Author Topic: Thomas Moorhouse Sheffield area b 1839  (Read 956 times)

Offline smithkei

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Thomas Moorhouse Sheffield area b 1839
« on: Friday 04 August 23 09:24 BST (UK) »
Trying to pin down the correct GRO record so I can get the digital image to confirm address and mother and father.

I have

1 Baptism in Sheffield 1839 from FindMyPast, George and Mary DOB 29.3.1839
2 What I believe is an incorrect GRO with DOB 30.1. 1839 to Joseph and Mary(Hunter)
3 His second marriage 1882 to Abigail Raynes in Sheffield, father George
4 His first marriage was 1860 to Mary Ann Spencer who subsequently died . I have no cert for that
5 1841 census age 2 in Ecclesfield parents George and Mary
6 1851 census age 12 in Dronfield, Father remarried. Occupations and children match.

Any help in finding the correct GRO appreciated. This is a complicated area for registrations. Sheffield also included Ecclesall Bierlow and this are of North Sheffield at times came under Wortley and Ecclesfield.

Offline ColC

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Thomas Moorhouse Sheffield area b 1839
« Reply #1 on: Friday 04 August 23 09:51 BST (UK) »
You may have seen this baptism on family search?

Thomas Morehouse - Baptism 5 May 1839
Cathedral Church of St Peter and St Paul Sheffield, Sheffield, Yorkshire, England
Parents George, Mary

MOORHOUSE, THOMAS       HUNTER 
GRO Reference: 1839  M Quarter in SHEFFIELD  Volume 22  Page 509

Mr Moorhouse
Groom
British Newspaper Archive, Family Notices
Marriage Notice 8 October 1831
York, Yorkshire, England, United Kingdom
Marriage 4 October 1831 
Spouse Miss Hunter

Colin
Clarke, Trickett, Orton, Lawless, Norton, Detheridge, Kirby, Goodfellow, Wagstaff, Lowe, etc.

Offline smithkei

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 04 August 23 10:01 BST (UK) »
Thanks Colin, the father in that GRO is Joseph. I have the cert, so it doesnt match the baptism or census (George)

Im confident of the baptism 5th May and have it already. Father George is a grinder which matches his future occupations. Its the GRO linked that that baptism I need

Online hanes teulu

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 04 August 23 10:25 BST (UK) »
There's the 1833 birth/baptism of Charles Morehouse, father George, occpn grinder, mother Mary. Spelling of Morehouse consistent with 1839 birth/baptism of Thomas.

There is a marriage, 21 Nov 1830, for a George Moorhouse and Mary Birkinshaw - alternative spelling of surname..

All 3 events took place Cathedral Church of St Peter and St Paul.

Added - Mary Moorhouse also baptised 1836 St Peter and St Paul.

Offline dobfarm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Scarcliffe village Derbyshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 05 August 23 01:02 BST (UK) »
Hi  smithkei

£7 route

You Say

Trying to pin down the correct GRO record so I can get the digital image to confirm address and mother and father.

" I have

2 What I believe is an incorrect GRO with DOB 30.1. 1839 to Joseph and Mary(Hunter)"
~~~~~~~~-------------------------------

£11 route

Apply direct from Sheffield Register Office

Thing is if you apply direct from the register office in Sheffield  for £11 certificate cost ([for a cost od a bus ticket]  only £4 more than the digital image)

They ask you to  fill in a form in asking what you know about the birth like an address of birth place, date of birth, possible father and mothers full maiden name and if only possible names plus other questions.

Only if these questions fit will they advise you to buy a certifcate

Sheffield Register Office
Address:
Town Hall Pinstone St, Sheffield, South Yorkshire England, S1 2HH
Phone:

0114 203 9427
www.sheffield.gov.uk/registeroffice

Saturday   Closed
Sunday   Closed
Monday   
08:45 - 17:15
Tuesday   
Wednesday   
Thursday   
Friday   
08:45 - 16:45

~~~~~~~~--------------------

What is your ancestral link back to Thomas Moorhouse born 1839 in the  Sheffield area.

The reason I ask is - if its a direct ? child of ? Thomas Moorhouse - won't that known (or if confirmed proven  link)  childs birth certificate have the name of its father and mother with her maiden surname on it.

If you can give Rootschat members (Plus others) above already partaking in the thread as much info you can about your link to Thomas and what info you  know about him will give them something to work from with their look up vast resources - more than asking direct question with limited info.
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Any transcription of information does not identify or prove anything.
Intended as a Guide only in ancestry research.-It is up to the reader as to any Judgment of assessments of information given! to check from original sources.

In my opinion the marriage residence is not always the place of birth. Never forget Workhouse and overseers accounts records of birth

Online mckha489

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 05 August 23 03:31 BST (UK) »

4 His first marriage was 1860 to Mary Ann Spencer

Image is on FindMyPast.  Father = George, a grinder
(Thomas is a sheep shear maker Age 21)

Not everyone registered their children properly in the early years of registration. Perhaps George & Mary were of that group.

Online hanes teulu

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 05 August 23 08:43 BST (UK) »
Civil registration in its infancy at that time. Every likelihood that it was overlooked/ignored.

Offline smithkei

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 05 August 23 13:53 BST (UK) »
Hi  smithkei

£7 route

You Say

" I have

2 What I believe is an incorrect GRO with DOB 30.1. 1839 to Joseph and Mary(Hunter)"
~~~~~~~~-------------------------------

£11 route

Apply direct from Sheffield Register Office

Thing is if you apply direct from the register office in Sheffield  for £11 certificate cost ([for a cost od a bus ticket]  only £4 more than the digital image)

They ask you to  fill in a form in asking what you know about the birth like an address of birth place, date of birth, possible father and mothers full maiden name and if only possible names plus other questions.

Only if these questions fit will they advise you to buy a certifcate

Sheffield Register Office
Address:
Town Hall Pinstone St, Sheffield, South Yorkshire England, S1 2HH
Phone:

0114 203 9427
www.sheffield.gov.uk/registeroffice

Saturday   Closed
Sunday   Closed
Monday   
Tuesday   
Wednesday   
Thursday   
Friday   
08:45 - 16:45

~~~~~~~~--------------------

What is your ancestral link back to Thomas Moorhouse born 1839 in the  Sheffield area.

The reason I ask is - if its a direct ? child of ? Thomas Moorhouse - won't that known (or if confirmed proven  link)  childs birth certificate have the name of its father and mother with her maiden surname on it.

If you can give Rootschat members (Plus others) above already partaking in the thread as much info you can about your link to Thomas and what info you  know about him will give them something to work from with their look up vast resources - more than asking direct question with limited info.

Thanks Im an experienced researcher so I know how to get a birth certificate or copy of one. I live in Spain so visiting the registration office in Sheffield is more than a bus fare. As you know the GRO now have online digital images for 2.50 but obviously I need details of the registration and it is that I cannot find. You wanted more detail so here you go
1 Thomas Moorhouse 1839-1908 is my 2nd Great Grandfather. His daughter Charlotte ( 1866-1938) married my Great Grandfather Harry Smith in Sheffield.
2 I believe the parents of Thomas were George Moorhouse(1803-1855) and Mary Burkinshaw(1807-1841). Evidence is the baptism in Sheffield 5th May 1839 with a DOB of 29 March, parents George and Mary, and his wedding July 1882 to Abigail Raynes, father George. The GRO that many trees cite is mother Mary Ann Hunter, who married a Joseph Moorhouse not George.
3 George and Mary had other children Charles 1833-45, William 1854-35, Mary 1836, George 1841-
4 I have all his census records
1841 in Ecclesfield parish(which matches the Wadsley birth he puts on his later census), age 2 with parents and Charles and Mary
1851 family have moved to Dronfield Derbys, his father remarried, Mary age 14 , Thomas 12
1861 He is married to Mary Ann Spencer and lives in Sheffield, son George 7 months
1871 born Wadsley. George 10, Mary 6, Charlotte 4, Thomas 9 months
1881 Widower. mary Ann died 1876. Born Wadsley. Mary 16, Charlotte 14, Thomas 10, John 7
1891 He has married Abigail Raynes (July 1882) lives in Sheffield with her, some of her children and Clara aged 6 their own child
1901 Lives in Sheffield with wife, her daughter Matilda Stacey.

Died in Sheffield 22 Dec 1908 (UK Find a Grave and Q4 1908 Ecclesall Bierlow 9c 295). Aged 69

I just need his birth registration so I can be 100% sure about his mother Mary Burkinshaw. I have searched high and low with all combinations of Moorhouse and Burkinshaw.

Offline dobfarm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Scarcliffe village Derbyshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 05 August 23 22:05 BST (UK) »
I've been doing Ancestry and Genealogy over 40 years and consider myself not an experienced researcher but just keep plodding on.  :) ;D

Charlotte's b 1866 dad & mum's (Spencer) marriage 1860 will give you an address, Thomas's  known fathers name and his dads occupation 100% fact  Being either George or Joseph > (wife Hunter you think)

Marriages Mar 1860

Moorhouse    Thomas        Sheffield    9c   381
Spencer              May Ann           Sheffield    9c   381

All I can say is see the original index written at the time of the birth March Quarter 1839

https://www.freebmd.org.uk/cgi/information.pl?scan=1&r=1659971:4275&d=bmd_1689976433

Buying the lower price image of the Hunter mothers maiden name  Thomas Moorhouse birth

for elimination only or peace of mind or the certificate is the right Thomas your after.

GRO Reference: 1839  M Quarter in SHEFFIELD  Volume 22  Page 509 Mother maiden name Hunter

Freebmd

Births Mar 1839

Moorhouse    Thomas        Sheffield   vol 22   page 509

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Any transcription of information does not identify or prove anything.
Intended as a Guide only in ancestry research.-It is up to the reader as to any Judgment of assessments of information given! to check from original sources.

In my opinion the marriage residence is not always the place of birth. Never forget Workhouse and overseers accounts records of birth