Author Topic: Thomas Moorhouse Sheffield area b 1839  (Read 953 times)

Online Dundee

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Thomas Moorhouse Sheffield area b 1839
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 06 August 23 03:20 BST (UK) »

Buying the lower price image of the Hunter mothers maiden name  Thomas Moorhouse birth

for elimination only or peace of mind or the certificate is the right Thomas your after.

GRO Reference: 1839  M Quarter in SHEFFIELD  Volume 22  Page 509 Mother maiden name Hunter

Freebmd

Births Mar 1839

Moorhouse    Thomas        Sheffield   vol 22   page 509

The OP has stated that they already have that birth certificate and the father's name is Joseph.  Joseph and his family, including son Thomas can be found in 1851/1861.

Debra  :)

Offline smithkei

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 06 August 23 06:54 BST (UK) »
I've been doing Ancestry and Genealogy over 40 years and consider myself not an experienced researcher but just keep plodding on.  :) ;D

Charlotte's b 1866 dad & mum's (Spencer) marriage 1860 will give you an address, Thomas's  known fathers name and his dads occupation 100% fact  Being either George or Joseph > (wife Hunter you think)

Marriages Mar 1860

Moorhouse    Thomas        Sheffield    9c   381
Spencer              May Ann           Sheffield    9c   381

All I can say is see the original index written at the time of the birth March Quarter 1839

https://www.freebmd.org.uk/cgi/information.pl?scan=1&r=1659971:4275&d=bmd_1689976433

Buying the lower price image of the Hunter mothers maiden name  Thomas Moorhouse birth

for elimination only or peace of mind or the certificate is the right Thomas your after.

GRO Reference: 1839  M Quarter in SHEFFIELD  Volume 22  Page 509 Mother maiden name Hunter

Freebmd

Births Mar 1839

Moorhouse    Thomas        Sheffield   vol 22   page 509

Thanks. I did say in the OP that the Hunter GRO is wrong. For a long time I thought it was correct. The father is JOSEPH, his occupation is table knife hafter. The marriages of Thomas then show his father to be GEORGE a razor grinder. So different name, different occupation and different part of Sheffield(Wasdsley v Sheffield Park). I did in fact trace the Hunter family on census and its a totally different family.

Im drawing a line under this. Thanks to those who have replied. As others have suggested they either didnt register or it is buried deep in GRO records under the wrong name.

Offline dobfarm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Scarcliffe village Derbyshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 07 August 23 03:38 BST (UK) »

4 His first marriage was 1860 to Mary Ann Spencer

Image is on FindMyPast.  Father = George, a grinder
(Thomas is a sheep shear maker Age 21)

Not everyone registered their children properly in the early years of registration. Perhaps George & Mary were of that group.

You said you wanted 100% certainty confirmation

Though  your post 1 OP indicated you had information about 1839 birth (Mother Hunter) containing this Thomas  -DOB 30.1. 1839 it does not actually  say you have obtained this birth certificate March Qtr 1939

You got what you accept is your Thomas Moorhouse son of George and Mary DOB 30.1. 1839 from his baptism
-------------------------------------
YOU SAY:-
1 Baptism in Sheffield 1839 from FindMyPast, George and Mary DOB 29.3.1839
2 What I believe is an incorrect GRO with DOB 30.1. 1839 to Joseph and Mary(Hunter)

4 His first marriage was 1860 to Mary Ann Spencer who subsequently died . I have no cert for that
----------------------------------------------------------

My last thought on this thread !! is as thread above above, as it was not until the 1874 act of parliament that made it law parents of a child had to register the birth but could be registered a little later.

With George and Mary have had children Charles 1833 and daughter Mary 1836 both before the start of registration 1837 - only abt 1 1/2  years after its start year 1837 - so maybe they were unaware of registering or telling the registrar. (who was responsibility to do it)

Best of LUCK anyway.  :)

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Any transcription of information does not identify or prove anything.
Intended as a Guide only in ancestry research.-It is up to the reader as to any Judgment of assessments of information given! to check from original sources.

In my opinion the marriage residence is not always the place of birth. Never forget Workhouse and overseers accounts records of birth

Offline smithkei

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 07 August 23 07:27 BST (UK) »
To cap this off there is a quite interesting transcript of a talk from the National Archives on registration.

https://media.nationalarchives.gov.uk/index.php/early-civil-registration/

It was compulsory register births from 1837 but the onus was on the registrar. The 1874 Act moves the responsibility to the parents.

They estimate 7% of births were not registered.

This is the first time I didn’t find one. Often they are disguised by spelling errors. The other day I was searching for a Bettany, also using Bettaney, Betteney and other variations. I found him under Bettamy and that’s in the GRO original not a transcript.

Online softly softly

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 07 August 23 12:50 BST (UK) »
smithkei, I totally agree with ALL your findings, having gone through it with a fine tooth comb.

MOOREHOUSE, GEORGE       mmn BURKINSHAW 
GRO Reference: 1841  S Quarter in WORTLEY UNION  Volume 22  Page 663.

When George snr married Harriet Elliot 21.12.1841 he was a widower and occupation Grinder.

I too have a very similar situation, baptism, census, marriages but no gro birth record.

I would with confidence say your Thomas IS the son of George & Mary Birkinshaw.

John

ps forget Joseph & Mary Hunter  ;D

Offline smithkei

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 07 August 23 12:56 BST (UK) »
smithkei, I totally agree with ALL your findings, having gone through it with a fine tooth comb.

MOOREHOUSE, GEORGE       mmn BURKINSHAW 
GRO Reference: 1841  S Quarter in WORTLEY UNION  Volume 22  Page 663.

When George snr married Harriet Elliot 21.12.1841 he was a widower and occupation Grinder.

I too have a very similar situation, baptism, census, marriages but no gro birth record.

I would with confidence say your Thomas IS the son of George & Mary Birkinshaw.

John

ps forget Joseph & Mary Hunter  ;D

Thanks John. I’ve been researching this family about 5 years and when I look through my research log I started with the Hunter family, switched to Burkinshaw, then back to Hunter and now I’m 95% Burkinshaw 😂. The GRO and digital image would have been the clincher.

Online softly softly

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Monday 07 August 23 14:23 BST (UK) »
1861 census (re Thomas son of Joseph & Mary Hunter). Still single, yours was married 1860

Piece   3492
Folio   74
Page number   13

Joseph Moorhouse   49   Head
Mary A Moorhouse 52 Wife
Thomas Moorhouse 23 Son
John Moorhouse 19 Son
Mary Moorhouse 16 Daughter
William Moorhouse 14 Son

As a matter of interest how is your line going backwards to arrive at Thomas son of George & Mary.

John

Online softly softly

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Monday 07 August 23 14:51 BST (UK) »
Believe these to be the deaths of Joseph, Mary Ann(Nee' Hunter) and Thomas.

MOORHOUSE, THOMAS       aged 23  = 1839
GRO Reference: 1862  S Quarter in SHEFFIELD  Volume 09C  Page 204

MOORHOUSE, JOSEPH       aged 57  *as per 1861 census
GRO Reference: 1868  J Quarter in SHEFFIELD  Volume 09C  Page 265

MOORHOUSE, MARY  ANN     aged 60  * as per 1861 census
GRO Reference: 1869  J Quarter in SHEFFIELD  Volume 09C  Page 258

John

Offline smithkei

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Monday 07 August 23 17:25 BST (UK) »

As a matter of interest how is your line going backwards to arrive at Thomas son of George & Mary.

John

Thomas Moorhouse 1839-1908 is my 2nd Great Grandfather. His daughter Charlotte ( 1866-1938) married my Great Grandfather Harry Smith in Sheffield.