Author Topic: Fathers on parish marriage registers - deceased or alive?  (Read 302 times)

Offline Kate-Birchtree

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Fathers on parish marriage registers - deceased or alive?
« on: Friday 04 August 23 01:59 BST (UK) »
Hi all

Apologies if this is an obvious question, but I'm wondering: in the 1800s (particularly the mid-to-late 1800's), would parish marriage registers consistently specify whether a bride or groom's father was deceased or alive at the time of the marriage?

Or is the answer actually that it's just a lucky dip of "whatever the church felt like recording at the time"?  ;D

In case it's useful to know, I'm referring to an ancestor whose marriage occurred at St Giles without Cripplegate in London, but this question is really intended as a broader query about how these records were "typically" handled (if such a thing!)

Context:
I have an ancestor whose name and occupation is recorded on their child's parish marriage record in 1858. I'm trying to sleuth whether they passed away before or after this. Based on the marriage record alone, I initially assumed he was still alive at that stage (as there was another child's marriage record, which occurred about ten years later, specifying the father as "deceased").

However, I'm not so sure now - this record is possibly at odds with other records I've found, swaying me to wonder whether he passed away before 1858 after all.
Adair, Ager, Anderson, Angel, Ayles, Badenoch, Bampton, Bannister, Bedell/Beadle/Beadel, Beresford, Bird, Blaesing, Brown, Butterworth, Clements, Eaton, Elston, Finn, Frith, Green, Groom, Hales, Hance, Heudebourck, Hollis, Maple, Menzel, Nancarrow, Noble, Oakley, Peed, Porter, Prior, Roberts, Sands, Scarlet(t), Sharples, Smith, Stickles/Stickells, Stokes, Sur(r)idge, Thurston, Tiver, Tulloch, Wade, Weeden, Wood, Young

Offline mckha489

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Fathers on parish marriage registers - deceased or alive?
« Reply #1 on: Friday 04 August 23 06:35 BST (UK) »
I would have to say it is a bit of a lucky dip.

Of course prior to September qtr 1837 you don’t get the fathers names at all.

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 04 August 23 06:45 BST (UK) »
It depends whether the question was asked if the Fathers were deceased.
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Cummins, Miskelly(IRELAND + NZ) ,Leggett (SFK + NFK ENGLAND + NZ),Purdy ( NBL ENGLAND + NZ ), Shaw YKS, LANCs + NZ), Holdsworth(LINCS +LANCS + NZ), Moloney, Dean, Fitzpatrick, ( County Down,IRE) Newby(NBL.ENG, Costello(IRE), Ivers, Murray(IRE),Reay(NBL.ENG) Reid (BERW.SCOTLAND)

Offline wivenhoe

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 04 August 23 07:19 BST (UK) »

The register was not formatted to indicate that father should be recorded as "dec".

If it was included I suspect that it was information just volunteered, or asked of by the minister.

Either way, I think that other marriages on the register page might give a clue.

If your couple gave no indication of fathers being deceased, and they are looking at previous marriage records that do show a father to be deceased, you might think that would prompt an interest to include "deceased" if that applied.

Offline Jebber

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 04 August 23 09:12 BST (UK) »
To add to what has previously been said. You should not accept as fact everything you read on certificates without confirmation from other sources.

Some people were less than truthful and gave false information, naming fictitious fathers, false ages, or declaring they are bachelor or spinster  when they  already have a living spouse. Giving a false name is something else that happens, I have come access examples of all the above.
CHOULES All ,  COKER Harwich Essex & Rochester Kent 
COLE Gt. Oakley, & Lt. Oakley, Essex.
DUNCAN Kent
EVERITT Colchester,  Dovercourt & Harwich Essex
GULLIVER/GULLOFER Fifehead Magdalen Dorset
HORSCROFT Kent.
KING Sturminster Newton, Dorset. MONK Odiham Ham.
SCOTT Wrabness, Essex
WILKINS Stour Provost, Dorset.
WICKHAM All in North Essex.
WICKHAM Medway Towns, Kent from 1880
WICKHAM, Ipswich, Suffolk.

Offline Kate-Birchtree

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 04 August 23 09:18 BST (UK) »
Thanks all for your input - appreciate it!

To add to what has previously been said. You should not accept as fact everything you read on certificates without confirmation from other sources.

Absolutely agree. I try to use these types of "facts" as clues or at least jumping-off points. I've already found so many records or facts that I've either considered or excluded, only to do a 180 later because of inaccuracies in the source.
Adair, Ager, Anderson, Angel, Ayles, Badenoch, Bampton, Bannister, Bedell/Beadle/Beadel, Beresford, Bird, Blaesing, Brown, Butterworth, Clements, Eaton, Elston, Finn, Frith, Green, Groom, Hales, Hance, Heudebourck, Hollis, Maple, Menzel, Nancarrow, Noble, Oakley, Peed, Porter, Prior, Roberts, Sands, Scarlet(t), Sharples, Smith, Stickles/Stickells, Stokes, Sur(r)idge, Thurston, Tiver, Tulloch, Wade, Weeden, Wood, Young