 31              English 13.4
                                                                           Northern and western Europe 78.2                                                                                                                                                                                   
Welsh 16                                                               Welsh 0
Eastern Europe Ashkenazi Jewish 16                       Ashkenazi Jewish 5.7
                                                                           Eastern Europe 2.7
Scottish 20                                                           Scottish 0
Lloyd/Foreman/Morris family research
Anglesey
Widnes
Manchester
Canada
Germany
Eastern Europe

Offline KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 03 August 23 17:57 BST (UK) »
You've been seduced by ethnicity ESTIMATES ;)
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline phil57

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 04 August 23 08:52 BST (UK) »
Have you read the information about your Scots ethnicity ESTIMATE on Ancestry?

Follow the link to "Surprised by your Scotland result?"

I can't post it here, as the page that I see is linked to my own DNA test. I have a Scottish ethnicity
estimate too. In my case, the probability given covers a range from 0% to 23% - e.g. I may not actually have any Scottish ethnicity at all. I have no Scottish ancestors in my known ancestral lines, but my direct ancestors over the last 300-400 years are all English or Welsh (see below) and some of them likely immigrants from Scandinavia and France a long time ago.

But a suggested ethnicity to a region doesn't mean that you have recent (or any) ancestors from that region. It means that segments in your DNA closely match those commonly found in Ancestry's reference panel for that region. The same people who migrated into Scotland thousands of years ago also settled in other areas, and Ancestry say that as a result, what they term "Scottish Ethnicity" can also be found in people from The Channel Islands, England, Faroe Islands, France, Isle of Man, Luxembourg and Northern Ireland, who have no direct ancestral connection to Scotland.

Are you and some of your ancestral lines from England?

Different testing companies use different reference populations for ethnicity ESTIMATES and they define their own regions, which may differ in geographical location.

The term "Ethnicity Estimates" is also a clue to their accuracy. The percentage you are given is a probability, not a fact.
Stokes - London and Essex
Hodges - Somerset
Murden - Notts
Humphries/Humphreys from Montgomeryshire

Offline aspin

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • What a Lad What a miss
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 04 August 23 09:06 BST (UK) »
Have you tried clicking on your Matches you might find a relative there
Elizabeth
McKenzie,Helmsdale.,Mackay's,Gordon's,Polsons,Sutherland's,Loth & N/Z .Watson ,Munro,Pitsligo.Black. Harle ,East Hollywell.Black,and Short East Hollywell.Northumberland Gair, Amble,Douglas,Amble,Mitchell ,Fettercairns,Lyall, Brechin .Mearns Brechin.Thompson's ,Spittal. Maghie,Young .Raey Cumberland & Newcastle & Glasgow .Gilroy, Northumberland. Stark's Kyloe & Tweedmouth .Skeen's Tweedmouth.Gregsons Northumberland & America. Andrew Farmer Turnbull Berwick , Pool and Black Hull.Lounton Tweedmouth

Offline melba_schmelba

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 04 August 23 12:44 BST (UK) »
I am baffled! I have 20% Scottish DNA which is a pretty big chunk!
Yet I can find no Scottish relatives at all! Starting to doubt the validity and accuracy of these tests.
 ::)
Have you searched your matches' trees for Scotland? There might be part of your tree you don't know about, or a NPE event. If you inherited DNA unevenly it could also be some way back i.e. great great or great great great grandparent.